• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Daredevil #1 (that is currently in a PGX Slab) *BACK FROM CGC UPDATE

45 posts in this topic

Ok,

I cracked the slab and getting ready to ship out to Joeypost for cleaning and pressing.

One thing I discoverd: Bottom staple is popped. I guessed that was teh case (from what I could see through the slab) but it's confirmed.

Anyway, I thought I would post the pre-scan. Feel free to reevaluate your grades now before CGC grading:

792573-8.jpg

792573-17.jpg

I'll say a 3.5

It wouldn't be an Apparent grade as there (hopefully) isn't any resto...

The popped staple could get you a Qualified grade but I don't think it will in this case.

Colors look fantastic. There is quite a bit of structural wear though. (Does a clean & press make sense here? The book looks clean and the wear looks color-breaking. Just curious.)

Right in between 3.0/3.5 IMO... I'll say it squeaks out the 3.5.

Ok, the verdict is in. 3.5....but.....there seems to be a bit of color touch that PGX missed. (big surprise, I know) Check the black border of the purple box (lower cover), and you'll see where someone used a sharpy to fill in a few tiny color breaks. Hardly seems worth the effort, but because it's permanent market and not paint, removal is not practical. :(

Oh well, still a nicely centered copy that presents well. I think I'll keep it!

DD1B_zpse7f75a5e.jpg

DD1B1_zpscb97791d.jpg

And if you really wanted to, you could probably get that sharpie paper scraped off and not fall below a 3.0

I discussed that very thing with JoeY when I sent it in for pressing and submission. It was his opinion that just such a maneuver would result in holes (or pre-holes). The sharpie "soaks in" whereas paint just sits on top.

And if you really wanted to, you could probably get that sharpie paper scraped off and not fall below a 3.0

I discussed that very thing with JoeY when I sent it in for pressing and submission. It was his opinion that just such a maneuver would result in holes (or pre-holes). The sharpie "soaks in" whereas paint just sits on top.

Yeah. I was accounting for that. But a 3.0 isn't going to be winning any beauty contests and I don't think it would be too bad if its just those two small areas. The good thing about having resto removal in-house at CGC is there's no chance you won't get your blue label or that more paper will get taken off than needed. I believe Matt can run it by the resto-check people to make sure everything is good before its sent on to get graded.

That's an idea, wish I had thought of it earlier! Anyway, there's not a huge difference in value between a RCGC 3.5 and a Universal CGC 3.0. For some the Purple label is like a taipan snake, to be avoided at all costs. I've quite warmed up to them actually. It's allowed me to own some books I would not otherwise be able to afford. (that being said, I didn't buy this as a restored book and thus paid quite a bit more for it than I should have....) Live and learn.

Anyway, it's one of the best centered DD #1's I've seen (most are trimmed at an angle) and it looks great in the slab.

So, I suppose this little experiment has further solidified PGX's rep in terms of over-grading on older books and resto check.

That's an idea, wish I had thought of it earlier! Anyway, there's not a huge difference in value between a RCGC 3.5 and a Universal CGC 3.0. For some the Purple label is like a taipan snake, to be avoided at all costs. I've quite warmed up to them actually. It's allowed me to own some books I would not otherwise be able to afford. (that being said, I didn't buy this as a restored book and thus paid quite a bit more for it than I should have....) Live and learn.

Anyway, it's one of the best centered DD #1's I've seen (most are trimmed at an angle) and it looks great in the slab.

So, I suppose this little experiment has further solidified PGX's rep in terms of over-grading on older books and resto check.

Those 2 dots wouldn't bother me on that book. It's a shame to call that restoration.

Better a press than a crease if you ask me (see the before-pics).

Anyway you are right, two dots of ink hardly screams restoration anymore then a small piece of tape does, yet the CGC begs to differ. (yet somehow date stamps and signatures are of no real consequence.)

Those 2 dots wouldn't bother me on that book. It's a shame to call that restoration.

+1

Hey, it's a great book that I wished I owned! :banana: