• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #34-35 are the most important Thanos apps of all after IM #55

218 posts in this topic

I will let prices of the books speak for themselves.

Unfortunately prices often do not speak much eloquently about quality re: New Mutants #98 :sick:

lol this is VERY true.

But in this case. Starlin wrote all the stories in the issues I mentioned above. The tale Starlin weaves from IM 55 through Marvel 2-in-1 is truly defines the cosmic impact created by Thanos.

While Silver Surfer 34 and 35 are important for the re-emergence of Thanos into the Marvel Universe, it hardly meets the importance of the original cross over stories by Starlin.

Almost completely wrong.

So are you going to say anything supporting your hypothesis?

Right now you are akin to an 8 year old sticking their tongue out.

hm

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_171.jpg

X-Men_Vol_1_48.jpg

hm

I bought a collection that has four copies of the X Men 171 in it and I didn't even realize it was a key.... doh!

Glad I haven't sold anything from the boxes.

It's not that big of a key, Rogue joins the X-Men. Not a big deal.

hm

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_171.jpg

X-Men_Vol_1_48.jpg

hm

I bought a collection that has four copies of the X Men 171 in it and I didn't even realize it was a key.... doh!

Glad I haven't sold anything from the boxes.

It's not worth a great deal of money...which is the point I was making...but as far as IMPORTANCE goes....? Rogue, a former villain tied directly to Mystique...? And now she becomes a member of the X-Men, and arguably one of the most recognizable members, as important as Storm, Cyclops, Colossus....?

Vastly important to the series. Foundational to the X-Men of the 80's, 90's, to today. The single most important issue between #142 and #266.

Therefore..."letting the prices of the books speak for themselves" doesn't always work.

Hard call while the significance is very important for a re-introduction I struggle to say its more important to Thanos then say TQ or IG.

I mean do we have the increase in popularity without TQ and IG?

I think as more discover that run for SS from 34-50 it will also increase the significance of the issue. SS was my first real introduction to Thanos.(Except for Death of Marvel) I had read MTWIO and Avengers Annuals, along with Warlock, but they didnt grab me as much as SS did.

I think as more discover that run for SS from 34-50 it will also increase the significance of the issue. SS was my first real introduction to Thanos.(Except for Death of Marvel) I had read MTWIO and Avengers Annuals, along with Warlock, but they didnt grab me as much as SS did.

It probably depends a lot on when and which context you read them first as well. We shouldn’t undervalue our subjective experience: not to despise it, but to put better in context the objective artistic value.

While ZaCrew has been a bit rough I agree that RMA should illustrate why he considers the Silver Surfer re-introduction issues of the Copper age so important for Thanos: considered they build on the original stories which already defined the character.

Opposing him to Silver Surfer: yes, that was new, and an original idea.

Would be interesting to have a thread to re-evaluate the importance of single issues, but not just Copper. :)

SS # 34 and 35 are far from being the most important Thanos books after IM # 55 but everyone's entitled to an opinion.

SS 34-35 should not be given short shrift. It reintroduced Thanos to the Marvel Universe after more than a 10 year absence. Between 1973 and 1978 the first Thanos saga rocked cosmic continuity. Then he was gone from the scene for twice as long as the original saga took to complete.

Without the SS books there is no Thanos Quest, no re-introduction of Adam Warlock and Drax, no Infinity Gauntlet, no Infinity War etc., etc.

It is a super important book in the life cycle of Thanos.

SS 34-35 should not be given short shrift. It reintroduced Thanos to the Marvel Universe after more than a 10 year absence. Between 1973 and 1978 the first Thanos saga rocked cosmic continuity. Then he was gone from the scene for twice as long as the original saga took to complete.

Without the SS books there is no Thanos Quest, no re-introduction of Adam Warlock and Drax, no Infinity Gauntlet, no Infinity War etc., etc.

It is a super important book in the life cycle of Thanos.

Can you imagine Marvel not using a villian of that stature for TEN years nowadays?? he was in Spidey Super Stories for criminey sakes! How did Thanos not pop up in the Byrne FF run when they did all their cosmic zaniness? or in secret wars or contest of champions or when they made that hip black chick the new captain marvel...