• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whiz Comics #2 (#1) CGC 9.0

148 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

So we got an underbidder at $500K.  I'm guessing that it would be in the same league as the AS 8 9.4 and CA 1 9.4.  Not a million dollar book, but a closer to $1M than $500K. 

After all, it is the book for advanced collectors:  CM was arguably more popular than Superman.  The only reason he disappeared in the early 1950s, after CA and most of the DC/AA stable had been put to bed, was due to a lawsuit. He didn't lose popularity, he was executed (or was that CM Jr.?).  

He had the movie serials and high profile, and he's in a movie recently (and a 70s tv show, etc.).  I think his profile, historical import, and rarity make Whiz 2 a marque book on a level that AS 8 and CA 1 should not be.  CA and CM are both rip-offs of concepts made popular by others, but CM 1 was MUCH more successful in the GA.

Captain Marvel did outsell Superman, for a time.

You could argue that he’s one of only 4 superheroes to ever claim the spot as being the genre’s No. 1 character.

Superman

Captain Marvel

Batman

Spider-Man

Whiz #2 has, by far, the fewest copies on the CGC census amongst the Top-7 books in the hobby (just my opinion: Action #1, Tec #27, Marvel #1, Superman #1, Batman #1, Cap #1 and Whiz #1).

If we were comparing a Whiz #2 (#1) in 9.4 to the recent Marvel #1 and Cap #1 9.4 copies—I think it would be a discussion.

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

So we got an underbidder at $500K.  I'm guessing that it would be in the same league as the AS 8 9.4 and CA 1 9.4.  Not a million dollar book, but a closer to $1M than $500K. 

After all, it is the book for advanced collectors:  CM was arguably more popular than Superman.  The only reason he disappeared in the early 1950s, after CA and most of the DC/AA stable had been put to bed, was due to a lawsuit. He didn't lose popularity, he was executed (or was that CM Jr.?).  

He had the movie serials and high profile, and he's in a movie recently (and a 70s tv show, etc.).  I think his profile, historical import, and rarity make Whiz 2 a marque book on a level that AS 8 and CA 1 should not be.  CA and CM are both rip-offs of concepts made popular by others, but CM 1 was MUCH more successful in the GA.

Difference is my “guess” is not based on supposition but what I’m willing to pay. I think I’d be one of the “advanced collectors “ that would have serious interest in this book... but “today” the book doesn’t pull close to a milly until multiple someones tells me or it’s known that’s what they are willing to pay.  That’s my thoughts. 

Edited by G.A.tor

4 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Difference is my “guess” is not based on supposition but what I’m willing to pay. I think I’d be one of the “advanced collectors “ that would have serious interest in this book... but “today” the book doesn’t pull close to a milly until multiple someones tells me or it’s known that’s what they are willing to pay.  That’s my thoughts. 

Gator, I've been around the boards long enough to know you are a serious dealer/collector, so don't think I'm questioning your expertise.  I am just noting we we have a serious bidder on the boards (you) who would bid up to $500K and stating my own (different from yours) opinion as to how high your bidding rivals might go. In short, I'm speculating (e.g. guessing) based on my read of the small pool of collectors swimming in the deepest part of the pool.  My opinion is based on what you are willing to pay and the speculation that others will pay more. 

To be clear, I don't think the 9.0 is going to hit $1M because it is not the best extant copy.  There's a MH/Church copy out there that sold for $176K 25 years ago which the OPG once rated at "mint" and others have said may range up to 9.8 (and no one has said is less than 9.0).  BUT, I do feel in a world where the 9.4 AS 8 and 9.4 CA 1 are almost $1M books, the Whiz 2 is (or more accurately, IMHO should be) a $500K to $1M book, and closer to $1M than $500K.  I admit that is rare air as examples of only 6 different issues have ever topped $750K: AC 1, D27, AF 15, MC 1, AS 8, and CA 1.  But I think the best graded copy of Whiz 2, maybe the second best copy extant, could join that group.  

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

Gator, I've been around the boards long enough to know you are a serious dealer/collector, so don't think I'm questioning your expertise.  I am just noting we we have a serious bidder on the boards (you) who would bid up to $500K and stating my own (different from yours) opinion as to how high your bidding rivals might go. In short, I'm speculating (e.g. guessing) based on my read of the small pool of collectors swimming in the deepest part of the pool.  My opinion is based on what you are willing to pay and the speculation that others will pay more. 

To be clear, I don't think the 9.0 is going to hit $1M because it is not the best extant copy.  There's a MH/Church copy out there that sold for $176K 25 years ago which the OPG once rated at "mint" and others have said may range up to 9.8 (and no one has said is less than 9.0).  BUT, I do feel in a world where the 9.4 AS 8 and 9.4 CA 1 are almost $1M books, the Whiz 2 is (or more accurately, IMHO should be) a $500K to $1M book, and closer to $1M than $500K.  I admit that is rare air as examples of only 6 different issues have ever topped $750K: AC 1, D27, AF 15, MC 1, AS 8, and CA 1.  But I think the best graded copy of Whiz 2, maybe the second best copy extant, could join that group.  

Completely understand and don’t mean to belittle anyone’s opinion.  What I’m saying is that I know of no one willing to pay more than me for this book. I’m one of the few mega Shazam fans that have bought (and sold) more than a dozen whiz 1s over the years. Not sure anyone else has. So I feel I’ve exposed myself to many/most known potential buyers of such a book as this 

now, I’m not saying there isn’t someone willing to pay more. I’m sure there is. But 100% more? 50% more? I’d think not. But what do I know lol

33 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Completely understand and don’t mean to belittle anyone’s opinion.  What I’m saying is that I know of no one willing to pay more than me for this book. I’m one of the few mega Shazam fans that have bought (and sold) more than a dozen whiz 1s over the years. Not sure anyone else has. So I feel I’ve exposed myself to many/most known potential buyers of such a book as this 

now, I’m not saying there isn’t someone willing to pay more. I’m sure there is. But 100% more? 50% more? I’d think not. But what do I know lol

I’m with Gator. It’s a $500K book, and when it comes up to auction, he’ll be the next owner.

8 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m with Gator. It’s a $500K book, and when it comes up to auction, he’ll be the next owner.

I just re read some earlier pages. I believe I was one of the under bidderS in 2012. So if winner still owns maybe I could win it hm  

Edited by G.A.tor

I remember back in the late '70s, a copy of Whiz #2 was brought to the Today show on NBC.  But hosting that day was insufficiently_thoughtful_person newsman Garrick Utley, who did nothing but demean comic collecting and not even give the guest a chance to show the book.  It was likely one of the highest grade extant copies out there.  I can't recall who brought it on set for the "interview" (just Utley's idiocy instead) -- it may have been Steve Geppi.  (IIRC there were a couple of huge cover blow-ups on the wall, including Batman #1.)