• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bank Safety Deposit Box for Blue Chips?

53 posts in this topic

Opinions please:

Should I put a handfull of (uninsured) blue chip comics (figure 15K average) - all CGC - in a bank safety deposit box?

or

Get them insured (much more costly) and keep them at home?

If the latter - any recs on insurers?

Thanks

If you insure, go with Collectibles Insurance out of Maryland. Most dealers and collectors use them. I've had them many years now. My premium averages about $60 per month and I'm getting about $130k+ of umbrella coverage. Plus I'm covered for insurance for packages sent to and from me. Saves a ton on shipping insurance on four and five figure books :)

I've got CI and have also really liked them. I haven't had to make a claim yet (fortunately, knock on wood), but other boardies have said that claims for them have been smooth.

I'm also toying with putting books in our safe deposit box. It has the room, and I would only put 3-4 slabs in there, but my concerns are more about environment (heat, humidity, etc).

If you insure, go with Collectibles Insurance out of Maryland. Most dealers and collectors use them. I've had them many years now. My premium averages about $60 per month and I'm getting about $130k+ of umbrella coverage. Plus I'm covered for insurance for packages sent to and from me. Saves a ton on shipping insurance on four and five figure books :)

Great! Actually just got off the phone with them - they seemed great. Glad to hear confirmation!

Great! Actually just got off the phone with them - they seemed great. Glad to hear confirmation!

they are wonderful and prompt in my email responses! They go to major cons too so it's good to know they have a presence. The shipping coverage they offer Is a big plus. Also, they will cover ur books in different locations (bank and home and coverage for travel to conventions for loss)

Is that a dealer or collector policy? I don't think the collector policies cover shipping, do they?

Is there any comparable coverage CI offers available in Canada?
i think they cover world wide so you need not live in states.

Are you sure about this? The last time I spoke with them, they mentioned there was no coverage for Canadians.

Is that a dealer or collector policy? I don't think the collector policies cover shipping, do they?

Yes it does...but only up to $250 unless it's sent with $100 insurance and signature required. That's good till $2500, after that I think you have to send it registered and mine at least covers to $50k.

+1 for this.

A safety deposit box is the most secure way to avoid theft but then you don't get to enjoy the comic. :(

I have the insurance and it's a nice added level of security in case something horrible happens.

Just got off the phone with them and they don't offer coverage in Canada, and won't anytime soon :sorry:

I wonder why? That stinks

The lady I spoke with said the regulations here make it difficult for them to offer coverage without having an office. I found that strange since many companies keep virtual offices, but maybe they don't think it's viable. (shrug)

Yes it does...but only up to $250 unless it's sent with $100 insurance and signature required. That's good till $2500, after that I think you have to send it registered and mine at least covers to $50k.

So I can get a collector policy, send a package with $100 insurance and signature confirmation required and it will cover up to $2500 of the policy limit? What about books being sent to me?

Just got off the phone with them and they don't offer coverage in Canada, and won't anytime soon :sorry:

So do we Canucks have any options?

What about renters insurance or your home owners policy?

Is there any comparable coverage CI offers available in Canada?
i think they cover world wide so you need not live in states.

Are you sure about this? The last time I spoke with them, they mentioned there was no coverage for Canadians.

i could be wrong then. Hmmm

I wonder why? That stinks

The lady I spoke with said the regulations here make it difficult for them to offer coverage without having an office. I found that strange since many companies keep virtual offices, but maybe they don't think it's viable. (shrug)

bummer. I would think an office wouldn't prevent coverage being offered. Unless you store your collectibles in US lol