• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is $35-$40 too much for a facilitator for 1 book?

109 posts in this topic

Does all of the $35-40 go to DWC or does Stan Lee charge extra for a book to the CGC SS? I know other creators do. Does CGC get a cut?

It seems like when a DWC thread apears the same 2 or 3 have never had a problem and the same 2 or 3 have had nothing but problems.

If you are mailing the book to DWC, it's $110 for a modern Stan Lee SS book (excluding the CGC return shipping fees). If you are bringing the book to a show where Stan is appearing, the cost is $95-100, depending on whether you pay by credit card or cash. Both of those scenarios involve the book being subbed under DWC's account, not yours.

If you want to sub the book under your own account, DWC usually charges you $20 on top of the Stan Lee signing fee (which is $50-55, again depending on how you pay), for a total of $70-75..

Like I pointed out earlier, that they charged him $40 (instead of $20) is either due to a price increase or an error on DWC's side - I've subbed Stan Lee SS books under my own account through DWC several times in the past and have been charged $20 every time (with the explanation being that half went directly to Stan and half went to cover DWC's expenses).

If this has now gone up to $40, that's DWC's prerogative - but it would be nice to have a confirmation either way.

Looks like right now (it started at $90) it's a question of $20 or $40 from mschmidt breakdown. Jdub pointed out that the $90 fee looks like the raw modern fee from the DWC website screenshot. But the op has stated he has not asked for a breakdown of the fees. People on the boards are on a guessing point right now. I just find this 7 pages interesting for $more for a birthday present

Why? Would it change the amount charged? I knew there would be a fee and I knew that I was paying for the privilege of putting the book on my account. But it was worth it to me since DWC has a habit of misplacing people's books for a long time.

I was just surprised by how much it was. The purpose of this thread was to let people know and to see if I was crazy for thinking it to be high. Why would I ask DWC about anything?

"I just find this 7 pages interesting for $more for a birthday present"

Having no care one way or another in this fight I have to take issue with this statement. It does not matter if it was for himself or for a birthday present. If you feel like you were charged too much money it really does not matter the reason why. If you go to a store and buy something and find out you were over charged do not tell me you would not look into it just because it was a present for a friend instead of an item you planned to keep for yourself.

Does that $20 amount only apply to those who actually stand in line and get the signature?

Either way, I'm sure the OP was savvy enough to secure a price quote prior to dropping off the book, right?

It shouldn't really matter that it is DWC. But it does because it is DWC, and they are always a lightning rod for controversy. There are dozens of threads that have been started relating to CGC's fees and charges - price hikes, add'l sig fees, invoice fees etc. They are always fair game.

Why should facilitator fees be immune to question? $40 for handling of one book is a lot of money. It may have been a mistake, or it may not have been. Shouting someone down for questioning fees is not in the spirit of free exchange of ideas.

There have been no personal attacks against DWC, nor any allegations that they have done anything wrong. It is merely a discussion about pricing. Why all the hand wringing?

It shouldn't really matter that it is DWC. But it does because it is DWC, and they are always a lightning rod for controversy. There are dozens of threads that have been started relating to CGC's fees and charges - price hikes, add'l sig fees, invoice fees etc. They are always fair game.

Why should facilitator fees be immune to question? $40 for handling of one book is a lot of money. It may have been a mistake, or it may not have been. Shouting someone down for questioning fees is not in the spirit of free exchange of ideas.

There have been no personal attacks against DWC, nor any allegations that they have done anything wrong. It is merely a discussion about pricing. Why all the hand wringing?

I'm not saying he shouldn't question the fees and whether or not he was charged appropriately, just that regardless of who the facilitator was on the book they should have been contacted first before the thread was started.

I'm not saying he shouldn't question the fees and whether or not he was charged appropriately, just that regardless of who the facilitator was on the book they should have been contacted first before the thread was started.

Understood. The genie ain't going back in the bottle, however.

Understood. The genie ain't going back in the bottle, however.

It never seems to. How'd they get that darn thing in there in the first place? lol

This thread made me double-check my DWC invoice for a Stan Lee sig at Comikaze. Here's what the invoice says:

$110

$5

$10

$18

Total: $143

110 for the main fee (as the website said), $5 for the invoice fee, $10 fast track, $18 for shipping. I subbed my Herb Trimpe sketch. They didn't charge me cracking fee. Seeing how crazy it was at Comikaze, and knowing it will be Stan's last SoCal appearance of the year, then later knowing Stan cancelled a lot of his appearance, I didn't mind paying that amount.

All I know is if you think DWC is crazy expensive, watch out for GACollectibles and seanfingh. It cost me my first born child to get some books signed in Cincy.

:insane:

I kidd, I kidd. I wish I could use Andrew and Sean at every show and con that I go to. I still think DWC charges way too much money and they pretty much put a strangehold on getting anything signed by Stan Lee which I think is completely wrong. If you have your own account or can use a different witness they shouldn't be able to do this, but CGC allows it. :(

DWC confirms the charge on the website. See pick above.

doh!

No, they don't.

If you are mailing the book to DWC, it's $110 for a modern Stan Lee SS book (excluding the CGC return shipping fees). If you are bringing the book to a show where Stan is appearing, the cost is $95-100, depending on whether you pay by credit card or cash. Both of those scenarios involve the book being subbed under DWC's account, not yours.

If you want to sub the book under your own account, DWC usually charges you $20 on top of the Stan Lee signing fee (which is $50-55, again depending on how you pay), for a total of $70-75..

Like I pointed out earlier, that they charged him $40 (instead of $20) is either due to a price increase or an error on DWC's side - I've subbed Stan Lee SS books under my own account through DWC several times in the past and have been charged $20 every time (with the explanation being that half went directly to Stan and half went to cover DWC's expenses).

If this has now gone up to $40, that's DWC's prerogative - but it would be nice to have a confirmation either way.

You know, you're right. The fees listed on the site are for mail-ins. There is nothing mentioned about what is charged when the book is handed off at a show, but I assume (big word there) that it is the same. The difference would be if the person dropping the book off already bought a ticket and stood in line. The way I read it, and we would have to contact DWC to clarify, their fees include any ticketing or additional signing fees or whatever you want to call it.

Ultimately, it all comes down to a simple clarification of fees from the person/entity charging them.

So maybe I should've expected this after all. I was going through some old cgc receipts and stumbled across one from wizard Chicago this August. I submitted an economy book to DWC at their booth for Stan's signature and onsite grading. The published onsite grading fee for an economy book was $50. Here is the breakdown from the invoice:

=80

Hand 20

Auto 80

= 150 pd cash

I had a 2 books done Express at NYCC for Stan Lee.

Here's my invoice:

$236

$5 (invoice)

$110 (tickets w/credit card)

$40 (fee for getting them signed for me)

$20 shipping

$411 total

These books are valuable enough for me to spend $200 each, but I can't imagine spending $110 on a random modern.

Alittle off topic, but I just called CGC today to check on the status of my Express books from NYCC and they still haven't received them from DWC (no record of my invoice). I guess it will take 4-6 weeks for me to get them. Not worried, just confused why its taking them so long to get to CGC.

You're not worried that you paid express and not getting it? If you want to give away a couple hundred dollars, I'll PM you my paypal address.