• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics on CD - is it legal

52 posts in this topic

Sorry to resurrect this thread but does anyone know if the statements below are true - on Ebay (UK).

I have bought a few reading copies of Strange Adventures and I would love to read more so getting the whole series for $10 would be great.

Alan

GOLDEN AGE DIGITAL COMICS, STRANGE ADVENTURES, 251 ISSUES

DIGITAL COMICS ON TWO DVD’S

Items contained on these CDs/DVDs are distributed globally under the terms of the GNU Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).

This item does not infringe any copyright, trade mark, or other rights or any of eBay's listing policies or spam policies.

Yeah, it hogwash. You have to develop software to use GNU Public License, giving your rights away.

I would avoid that mook for no other reason than he's going to spotlight himself using that nonsense. Pinging the hell out of the radar with a stupid excuse is different than trying to fly under it.

Yep, files like these shouldn't be sold. Anywhere. Even here.

Of course, they shouldn't be downloaded in the first place, but you get my point.

Hey, I was sued by the RCAA for filesharing back in the day. Yes, it is true. Cost me $3750 + lawyer's fees. But they had implied if I was only downloading it would not have been an issue, uploading is what drove them mad. So now I stay away from any version of it, bit torrent included.

Buying a counterfeit item is a different beast entirely I think. These CDs would fall into that category, I think. (I think a lot!) Criminal would be a strong word for it, but I think the best they could do is confiscate the items.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but does anyone know if the statements below are true - on Ebay (UK).

I have bought a few reading copies of Strange Adventures and I would love to read more so getting the whole series for $10 would be great.

Alan

Items contained on these CDs/DVDs are distributed globally under the terms of the GNU Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).

This item does not infringe any copyright, trade mark, or other rights or any of eBay's listing policies or spam policies.

DC Comics doesn`t care. In fact how many people have ever heard of STRANGE ADVENTURES? I wouldn`t worry about it. If anybody would be prosecuted it would be the seller of these,and not the buyer. They are not going to put someone in jail for a year for buying an obscure $10 dvd of 60 year old reprints.

Why?

See you know DC Comics published these in the 1950s,while 99 percent of the Ebay population either doesn`t know these exist or that DC had published these almost 60 years ago. In fact if I am DC I think of it as free advertising.

Now if this was Batman or Spider-Man DVDs my stance would be completely different.

IMHO

Alan

DC Comics doesn`t care. In fact how many people are have ever heard of STRANGE ADVENTURES? I wouldn`t worry about it. If anybody would be prosecuted it would be the seller of these,and not the buyer. They are not going to put someone in jail for a year for buying an obscure $10 dvd of 60 year old reprints.

Why?

See you know DC Comics published these in the 1950s,while 99 percent of the Ebay population either doesn`t know these exist or that DC had published these almost 60 years ago. In fact if I am DC I think of it as free advertising.

Now if this was Batman or Spider-Man DVDs my stance would be completely different.

IMHO

Please, please, stop giving out shoddy legal advice :facepalm:

Alan

DC Comics doesn`t care. In fact how many people are have ever heard of STRANGE ADVENTURES? I wouldn`t worry about it. If anybody would be prosecuted it would be the seller of these,and not the buyer. They are not going to put someone in jail for a year for buying an obscure $10 dvd of 60 year old reprints.

Why?

IMHO

Please, please, stop giving out shoddy legal advice :facepalm:

Not legal advice,but common sense.

A judge would laugh if a DA took someone to court for $9.99 dvd.

Laugh at the DA for wasting the courts time.

:kidaround:

I do not think buying them is an issue. Not as much of a legal issue as a moral one. Yes, they are probably made and sold in a venture that denies rightsholders their fair share. If that bothers you do not buy them. If that does not bother you, ignore the morality behind it. Owning them is far different than making and then selling them.

I do not think buying them is an issue. Not as much of a legal issue as a moral one. Yes, they are probably made and sold in a venture that denies rightsholders their fair share. If that bothers you do not buy them. If that does not bother you, ignore the morality behind it. Owning them is far different than making and then selling them.

Buying them rewards the dillweeds who spam that garbage all over eBay.

Which would be DC Comics and Marvel Comics who showed even less morality to Jack Kirby and others with their creations. So if it really bothers someone that Warner and Disney lose a few bucks,then don`t buy the dvds.

Common sense. DC and Marvel are the one`s losing money over this,and not the mom and pop creators

2c.

Which would be DC Comics and Marvel Comics who showed even less morality to Jack Kirby and others with their creations. So if it really bothers someone that Warner and Disney lose a few bucks,then don`t buy the dvds. Common sense. DC and Marvel are the one`s losing money over this,and not the mom and pop creators

2c.

Questions of morality/ethics only matter if the victim is somebody you like?

Which would be DC Comics and Marvel Comics who showed even less morality to Jack Kirby and others with their creations. So if it really bothers someone that Warner and Disney lose a few bucks,then don`t buy the dvds. Common sense. DC and Marvel are the one`s losing money over this,and not the mom and pop creators

2c.

Questions of morality/ethics only matter if the victim is somebody you like, not somebody you don't like?

Hmmm, probably shouldn't be that way, but it is. When an entity takes the rights to distribute an infinite resource, and only releases them in a way that the common man cannot afford them, then the common man will probably find a way to share in those resources on the black market. I'm finding it harder and harder to defend capitalism as he years roll by, and am not concerned when the looters of culture have their rights to rob the graves of the dead impugned by the hoi polloi.\

Small c communist.

Buying them rewards the dillweeds who spam that garbage all over eBay.

It's not only on eBay CBR files are being sold.

Whoa....I just bought some "digital comics" as it was advertised in a sales thread. All CBR files. Not codes like I thought they were. It was a pain too because I had to download/extract the files and convert some to .cbr.

This is illegal?

Probably not.

I think the only way to legally buy digital comics are those old Marvel boxed sets. Otherwise you're subscribing to controlled access under a EULA, with no ownership rights.

CBR and CBZ are homegrown free range scans archived as either .zip (.cbz) or .rar (.cbr) files.

51h7VVoQfsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Whoa....I just bought some "digital comics" as it was advertised in a sales thread. All CBR files. Not codes like I thought they were. It was a pain too because I had to download/extract the files and convert some to .cbr.

This is illegal?

Probably not.

I think the only way to legally buy digital comics are those old Marvel boxed sets. Otherwise you're subscribing to controlled access under a EULA, with no ownership rights.

CBR and CBZ are homegrown free range scans archived as either .zip (.cbz) or .rar (.cbr) files.

51h7VVoQfsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am not too tech savy,so I ask is there anyway those old Marvel boxed sets could be downloaded to a Ipad or Kindle Fire?

:wishluck:

I am not too tech savy,so I ask is there anyway those old Marvel boxed sets could be downloaded to a Ipad or Kindle Fire?

:wishluck:

Good question. They're Mac/Windows DVD, the books are PDF format.

The trick would be copying individual .pdf files from the DVD to a hard drive, then you could drop them onto devices. Ipad and most eReaders can handle .pdf, but the DVD may be protected or locked down somehow.

One of those "where there's a will, there's a way" situations, my guess.