• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #34-35 are the most important Thanos apps of all after IM #55

218 posts in this topic

RMA - why didn't you show us the pictures of the palettes of copies of these issues you own?

With that said, i thought they did have an uptick after the avengers came out? thing is, there are soooo many copies, people need to be REALLY interested and most collectors have them already (as opposed to maybe an IM 55).

I totally agree and pick them up cheap any time I can. They re-introduce Thanos who at the time I only knew from the Avengers Annual I couldnt afford back then. It was magic. Starlin and Lim just made such a good combination.

Personally I like Thanos Quest better only because the way the book was produced with painted interiors which isnt done anymore. Those two books will eventually see an increase. Neat thing about 35 is some copies like above how a slightly different coloration on the cover. One showing Thanos bluish while the other he is purpleish.

I totally agree and pick them up cheap any time I can. They re-introduce Thanos who at the time I only knew from the Avengers Annual I couldnt afford back then. It was magic. Starlin and Lim just made such a good combination.

Personally I like Thanos Quest better only because the way the book was produced with painted interiors which isnt done anymore. Those two books will eventually see an increase. Neat thing about 35 is some copies like above how a slightly different coloration on the cover. One showing Thanos bluish while the other he is purpleish.

I remember being very disappointed with Thanos Quest. It seemed like a lot of buildup with very little story. Not worth two squarebound editions. I felt a little hte same way about Thanos' presence in Silver Surfer. It only really paid off in Infinity Gauntlet, which was totally worth it.

I remember being very disappointed with Thanos Quest. It seemed like a lot of buildup with very little story. Not worth two squarebound editions. I felt a little hte same way about Thanos' presence in Silver Surfer. It only really paid off in Infinity Gauntlet, which was totally worth it.

I will agree with you on the SS series, but I enjoyed Quest. I think I am a little biased though because I love the Elders as well. Loved the plot to kill Galactus early on in the SS series.

From the viewpoint of an italian reader which read the Starlin Warlock stories as a kid (around 1978), and read Thanos Quest and the second Silver Surfer series as they came out, all I can say is that I barely remember the content of the latter, while I constantly go back to the Warlock stories. Maybe it was just the Ron Lim drawings which I did not like? Don’t know, but I seem to recall I found Starlin’s new writing somewhat unconvincing.

Finding Thanos Quest in 2005 brought me back into the hobby. They were books I tried to find as a kid during the Infinity Gauntlet run, and I was happy to come back to it so many years later.

Since then, I've been piecing together more of his appearances, and luckily got my IM #55 just before the price jump.

I will say this, though, I have not found SS #34 or 35 locally, and I have been looking for awhile!