• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jon Sable Freelance

12 posts in this topic

Well I just finished reading Jon Sable: Freelance 1-56 for the first time since the 90's. This was an amazing series up to the point you could tell that Grell was working on DC stuff that was cutting in to his production time on JSF. After that, the art became scratchy and the stories were cookie cutter cover fillers.

I had never read issues 44-56 before .. the non-Grell art ones .. so that was rather interesting. It's kind of sad how the series took a back seat to Green Arrow and thus tailed off into oblivion like it did. He really had something special going on for a while.

Anyway, if you haven't read these they are worth picking up cheap and giving them a go. Barring possibly the worst Grell cover of all time (issue 52) you would at least have some nice looking covers to enjoy!

Man, I miss First Comics :(

I either have this or Scout #1. I'll have to go look sometime... hm

My JSF 1 is part of the coveted MGM Series same as my Longbow Hunters 1. Mike Grell Mangled :/ when signing back in the day.

I either have this or Scout #1. I'll have to go look sometime... hm

Another fantastic series that I enjoyed the early books. I still have the Scout signed HC that captures the first four issues, which is a great read.

Sorry to Jump in here, but I loved MG's work in JSF after reading them back in the 80's. I also loved reading Nexus and Badger back in the day. In fact some new Nexus work is being done by Mike Baron with Dark Horse. I have not read that material yet but the Rude art looks as good as always.

... In fact some new Nexus work is being done by Mike Baron with Dark Horse. I have not read that material yet but the Rude art looks as good as always.

Ya, I have all of those as well. I have had a full Nexus read sitting on my "to do" list for a while now :grin: