• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hobby of the future

82 posts in this topic

I'd like to play games, my son is 11 and he would really enjoy sharing them with me but I've found I'm simply too pathetic with the controllers to be any good at them...for example, I tried playing Iron Man and would simply end up spinning in a corner. I can Wii ok but he's more into his XBox and PS3 games. generational thing I imagine (I'm 47), although I'm sure if I devoted a few continuous days I'd get the hang of it.

In your defense, as far as video game mechanics go, the controls on Iron Man are known for being horrendous.

But actually, yours is a common complaint. For people who didn't grow up with controllers in their hands, it's a surprisingly difficult hurdle to overcome. My ex girlfriend was interested in playing games with me, but getting a handle on the controller was maddening for her.

That's sexist.

I'd like to play games, my son is 11 and he would really enjoy sharing them with me but I've found I'm simply too pathetic with the controllers to be any good at them...for example, I tried playing Iron Man and would simply end up spinning in a corner. I can Wii ok but he's more into his XBox and PS3 games. generational thing I imagine (I'm 47), although I'm sure if I devoted a few continuous days I'd get the hang of it.

In your defense, as far as video game mechanics go, the controls on Iron Man are known for being horrendous.

But actually, yours is a common complaint. For people who didn't grow up with controllers in their hands, it's a surprisingly difficult hurdle to overcome. My ex girlfriend was interested in playing games with me, but getting a handle on the controller was maddening for her.

That's sexist.

I used to make comments to her about her boobs and other body parts.

I’m showing my old age, but I’ve never understood the appeal of collecting ‘high grade’ video games for big bucks. Pretty much every other type of ephemera I can think of that’s been collected up to now I can understand, and collecting old games for the sake of collecting old games I can understand, but I still can’t wrap my head around the prices MIB games generate.

Objectively speaking, is it really much harder than understanding price differences for 9.0-9.8 comics?

Very simple: supply & demand. There are way more kids into games than there are kids into comics today, just wait until they are old enough to have both nostalgic longings and the money feed that desire. As far as why sealed boxes, COI is right, it really is no different than HG CGC ( or really any other form of collecting). The intrinsic value for both games and comics is entertainment, and that value is essentially nullified when sealed or encapsulated (assuming they are kept that way).

PS thank you for justifying my controller ineptitude, I feel a tiny bit less feeble knowing it isn't just me

but a video game in a shiny box doesn't have the aesthetic appeal or cache as an objec't d'art that a comic, or coin, or matchbook or whatever does.

I don't disagree, but I understand why others collect them. Personally I love video games, but my money actually goes into buying stuff I want to play/use. I tried getting into sealed stuff a few times, but it never took hold. I'd rather spend $500 on new consoles or games to play than a collectible game piece.

The part about collectibles that seems most foreign to me are the factors of practicality and cultural disconnect. Most basic in this line of thinking: why would people collect currency they no longer can use; collect comics they aren't able to read; collect toys or video games they can't play because they're too old to be playing with them, or need to find a discontinued, archaic console to even play it.

None of it makes logical sense to outsiders looking in, especially when a discussion about their value is brought up. But to those bound to that childhood memory or immersed hip deep in collecting, the logic nag is about as likely to be heard as listening to parents telling their kids comics, toys and video games turn their brains to mush.

Putting aside these high end sales, the sheer volume of game collectors out there is staggering, and that's the real indicator that games will be the "hobby of the future". Just go type in "game collection" into youtube and see how many thousands of relevant videos pop up.

I was never really into video games. Still am not. That's enough for me to avoid that hobby.

You're missing out. Not on the collecting front, but on the game-playing front.

He should start with Silver Surfer for the NES.

That or The Uncanny X-Men.

In regards to the OP, I don't think that the auction you listed will end up being a completed sale. That's just way too much $ for those games.

Seems like a new record is being set for videogames every month.

Assuming this is real, it's a very impressive number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Legend-of-Zelda-NES-Nintendo-VGA-85-Zelda-II-Adventures-of-Link-VGA-90-/230826835745?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item35be59ff21

I have five to ten copies of each of these games in storage; brand new factory storage. Been quietly liquidating my stock over the past year. This auction is NOT mine (I want to point that out before anyone asks). If anyone here thinks this is a realistic amount for these games; I will gladly sell you both; as shown for $30,000. Any takers (lol)?

