• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-code pre-hero thread.

33 posts in this topic

Sure books like Strange Tales 61 illustrate the absurd side of trying to put out "mystery" comics in the immediate post-code era, but Atlas did manage more than a few post-code covers that sustained the eerie feel of their pre-code brethern. World of Fantasy 6 has one of the best post-code covers of any Atlas book, courtesy of the great Bill Everett. this is a Circle 8 copy, the only "pedigree" book I own.

544421-wof.jpg

544421-wof.jpg.490dfc678e4d2417505b7a5e9874e33e.jpg

That's the beauty of the internet. Most post-code Atlas covers are not in Gerber's Guide. I remember buying books from PCE ten years ago, based on the grade (and usually pedigree) and having ZERO idea what the cover looked like. Now if I see a bland cover being sold in Heritage's auctions, I can either not bid, or adjust my bid accordingly.

In theory, not a post code book. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Oh, and I have the 8.5 White Mountain copy of that book (which doesn't really look any better). thumbsup2.gif

"In theory"????grin.gif

It is plainly, blatantly and factually not a post-code book. I am speechless that one so knoweldgeable as Bonds25 would post such an affront to the topic. Speechless and flabbergatsed. blush.gif

In theory, not a post code book.

Oh, and I have the 8.5 White Mountain copy of that book (which doesn't really look any better).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In theory"????

It is plainly, blatantly and factually not a post-code book. I am speechless that one so knoweldgeable as Bonds25 would post such an affront to the topic. Speechless and flabbergatsed.

I said "in theory" because it has the "star", which while not the "CODE" per se, was the precursor to the code.

In theory, not a post code book.

Oh, and I have the 8.5 White Mountain copy of that book (which doesn't really look any better).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In theory"????

It is plainly, blatantly and factually not a post-code book. I am speechless that one so knoweldgeable as Bonds25 would post such an affront to the topic. Speechless and flabbergatsed.

I said "in theory" because it has the "star", which while not the "CODE" per se, was the precursor to the code.

Well, the AACMP Code went into effect in 1947, which is also generally considered the start of the Atom Age and is also generally considered to be when the first pre-code horror comic (Eerie #1 1-shot) was produced. So pretty much all of the pre-code horror books were published during the time of the "star" code. Some adhered to it, some did not. But code or no code, the star had essentially no impact on the content.

Nobody said it had to be a horror book!

Errrrrrrrrrr..............well..........no. smile.gif

But the term pre-hero actually refers to only four titles:

Strange Tales (in which 101 brought us the SA Human Torch - well didn't exactly BRING it to us - he already WAS in FF #1). I like to think of ST 110 (1st Doc Strange) as the real key).

Journy Into Mystery #83 - 1st app of THOR

Tales To Astonish #27 - first app of Henry Pym/soon to be Ant Man

Tales of Suspense #39 - first app of Iron Man.

And my apologies in advance. Am sure you know all this but heck! We got to preserve the pre-hero thang!

::edited cause I actually said STRANGE TALES 39 instead of TOS! I feel so POV! frown.gif

Strange Tales #39 - first app of Iron Man.

I assume you mean Tales of Suspense for Iron Man. foreheadslap.gif

By the way, there are two threads in the Silver Age forum about cover scans, one about TOS, and the other about TTA. There are a bunch of early pre-hero scans there, many from Mister_Comic's collection.

Strange Tales #39 - first app of Iron Man.

I assume you mean Tales of Suspense for Iron Man. foreheadslap.gif

By the way, there are two threads in the Silver Age forum about cover scans, one about TOS, and the other about TTA. There are a bunch of early pre-hero scans there, many from Mister_Comic's collection.

I cannot BELIEVE I did that - well - actually I can - and it is to be expected from me but MAN.

I wuill correct and ad the typical "povertyrow edit note" of which there are hundreds.

I thank you. frown.gif

I should have put a comma inbetween post-code and pre-hero when I started the thread. I meant for it to showcase post-code books, by any publisher, that were by definition published too late to be defined as Golden Age, but due to subject matter, have little in common with what we usually think of as Silver Age (specifically, continuing characters, costumed or otherwise), and despite being sanitized by the CCA, a fair amount in common genre-wise with their pre-code counterparts. I was thinking more along the lines of "mystery" and sci-fi titles, but there is no need to limit it to such.

I posted in the GA section, because I feel many of these books, often ignored by Gerber, are likely to have a greater interest to "Golden Age" collectors than they are to usually hero-centric "Silver Age" collectors.