• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to replace an inner wrap?

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've got a really nice ASM #27..... well really nice except for a clipped coupon in the back. I bought a low-grade #27 with the idea that I can remove the staples and replace the whole wrap the coupon is on.

Can anyone give me any pointers here? I really haven't compared them side by side yet, so I don't even know if this is feasible. (alignment, page condition, etc...) but wanted to see if this task is beyond me or not.

I'm mainly concerned about how to remove the staples safely, and then reinserting them.

I'd start by practicing on some much cheaper books. Buy a few very low grade SA books and experiment until you have the art of removing and replacing the staples down pat. Its not rocket science, but its also something I would do on a valuable book without practice.

Ok done.

I bit the bullet and started with the beater #27. I got the staples out without a problem and removed the good wrap rather quickly.

I noticed right away after fitting the replacement wrap that it was too long on both ends that make up the right side of the comic. So, I made some quick alignment marks, and trimmed the wrap ends with a straight edge. It worked beautifully. (some of you may not like this, but this book is for my personal collection, and I'm ok with it.

The keeper-copy's staples happened to be on the back of the book (and not centered on the spine), so the new wrap required new staple holes. (which I made naturally by lining up the wrap and piercing with the staples as I reinserted them)

I put the staples back in with the same orientation and bent them and the original angles.

The result is nearly-indiscernible save for the old staple holes being visible on the replacement wrap.

Very happy with the results!