I caution anyone from entering this market and I am a dealer.

I do have a question though as this topic comes up on this forum quite more than usual; generally from someone not directly involved in the 'hobby.' I keep hearing that this is the next big 'thing.' I speak on behalf of a lot of my mentors and even many antique and collectible experts who want to know at what benchmark are you using to determine when this 'next big thing' has arrived? Is it market demand? When individual auction houses cater to the product?

I can tell you first hand that there is a TON of price manipulation using eBay; in regards to a lot of these auctions. Remember that proposed 1.2 million dollar video game sale that everyone was amazed about a few months back? That never sold! No money changed hands and the media announced it was a massive sale. Hard to sell something when no money is changing hands.

Just a view from inside the business.

Respectfully,

'mint'

PS: No, I am not dead; those rumors are false! lol!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Legend-of-Zelda-NES-Nintendo-VGA-85-Zelda-II-Adventures-of-Link-VGA-90-/230826835745?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item35be59ff21

Graded video games? Where will it end? :ohnoez:

I'll guess celebrity-worn clothing items graded by soil factor might be the eventual tipping point.

8113716214_4f08d1b59d_b.jpg

131238.jpg.e2568b545eee5af60c9b57abf3ee55f8.jpg

I'll guess celebrity-worn clothing items graded by soil factor might be the eventual tipping point.

I'll bed you can smell those through the slab. hm

Putting aside these high end sales, the sheer volume of game collectors out there is staggering, and that's the real indicator that games will be the "hobby of the future". Just go type in "game collection" into youtube and see how many thousands of relevant videos pop up.

I was never really into video games. Still am not. That's enough for me to avoid that hobby.

You're missing out. Not on the collecting front, but on the game-playing front.

He should start with Silver Surfer for the NES.

lol Perfect. He has a lot of hair to pull out.

:taptaptap:

I do have a question though as this topic comes up on this forum quite more than usual; generally from someone not directly involved in the 'hobby.' I keep hearing that this is the next big 'thing.' I speak on behalf of a lot of my mentors and even many antique and collectible experts who want to know at what benchmark are you using to determine when this 'next big thing' has arrived? Is it market demand? When individual auction houses cater to the product?

I don't know when it has "arrived", but I personally think it's the next big thing based on demographics. There are a lot of people between the ages of 15-35 spending a lot of disposable income building up game collections, and I don't see that slowing down any time soon.

There may not be "high end" games selling at Heritage right now, but cumulatively, there's already a lot of money being thrown around now.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Was waiting for you to post.

(thumbs u

I actually collect video games and sealed NES games in particular. I have a very nice sealed Zelda, grey seal. Not an 85 but probably a 75-80. That being said, this auction result is waayy off the charts and way beyond the regular going rate.

I'll bed you can smell those through the slab. hm

I thought they graded a lot harsher on stains. :shrug:

I have five to ten copies of each of these games in storage; brand new factory storage. Been quietly liquidating my stock over the past year. This auction is NOT mine (I want to point that out before anyone asks). If anyone here thinks this is a realistic amount for these games; I will gladly sell you both; as shown for $30,000. Any takers (lol)?

I caution anyone from entering this market and I am a dealer.

I can tell you first hand that there is a TON of price manipulation using eBay; in regards to a lot of these auctions. Remember that proposed 1.2 million dollar video game sale that everyone was amazed about a few months back? That never sold! No money changed hands and the media announced it was a massive sale. Hard to sell something when no money is changing hands.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I like this guy. (thumbs u

Added to my short list of boardies I'd like to meet. :wishluck:

Andy

I actually collect video games and sealed NES games in particular. I have a very nice sealed Zelda, grey seal. Not an 85 but probably a 75-80. That being said, this auction result is waayy off the charts and way beyond the regular going rate.

