• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you "crack a slab" safely?

27 posts in this topic

Personally, I would never use a scissor to cut the book out of the inner well.

Every book I've cracked (and there were a lot of them) I've used scissors to cut the inner well. Not recommending it as such but I've never had a problem with it.

Every book I've cracked (and there were a lot of them) I've used scissors to cut the inner well. Not recommending it as such but I've never had a problem with it.

Scissors can pinch. a very sharp X-acto knife is the perfect instrument.

Scissors can pinch. a very sharp X-acto knife is the perfect instrument.

Not when you're as good with scissors as I am. zytrafumay.gif

I saw that as well - every book I have cracked, I used a razor and a straight-edge to protect the book, and I cut it along two sides to make it easier to remove, rather than risk a thumb indention, or potentially tearing a weak spot because the book is still snug inside the inner well.

I saw that as well - every book I have cracked, I used a razor and a straight-edge to protect the book, and I cut it along two sides to make it easier to remove, rather than risk a thumb indention, or potentially tearing a weak spot because the book is still snug inside the inner well.

A razor and straight edge is what we use in our LCS to take them out with. We had an incident to where the person taking out a slabbed comic got distracted and ended up cutting the comic itself with scissors. With a razor and straight edge the person pays a little more attention because not only do they not want to hurt the comic, but don't want to cut themselves

+1

Why hasn't anyone suggested a paper cutter which will cut a perfectly straight edge? Do I really have to make a You Tube video just to show the obvious safest way to open the inner well?

I was going to just go ahead and do one right now but I don't currently have any slabs that need cracking. That and I have no experience uploading video's to You Tube or photobucket.

+1

Why hasn't anyone suggested a paper cutter which will cut a perfectly straight edge? Do I really have to make a You Tube video just to show the obvious safest way to open the inner well?

I was going to just go ahead and do one right now but I don't currently have any slabs that need cracking. That and I have no experience uploading video's to You Tube or photobucket.

It's not very convenient to carry a fifty pound paper cutter with you to conventions for slab cracking. After watching Shawn Caffrey, I am convinced the safest, quickest way is the three slice method with a box cutter/X-acto knife.

+1

It's not very convenient to carry a fifty pound paper cutter with you to conventions for slab cracking. After watching Shawn Caffrey, I am convinced the safest, quickest way is the three slice method with a box cutter/X-acto knife.

I also use a paper cutter. Not the cheap Staples type but a heavy duty metal one that has weight to it. I crack a lot of slabs and it is the easiest, fastest and safest way IMHO. When I press on-site I bring it with me to crack out slabs.