• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I, ROBOT trounces SPIDER-MAN 2

108 posts in this topic

For that matter, I suspect that the movie-going public will also be far less enthralled by the upcoming FF movie than you FF die-hards think.

It just wouldn't be a post in the Comics thread without Gene peeing in someone's cheerios. 27_laughing.gif

Nor if there wasn't some typically unwarranted cheap shot at me from the Peanut Gallery... juggle.gif

Spidey is a very human super-hero...girl problems, job problems, family problems, great power, great responsibility, etc

This is the single most important reason for the franchise success. Yes the fight scenes were cool etc but to me his internal struggle to make things right is where the story was IMO. Once he matures and these struggles aren't pronounced THAT will mark the end of the franchise, IMO. As long as they continue with some very important INTERNAL struggles, and cast realistic BELIEVABLE villians, we will be fine. Heck, I was even sympathetic to Doc Ock's plight. The pure "evil" of GG disconnects the audience because we can't connect with any of his issues. At least Harry's plight is more believable, as Peter and he have extensive relationship.

Effects awesome: But the story won me over. Did anyone else notice MJ's look in the final moments of the film after Peter leaves? Didn't look right to me...

This is the single most important reason for the franchise success.

Its the most important reason why Spider-Man has been the most popular super hero for the last 35 years. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

For that matter, I suspect that the movie-going public will also be far less enthralled by the upcoming FF movie than you FF die-hards think.

It just wouldn't be a post in the Comics thread without Gene peeing in someone's cheerios. 27_laughing.gif

Nor if there wasn't some typically unwarranted cheap shot at me from the Peanut Gallery... juggle.gif

Just a tad sensitive are we?

i dont know if this has been posted before, but here are the facts:

For the three-day period from Friday to Sunday, "Spider-Man 2" earned $88.3 million. By contrast, "Spider-Man" opened with a record-breaking $114.8 million in its first three-day weekend. For the new film, sales from the Monday holiday drove its four-day haul to an estimated $115.8 million.

laugh.gif

i dont know if this has been posted before, but here are the facts:

For the three-day period from Friday to Sunday, "Spider-Man 2" earned $88.3 million. By contrast, "Spider-Man" opened with a record-breaking $114.8 million in its first three-day weekend. For the new film, sales from the Monday holiday drove its four-day haul to an estimated $115.8 million.

laugh.gif

I think its been stated before that you can't really compare the two movies, since Spidey 2 opened on a Wednesday (and did HUGE numbers). Regardless, its an impressive franchise and I look forward to the next installment (with the vaunted Prowler as the main villain). grin.gif

From today's New York Times:

"...Spider-Man's huge box office success ($821 million worldwide for the first movie and $285 million to date for "Spider-Man 2")"

Spidey 2 is already over 300 million domestically after this weekend, so the 285 figure is not only dated, it also doesn't include any overseas figures. Is there any accurate info on worldwide gross sales after three weeks?

i thought the nxt movie will have lizard as the main vllian? as Dr. Corners made an appearence in this movie laugh.gif

i also heard that they have already started the pre-production for spidy 4,5,6, cant wait till the 3rd one though!

that article WAS accurate...as of the date it was written (over the weekend at the latest) I think you mean 'latest' 'most up to date' figures which are now over 300 as of Sunday night's theatre estimates. SO both figures are correct.

Three is usually the cut-off for a great movie series. Any that have attempted to go beyond this number have failed miserably.

Except for Bond. James Bond. Shaken, not stirred.

But they stretch out the release on the Bond movies.

Keeps the fans wanting more, and they deliver with another great movie.

I think the Bond series has the formula figured out. Don't over saturate. Make them wait. Don't produce slop.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Excuse me, when do they deliver great Bond films? It feels like every 15 years or so. devil.gif

i thought the nxt movie will have lizard as the main vllian? as Dr. Corners made an appearence in this movie laugh.gif

So was John Jameson (Man-Wolf), Harry Osborn (Green Goblin), and J.J. Jameson (Spidey-Slayers).

You're also missing the point--people like Venom's powers. His aren't any more dumb than Doc Ock's. I mostly agree with you that Venom's origins in the main title are rather stupid, but so is that of a lot of the Spidey villains.

It's not about powers, it's about the humanity in the Spidey mythos, which is even more pointed in the movie franchise. Introduce Venom into the mix and you will lose a good portion of the non-fanboy audience and most of the critics' support. Furthermore, "people" don't like Venom's powers - drooling fanboys and Marvel Zombies do. I'm quite sure that the average non-comics reading Spidey movie viewer will find Venom to be far more tedious and a lot less interesting than you do. For that matter, I suspect that the movie-going public will also be far less enthralled by the upcoming FF movie than you FF die-hards think.

I slightly disagree only because FF to me was never about "cool" superpowers, but having powers in the context of being a family and creating and strengthening familial relationships. I hope they get that in the film anyway.

Three is usually the cut-off for a great movie series. Any that have attempted to go beyond this number have failed miserably.

Surely you are forgetting about Police Academy? tongue.gif

There are always exceptions to the rule. Like we could forget Police Academy. smirk.gif