• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you "crack a slab" safely?

27 posts in this topic

Personally, I would never use a scissor to cut the book out of the inner well.

+1

Why hasn't anyone suggested a paper cutter which will cut a perfectly straight edge? Do I really have to make a You Tube video just to show the obvious safest way to open the inner well?

I was going to just go ahead and do one right now but I don't currently have any slabs that need cracking. That and I have no experience uploading video's to You Tube or photobucket.

It's not very convenient to carry a fifty pound paper cutter with you to conventions for slab cracking. After watching Shawn Caffrey, I am convinced the safest, quickest way is the three slice method with a box cutter/X-acto knife.

I also use a paper cutter. Not the cheap Staples type but a heavy duty metal one that has weight to it. I crack a lot of slabs and it is the easiest, fastest and safest way IMHO. When I press on-site I bring it with me to crack out slabs.

Oh, I can see how it would be awesome, but, as i said, it is not feasible unless one is setting up a slab cracking station in their hotel room.

+1

Why hasn't anyone suggested a paper cutter which will cut a perfectly straight edge? Do I really have to make a You Tube video just to show the obvious safest way to open the inner well?

I was going to just go ahead and do one right now but I don't currently have any slabs that need cracking. That and I have no experience uploading video's to You Tube or photobucket.

It's not very convenient to carry a fifty pound paper cutter with you to conventions for slab cracking. After watching Shawn Caffrey, I am convinced the safest, quickest way is the three slice method with a box cutter/X-acto knife.

I also use a paper cutter. Not the cheap Staples type but a heavy duty metal one that has weight to it. I crack a lot of slabs and it is the easiest, fastest and safest way IMHO. When I press on-site I bring it with me to crack out slabs.

Oh, I can see how it would be awesome, but, as i said, it is not feasible unless one is setting up a slab cracking station in their hotel room.

(shrug) lightsaber?

+1

You mean like this? Cracked out about a dozen books this afternoon.

Main thing it takes to crack out comics safely is being confident, and practiced at whatever method you use.

A razor, and straight edge work for me because I use both a lot.

On SA/GA slabs, the blade cuts next to the ruler, right over the sonic weld seam next to the raised portion of the innerwell.

Always cut 3 sides.

Always use a thick bladed utility knife vs a thin pointy exact-o.

Always tamp the comic to the opposite side before cutting.

Always lift the Mylar off the spine side first.

Make sure the cover does not have severe static cling before lifting the Mylar off.

And only slide out the comic once you are sure it is not hung up on something unseen.

Paper cutters work fine, but since you will not always have access to one is a good reason to get skilled using a blade.

Not to mention many older GA books are packed so tightly into undersized innerwell holders that a paper cutter cannot get close enough to create separation without fear of damaging the comic.

A hand held blade/ruler will always give you more control over where, and how you cut.

And yes the music was an homage to ol chrome dome. ;)

Ok, I did it successfully. It was a lot easier than I thought. The PGX slabs seem to have a bit more room in them for cutting than CGC. It was really no problem at all. I should have cut one of the sides in addition to the top, but the book slid out easily enough.

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure it'll help someone else out as well.