• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Liefeld Announces His Retirement From Comics

96 posts in this topic

It is our duty to ensure Rob is never forgotten, and that future generations have the opportunity to enjoy his distorted view on human anatomy.

Thanks for everything bud.

liefeldgirl.jpg

Modeled after a mud-wasp.

Mud-Dauber.jpg

Huh....you're right.

It is our duty to ensure Rob is never forgotten, and that future generations have the opportunity to enjoy his distorted view on human anatomy.

Thanks for everything bud.

liefeldgirl.jpg

Modeled after a mud-wasp.

Mud-Dauber.jpg

Huh....you're right.

I think hanging from one of those upsidedown machines everyday would do wonders for that spine problem

:news:

LINK

:D

After an acrimonious split with DC Comics, in which he left the publisher and the three comics he was working on in a flurry of Twitter action, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Rob Liefeld’s profile in comics lessened a bit; he’s working on, or in negotiations for, at least three feature films based on his comics work that we know of, which can be a time-consuming ordeal.

Nobody expected that he would step away from comics completely, though, which is what some are claiming has happened.

Responding to a comment by fellow artist Ethan Van Sciver on Facebook that called upon Liefeld to draw “Badrock Obama,” the veteran artist said, “Ethan, I am retired from comics but you have my blessing, it would look great if you drew it.”

That comment was seized upon by news-and-gossip site Bleeding Cool, who ran it as his retirement “announcement,” prompting Liefeld to respond via Twitter. “No, I did not announce anything,” the artist tweeted. “I made a comment.”

“No I am not permanently retired from comics,” Liefeld tweeted just moments ago. “I’m too young! Momentarily, yes. Geez, let a guy enjoy some R and R.”

He added, “I am currently retired from any comics work. There is no announcement here. Please. Carry on.”

He later added that he should have said he was on sabbatical, but that it was late at night.

This means that Liefeld will at least theoretically be able to return for some work on the Extreme relaunch, which has been doing better than almost anyone anticipated, including some of the as-yet-unpublished titles that have been teased for that line.

Added Marvel Comics’s Jim Viscardi, “So it’s more like a comic book death, then?”

Perfectly said.

Shortest retirement ever!

:)

I like a lot of Rob's work. When I get home tonight I will post a Wolverine he did for me at WWC a few years back. IMO I like a lot more of his work than some of people that are working now. Like for example AVX one panel might ok and then the rest are horrible. I not finished reading AVX because I work 2 jobs and coach volleyball, but looking at some of those panels is painful!

Oh and I think he will be back and I hope he is.

Rob seems like a nice dude and you can tell he loves comics. I hope he comes back if he rediscovers that love of making them. I know he was an inspiration to every kid my age who wanted to break into comics. He got to live the fanboy dream and you cant take that away from him regardless of your opinions of his artistic talent.

He's retiring ahead of an impending doping scandal that's going to hit comic artists worldwide. 20 of 21 artists are being implicated in administering performance enhancing ink to their characters.

I think he's been sponsored by Levis to quit.

LINK

After an acrimonious split with DC Comics, in which he left the publisher and the three comics he was working on in a flurry of Twitter action, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Rob Liefeld’s profile in comics lessened a bit; he’s working on, or in negotiations for, at least three feature films based on his comics work that we know of, which can be a time-consuming ordeal.

Nobody expected that he would step away from comics completely, though, which is what some are claiming has happened.

Responding to a comment by fellow artist Ethan Van Sciver on Facebook that called upon Liefeld to draw “Badrock Obama,” the veteran artist said, “Ethan, I am retired from comics but you have my blessing, it would look great if you drew it.”

That comment was seized upon by news-and-gossip site Bleeding Cool, who ran it as his retirement “announcement,” prompting Liefeld to respond via Twitter. “No, I did not announce anything,” the artist tweeted. “I made a comment.”

“No I am not permanently retired from comics,” Liefeld tweeted just moments ago. “I’m too young! Momentarily, yes. Geez, let a guy enjoy some R and R.”

He added, “I am currently retired from any comics work. There is no announcement here. Please. Carry on.”

He later added that he should have said he was on sabbatical, but that it was late at night.

This means that Liefeld will at least theoretically be able to return for some work on the Extreme relaunch, which has been doing better than almost anyone anticipated, including some of the as-yet-unpublished titles that have been teased for that line.

Added Marvel Comics’s Jim Viscardi, “So it’s more like a comic book death, then?”

Perfectly said.

Dammit. There must have been a douchenozzle shortage in the comics industry to bring him back.

We bag on the guy, but the fact is that he was a very successful artist back in the day and part of a group that really changed the industry. I can't personally stand his art, and more power to him for having been able to do what he wanted for so many years,

Now on to making fun of wrists, knees, ankles, and characters with five-hundred pouches on their belts...

LINK

Perfectly said.

Dammit. There must have been a douchenozzle shortage in the comics industry to bring him back.

I like how he seems surprised that anyone would take anything he says seriously. lol

We bag on the guy, but the fact is that he was a very successful artist back in the day and part of a group that really changed the industry. I can't personally stand his art, and more power to him for having been able to do what he wanted for so many years,

Now on to making fun of wrists, knees, ankles, and characters with five-hundred pouches on their belts...

I felt the same way until I actually read all the unprofessional and unethical things he's done in the industry. He's a Grade A Assclown, and he'll better serve the profession if he just dropped off the face of the planet, and was never heard from again. He is the poster boy for being a douchenozzle.

The Liefeld 40 Worst . Oh, and we must not forget tht Million Year Picnic's "Rob Liefeld drinking game": I beleieve someone mentioned the likelihood of alcohol poisoning occurring, so play with caution.

Rules: Read any comic both drawn and written by Rob Liefeld (X-Force, Youngblood, Brigade, etc.)

Take 1 drink for every time the following occur:

clenched teeth

mouth open really wide in battle cry

action shot where background is just abstract colored space

leg of running/jumping character positioned so that you can only see thigh

spray of bullets that doesn't hit anybody

large gun that shoots colored blasts of indeterminate nature

character or team moves into/out of another dimension or otherwise warps

character seeming to fly, who cannot actually fly

character who is not invulnerable casually jumps out of plane/space ship

indoor floor that is colored green, silver or red

TOAST RULE: Take a shot for each pouch you see on a character.

Bonus round: when a new "team" of enemies or allies is introduced, take 1 drink for each correctly-predicted member:

exactly one big guy

exactly one woman

exactly one flying guy

exactly one character with black and white face makeup

exactly one robot (robotic nature may not be immediately obvious)

exactly one black guy with gun and no discernable powers

white male leader, regular size, with gun and no discernable powers

In addition, 1 drink must be taken for every team member who wears segmented metallic rings around their arm-shoulder joints.

The maximum number of drinks for a new team appearance, 14, has been documented (during a reading/drinking of Brigade #2). The successful completion of any Rob Liefeld issue under these rules, however, has never been recorded.