• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #34-35 are the most important Thanos apps of all after IM #55

218 posts in this topic

So are we now complaining about the artwork? Really? I thought it was excellent.

+1

Ron's the definitive Marvel Cosmic artist (thumbs u

Tomato / potato

So are we now complaining about the artwork? Really? I thought it was excellent.

+1

Ron's the definitive Marvel Cosmic artist (thumbs u

Well, actually no, once there were two guys named Ditko and Kirby . . . :baiting:

Excellent? With all the good will, Ron Lim has strong limitations. When the mastery of anatomy and drawing does not improve in a reasonable timespan, it’s clear that these are inherent limitations on the artist's part.

He was able to narrate, and that is good (not all comics artists are), but to say he drew in an "excellent" manner is either not being able to see or not wanting to see.

Some of the characters in certain panels were gratuitiously distorted (Drax comes to mind) and he often had no sense of tridimensionality at all.

I didn't mind Lim's work in Thanos Quest (the higher quality inking/coloring probably helped), but it dropped off subsequent to this, and we're talking about the Silver Surfer issues, which I didn't find very good at all.

And look at Lim on Infinity Crusade - that's pretty bad stuff.

I still shake my head at his Infinity Gauntlet issues. I blame Perez on that.

Great example. lol

Very similar to walking into the last issue of the Punisher Mini-Series expecting more exceptional Mike Zeck work and getting Mike Vosburg. doh!

Sooooooo True. lol

Didn't Perez drop IG to do the DC Mini War of the Gods? I gotta check on that.

No, he was doing both at the same time more or less. He dropped IG because he essentially lost interest in it due to it being so padded. I have an interview with him in one of my mags where he says he felt the whole thing could've been done in two issues.

I don't put Perez on a any sort of pedestal. Those painted covers to Teen Titans were just AWFUL and his sense of anatomy was pretty off, too. The covers of IG were good but that's about it, to me.

I don't love Lim by any means but there's no denying the cover of SS 34 to be classic. He didn't hold up on interiors - you're right. But to say he was bad is ignoring what else was coming out at the time. Timeless, he ain't...but because I'm a young insufficiently_thoughtful_person, he's THE Surfer artist to me.

I liked Lim's effort on The New Humans and have to agree with an earlier poster that his work didn't necessarily improve.Heck,Pat Boyette could have drawn The Silver Surfer and I would have still bought it.I waited 20 years for him to get his own series.Maybe this winter I may have to read it again.

Oh yeah.Starlin is and will always be the King of Cosmic.

I don't put Perez on a any sort of pedestal. Those painted covers to Teen Titans were just AWFUL and his sense of anatomy was pretty off, too. The covers of IG were good but that's about it, to me.

I don't love Lim by any means but there's no denying the cover of SS 34 to be classic. He didn't hold up on interiors - you're right. But to say he was bad is ignoring what else was coming out at the time. Timeless, he ain't...but because I'm a young insufficiently_thoughtful_person, he's THE Surfer artist to me.

Truth! Couldn't say it better myself. Lim is my SS artist forever, flaws and all. :applause:

I liked Lim's effort on The New Humans and have to agree with an earlier poster that his work didn't necessarily improve.Heck,Pat Boyette could have drawn The Silver Surfer and I would have still bought it.I waited 20 years for him to get his own series.Maybe this winter I may have to read it again.

Oh yeah.Starlin is and will always be the King of Cosmic.

Starlin is great, don't get me wrong, but without Steve and Jack defining the cosmic universe, Jim would have had to invent it all himself. Let's show a little respect here. :grin:

Truth! Couldn't say it better myself. Lim is my SS artist forever, flaws and all. :applause:

I'm really glad you guys feel that way, cuz I gots a ton of them. :cool:

Remember, there's a whole generation that reveres McFarlane as a "comic god" :sick:

Remember, there's a whole generation that reveres McFarlane as a "comic god" :sick:

I'm not of that generation, I was just late to the SS party and Lim is where I started. Nostalgia is a hell of a thing, no matter when it's rooted.