Yeah even 10k would be a very nice sale for these. It's a grey seal Zelda but there are at least two earlier non rev a grey seal versions. Link 90 is nice and would command some dough if it wasn't for the fact there are both quite a few copies and a lot of high grades copies particularly, as some cases were found.

The highest confirmed sale I know of on a Zelda is 15k, but that was for a true first edition. There are nine or ten different editions (very slight box changes thru the years, you really have to be paying attention). A true first sealed is a real rarity.

How much for those? I have the matching bra.

I don't know when it has "arrived", but I personally think it's the next big thing based on demographics. There are a lot of people between the ages of 15-35 spending a lot of disposable income building up game collections, and I don't see that slowing down any time soon.

There may not be "high end" games selling at Heritage right now, but cumulatively, there's already a lot of money being thrown around now.

Or does it appear so?

I find this act of possible price manipulation disgusting in any hobby. The supposed 1.2 million dollar video game sale never took place; according to what has been said. If that is the case, and even if a retraction was printed to those who published the story; would it matter? All that people outside the hobby remember is that a collection sold for 'X.' It does NOT seem to matter if the sale took place or not. Have you guys ever looked at the price of these items when they sell at straight auction? Do a check on ebay of graded games 85 or higher (or even 80) and see what the prices sold for; if they sold at all. Some DO get good prices, but far more sell for less than stellar prices and most don't sell at the ridiculous starting bids the original seller is asking. There are far MORE UNSOLD graded items than sold ones. I am not saying that certain items are NOT selling at a strong price. In fact, some of the 'black label' NES games I sold have gotten strong prices, as these are the truly scarce games; with the exception of a few. I would not be buying SMB however, as this game is quite common and was the first sealed NES game I bought for $5 each! They are overpriced, but that is another topic of discussion. You can ask anything you want for an item. If it does NOT sell, what good is it? Is it really media attention worthy? As I get older and more wiser in the antiques and collectibles market I see this kind of thing happening across all areas of the entire antiques/collectibles market.

I sold a SMB white seal in VGA 85 for several thousand dollars. I specifically answered all the buyer's questions about the item. I told him to be cautious about the item in question and not view it as an investment. Six months later I get an angry call from the individual because he chose to sell the item and got much less for it. Why am I responsible for an item this individual agreed to pay for; six months after the fact, just because he sold at a loss? This is why I prefer to sell these items on consignment. I don't have to deal with the buyer up front and I still make a decent profit compared to what I paid for the items. How many other sellers tell their customers the item they are buying may not be a good investmnent to begin with? I bought most of my 'stock' on closeout. I paid $5-$20 a game. That is it. I would never pay much more for a ,lot of these items. Just my opinion. They are too many better places to stash your cash.

Once it is said and done, I will keep one graded game in 85 or above for myself. Almost everything else will be sold soon. This is an untested market at best in my opinion. If you are entering the market you are much better buying mint and complete games, because at the very least you can play them and you will save money to 'boot.'

By the way, the reason I asked my inittial questions about how you will know when the next big thing arrives is simple; I just want to knwo what everyone is using as a barometer to guage this. On Saturday, October 20, I attended a marbles auction at Morphy's Auction. I spent a lot of cash. That being said, one individual paid well over $20,000 for a single marble. Has this hobby now become the next big thing? Auction houses have been catering to marbles for over ten years now and the internet is full of forums and speciality auction sites.

Antique glass bottles are another 'hot' item right now. Mt glass collection is up 225% from what I paid for it. American Bottle Auctions recently had an auction full of record breaking prices. People have been paying tens and tens of thousands of dollars for one bottle for years now. Has this market officially arrived?

My point is that I continually hear people refer to certain markets as the 'next big thing.' The antiques and collectibles market is very dynamic and always changing. How will you recognize the next big 'fad' from the next big thing? People have been paying high prices for video games since the 1990's. Even grading has been around for more than several years.

Just an opinion.

Respectfully,

'mint'

I remember walking into Toy Works many years ago and buying up a bunch of NES games cheap on clearance. Sadly, I actually wanted to play them :banana: and broke the shrink.

I still have all the boxes and instruction manuals though. How's the market for games that are basically brand new just not in shrink wrap?