• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phantom variant program

861 posts in this topic

Larry that is another great cover, so far you are 2 for 2 regards the covers, I have loved them both.

I just find it all a bit tough. Being from the UK I am going to find getting all of these in high grade, on the secondary market, very tough. It will be especially tough on me because I was planning on creating 9.8 registry sets for 2 books you have (Revival and Bedlam). For that reason unless someone in the states is able to seriously help me out every month I get the feeling I will have to simply ignore these, which is a shame because the covers so far have been top notch.

I will be talking with Larry later today and maybe something can be worked out to help the UK collector in need of high grade copies. Again, I have not discussed with Larry but will discuss and see if it is possible to help UK Boardies.

I will be talking with Larry later today and maybe something can be worked out to help the UK collector in need of high grade copies. Again, I have not discussed with Larry but will discuss and see if it is possible to help UK Boardies.

JJ you are a star :)

Larry that is another great cover, so far you are 2 for 2 regards the covers, I have loved them both.

I just find it all a bit tough. Being from the UK I am going to find getting all of these in high grade, on the secondary market, very tough. It will be especially tough on me because I was planning on creating 9.8 registry sets for 2 books you have (Revival and Bedlam). For that reason unless someone in the states is able to seriously help me out every month I get the feeling I will have to simply ignore these, which is a shame because the covers so far have been top notch.

Thanks. there is a fine line between too few & too many.

this is a learning process.

I have given everybody 22 options of where to shop.

Big shops. Small shops.

It creates a much more fair marketplace for the fan.

Will it cater to everyone's needs?

Nope. But it is a step in the right direction. IMHO

www.phantomvariant.com

The group is interested in bringing JJ on board as a consultant.

Great cover! Liking these variants so far and I think the program is cool.

Only thing I don't really like is having the Phantom Icon on the cover.

Comics already have too many things on their covers. One of the best parts of getting singles is that you get the covers and half the time with the big two they are covered with all sorts of logos and .

Perfect example of how all comic covers should be laid out, look at SAGA. Nice and clean design showcasing the art.

Maybe throw the Phantom logo on the back. Just my 2c and my own opinion. Other people might not care lol

>>Only thing I don't really like is having the Phantom Icon on the cover.<<

It is REQUIRED on Marvel comics by contract , so my hands were tied.

I have much more freedom with Image, IDW & Boom.

( oooops, what have I said...)

P0Azh.gif

Oh..my..glob..

What do you guys think?

Since you asked...

Pros: I love CPWIII! He is my favorite comic book artist. Not only is he extremely talented, but he's a nice humble guy too. He is the reason I've recently started collecting OA. My 1st purchase was a Stuff of Legend page (see sig line).. He is an independent comic creator and it's great to see him working on other stuff to increase his exposure. He deserves more exposure and fans. I think it's great you said in the other thread he going to do 17 covers. You couldn't have picked a better or more deserving artist. Great choice! (thumbs u

Cons: I'm confused by the MARVEL book choice. I thought this was about more than just selling variant covers...

From your announcement:

It has a benefit to the creators involved. It's NOT just about the variant. It's about a historic effort to support properties at a monetary level that matters, with exclusive in store displays & promotions for the creators by retailers. We are NOT interested in a "cash grab", only supporting one issue. If we are in. We are "IN"

So this is a contest between retailers who got the ghost and those who didn't. Is that it? Fair Question. Difference. They scored a TOP property by abusing their position of power & supported it for one issue.

We are testing unknown properties for a period of time

This gave me the impression you were going to be promoting and helping independent creators. Not working with the big guys. Deadpool from Marvel seems like a top property, that already will have promotions and monetary support. (shrug)

Seeing a MARVEL books makes this round seem like just another variant cover meant to get OCD collectors to buy. Is it about selling variants with limited print runs to make retailers a cash grab, or is this suppose to be better than that?

Larry, you have a positive reputation for helping independent creators, so I hope future Phantom releases are non MARVEL/DC and go back to supporting independent creators. 2c

Yes, I did buy the Phantom Bedlam. That cover is cool as hell!

What do you guys think?

Since you asked...

Pros: I love CPWIII! He is my favorite comic book artist. Not only is he extremely talented, but he's a nice humble guy too. He is the reason I've recently started collecting OA. My 1st purchase was a Stuff of Legend page (see sig line).. He is an independent comic creator and it's great to see him working on other stuff to increase his exposure. He deserves more exposure and fans. I think it's great you said in the other thread he going to do 17 covers. You couldn't have picked a better or more deserving artist. Great choice! (thumbs u

Cons: I'm confused by the MARVEL book choice. I thought this was about more than just selling variant covers...

From your announcement:

It has a benefit to the creators involved. It's NOT just about the variant. It's about a historic effort to support properties at a monetary level that matters, with exclusive in store displays & promotions for the creators by retailers. We are NOT interested in a "cash grab", only supporting one issue. If we are in. We are "IN"

So this is a contest between retailers who got the ghost and those who didn't. Is that it? Fair Question. Difference. They scored a TOP property by abusing their position of power & supported it for one issue.

This gave me the impression you were going to be promoting and helping independent creators. Not working with the big guys. Deadpool from Marvel seems like a top property, that already will have promotions and monetary support. (shrug)

Seeing a MARVEL books makes this round seem like just another variant cover meant to get OCD collectors to buy. Is it about selling variants with limited print runs to make retailers a cash grab, or is this suppose to be better than that?

Larry, you have a positive reputation for helping independent creators, so I hope future Phantom releases are non MARVEL/DC and go back to supporting independent creators. 2c

Yes, I did buy a Bedlam. That cover is cool as hell!

Reasonable question.

Please do NOT forget the creator in "creator owned"

Those guys need work & exposure.

The Phantom program will also support indy / creator owned by taking some of our favorite lesser known artists & putting them on mainstream properties. I am going to help turn Charles into a Rock Star this year.

Ask Charles if he minds the 17 cover gigs we are providing.

There are a TON of ways to be Indy friendly & Phantom group will try them ALL.

This Deadpool cover will be great for Charles' career.

It will be great for Th3rd World, & it will be great for up n coming artists.

Watch.

deadpool.JPG

What do you guys think?

Since you asked...

From your announcement:

Reasonable question.

The Phantom program will also support indy / creator owned by taking some of our favorite lesser known artists & putting them on mainstream properties. I am going to help turn Charles into a Rock Star this year.

It just surprised me to see a Marvel book.

But your right, it's a fair point that by using Marvel you are helping CPWIII more. The Deadpool cover will give him more exposure then say his Red Ten covers or other independent comics. Which is also good for The Stuff of Legend book too. (thumbs u

So if you use a Marvel/Dc book you'll be using your own artist you are trying to gain exposure for? I think that's great. (thumbs u

What do you guys think?

Since you asked...

From your announcement:

Reasonable question.

It just surprised me to see a Marvel book.

But your right, it's a fair point that by using Marvel you are helping CPWIII more. The Deadpool cover will give him more exposure then say his Red Ten covers or other independent comics. Which is also good for The Stuff of Legend book too. (thumbs u

So if you use a Marvel/Dc book you'll be using your own artist you are trying to gain exposure for? I think that's great. (thumbs u

Thanks.

You'll LOVE me next week when NOBODY has heard of the title or creator.

( then HATE me again the week after that)

;)

Larry,

It doesn't seem that there are many options to purchase online for people such as myself that have really no comic shops around. Mile High is listed but I noticed they don't have any Bedlam titles up period. I was lucky enough to get them while they were $7.99 at GCC but other than that I haven't seen where other retailers sell to those of us that can only purchase via online.