• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ARE THERE ANY PULP COLLECTORS IN THE HOUSE ?

128 posts in this topic

Sorry about the moire pattern on the scan - I tried to rescan it - but Adobe Photodeluxe keeps telling me I have no scanner installed - probably something to do with the scanner driver being only good for mac os 9.06

and I'm running os X with classic 9.2 - It worked for 3 scans and then decided it was done I guess - I hate computers frustrated.gif

"Rogues in the House" the 7th Conan story published in Weird Tales. interestingly the character himself was evidently not recognized as being a selling point yet - as nowhere on the cover, in the table of contents, or in the introductory paragraph before the actual story is the name "Conan" mentioned.

I have a chance to purchase these five pulps. From what I can tell they are

Spider #1

Doc Savage 3 and 7

2 Shadows from 1932-3

Knowing little about them but sales from ebay, what kind of value would you experts place on these. My guess is about $1000 - $1500 in grade, is that about right?

I appreciate any input from you, these will be put up for sale here first if I do wind up buying them.

spid1.jpg

doc1.jpg

doc2.jpg

shad1.jpg

shad2.jpg

So far this is all I have but the Shadows are from 1933, is there much of a price difference within the issues put ou that year. One of the Shadows on ebay went for about $150 "shadow 1933" search.

"Savage 1933" search yielded two pulps at over $500 each. That seemed high to me so I wondered what other pulp collectors thought.

Spider #1??? not sure at all.

A VG copy of the first Spider pulp sold for $540 including premium at a Heritage auction a couple of years ago - which sounds cheap as I thought I recalled a far lower grade copy selling for $500 or so on ebay a few years back. The Spider is probably the 3rd most popular pulp hero for collectors - can you imagine the 1st appearance of any top tier GA character selling for only $500 in VG?

Page quality was surprisingly good. Some slight tanning at the edges but cream colored on the interior. These things make comic books look like production masterpieces.

Forgot to mention that the new Pulp Guide is out now. You can order it from Bookery Fantasy.

Linkage! thumbsup2.gif

yay.gif

Fuelie, I wouldn't yay.gif until it is in your hands poke2.gif

Answering from the other thread. I haven't had the chance to look at the guide that closely and I don't have the first edition.

One of the statements by Cottrill I did notice was his admitting that the pricing for the Spicys were worthless in the first edition as their prices upped by 50% to 100% within months of the publication of the first edition. So look for quite a bit of updating there.

More once I get around to looking deeper and I hope you can share your comments as well (as I expect the book is sitting in your Box).

Scrooge

To make good use of the guide, here's for ft88's books:

Spider #1 350 in G, 875 in VG and 1,750 in Fine

Doc Savage 3 - Quest of the Spider is 320 in G 800 in VG 1,600 in Fine

Doc Savage 7 - is 100 in G 250 in VG 500 in Fine

and for the Shadows from 1932-3 it would depend on which they are but general guidelines for these years are:

1932 is 140 in G 350 in VG 700 in Fine

1933 is 70 in G 175 in VG 350 in Fine

I like this guide already cloud9.gif

Scrooge

Thank you Scrooge, that helps a lot.

The DS #3 sold for $250 and the front cover was detached so a G at best.

The DS 7 with a spine roll but other wise pretty nice about a VG sold for 200. Two had sold in that last 6 months before that so demand may have been weak bot both sold in the 200-300 range.

The Spider #1 did not sell for $900. It has the 1/2 inch corner piece dog ear came off but it is still with the book. Otherwise its in great shape. The Heritage Spider #1 sold for $550 plus juice and it had general wear with a bad water stain on half the back cover.

The Shadows seem about right in the $100 to $150 range as long as they are complete and not completely rough.

Scrooge, you are A-Okay by me !!! thumbsup2.gif

As for the yay.gif,....that's my "River-Dance",...works for before & after I have my own guide. thumbsup2.gif

Comments I've heard were that the new guide gives values for VG, F & VF,...but much information was compromised to allow space. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I had no problem whatsoever with the first guide, as it was one hell of a resource tool, and prices could be assumed for different grades: Good= 1/2 of VG,

VG/F = 1.5 of VG and Fine= 2X guide. Forget VF,...you'll likely not see a true VF,...at least not on eBay !!! makepoint.gif

Scrooge...in your opinion...is the guide worth the $40 price tag???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

In all honesty, it's not worth that much to me.

I am not actively buying pulps so I don't really need this price guide + as Fuelman mentioned, to make room for more series, it seems that more detailed information which I was looking forward to was left off to add marginal and low-interest run-of-the-mill pulp series (Fuelman can better comment on this as he has both editions and I cannot say how much was truly sacrificed).

If I was to start actively collecting, I would certainly need the guide. Looking over the book a little more, the end result does not know if it wants to be a price guide or a reference guide / index. It is successful as a price guide (as we quickly confirmed with ft88's books on which I found the guide to do decent price-point-wise) but falls a little short on being a thorough index.

Personnally, I am a sucker for reference books and found it indispensible in my bookshelves so I jumped on it; all the more so since I had been looking for a first edition for about 10 months to no avail. That said, it is a handsome volume with heft in your hands. The inside is bare text but more readable than the OSPG. Hope this helps.

Scrooge