• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHIVERBONES.COM has been launched

53 posts in this topic

Really enjoying the site, Shiver! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I appreciate seeing the cover scan and interior creators' credits on the same page-- that's one of the problems with the Grand Comic Database site.

Also like the focus on the oft-overlooked Weird War Tales. I was interested in your mention of the 1st Spear of Destiny in WW #50,

Englehart/Ayers/Alcala Book length classic with Hitler's search for the spear of destiny. ties in to Spectre v3#22

As you may or may not know, it ties in to a whole lot of DC continuity, as Hitler's acquisition of the Spear (in the DCU) was the ret-con justification for why Superman and the JSA didn't just take out the Axis powers right after Pearl Harbor. I wonder if Paul Levitz had time to read Englehart's story (Feb '77) before writing DC Special #29 (Sept '77)? (It may even have been acknowledged at the time, I'll have to go back and check!)

2216_4_29.jpg

Since I'm a huge fan of Steve Englehart's 1970s DC work, now I'm off to search out both of his full-length stories in Weird War #50 and #60, thanks to your information! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks For the tips Fuelman, i appreciate that. i will work on the titles this week. I did not know that search engines looked at those specifically.

Zonker - great information! I knew the spear tied into more, but since i could not remember what issues specifically, i just referenced the spectre issue until i could track down any other actual storylines. I will update the site as soon as i can. Thats wonderful stuff!

Actually search engines really look for HTML content mainly in the Meta tag. You should check that too. To get some ideas, just go to any website, right click the page and choose "view source", you can then read the key search words for that page near the top. I'm no expert, just bumbled enough to pick up some of this along the way. Good Luck!

I wonder if Paul Levitz had time to read Englehart's story (Feb '77) before writing DC Special #29 (Sept '77)? (It may even have been acknowledged at the time, I'll have to go back and check!)

BTW I went back and checked, and yes indeed there is a footnote in DC Special #29 acknowledging the earlier Weird War Tales #50 for more info on the Spear of Destiny. thumbsup2.gif

Shiver,

One more question/observation:

I've always believed the guy on this cover is Abel, if so, making this his first cover appearance. What do you think?

hos103.jpg

(Also, I now understand from Arch's recent post that what I'm doing by linking back to your hosted image is 'bandwidth-stealing' from your site. Is that a problem? If so, I'll stop!).