• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlton Adult Humor

13 posts in this topic

I'm very impressed you've been able to find all those. I know there were a handful of Cartoon Spice 3s that came out years ago, but I don't recall ever seeing any of the others. Congrats!

Care to show any interior shots?

I don't collect girlie cartoon digest but I do deal them in. Below is a link to some. I don't think they are Charltons as they were not published in Derby, CT where Charlton had its printing presses, but they are the same type of quality with the same cartoonists like Bill Wenzel:

http://pristine.webspaceforme.net/adult/60smags/cartoondigestmaglist.html

Of course, the best girlie cartoon digests were the Humorama digests published by Martin Goodman of Marvel comics fame. They had the best cartoonists and photos of well known pinup models:

http://pristine.webspaceforme.net/adult/humorama/humorlist.html

I think it's cool seeing those. It's unbelievable how many publishers had their hand in the genre.

Your page lists digest sized publications. The Charlton titles I have collected & posted are comic sized or magazine sized. The majority of the content is gag cartoons rather than text.

The later ones were thin magazines.

v17_086_Cartoon_Carnival_535px.png

v18_090_Cartoon_Carnival_535px.png

V15_090_Good_Humor_535px.jpg

V18_117_Good_Humor_535px.jpg

From what I can tell, they were still publishing these up until 1986, a couple of years past the regular comic line ending.

v24_124_Comedy_Capers_535px.jpg

I still prefer the older ones like this... very HTF.

004_Eye_Opener_535px.jpg

There was an earlier magazine titled "Good Humor" that came out in 1948. That's a good 11 years before the comic sized series. It's mostly text and photos, but it does have some cartoons scattered inside.

Good Humor #1 (1948)

001_Good_Humor_Magazine_650px.jpg

Good Humor #17

017_Good_Humor_Magazine_indicia.png

017_Good_Humor_Magazine_650px.jpg

Good Humor #19

019_Good_Humor_Magazine_650px.jpg

Good Humor #21

021_Good_Humor_Magazine_650px.jpg

I've discovered a new Charlton rarity. Unfortunately it has no indicia so I can't confirm either the year it was made or the issue number. The lack of indicia leads me to believe it was produced circa 1959. I'm calling this #115 since that is the number on the cover.

Those French Cartoons #115

115_Those_French_Cartoons.png

DG

Magazine sized risque cartoon books seem like they were pretty big in the sixties and seventies.I'm pretty sure Goodman published a few as well.

I don't know who published it , but the book of this type that I recall seeing on the stands as a kid was titled 'From Sex to Sexty".