• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Spider-man story arc

91 posts in this topic

The introduction of the Hobgoblin by Roger Stern is one of my favorite arcs. It starts in ASM #238, and while it took forever to finally get resolved (and even then, not really, as the revelation of the Hobgoblin's ID was retconned away by Stern years later), it was a tremendous read in the beginning. The first arc really runs through ASM #238-251.

Another favorite arc is ASM from the late 180's through issue 200. It features the "death" of Aunt May, classic villains aplenty (Electro, the Chameleon, The Kingpin, and Mysterio), the mental breakdown of JJJ, the introduction of the Black Cat, and the return of the burglar from Amazing Fantasy #15. Really, really good stuff by Marv Wolfman, and it's all reprinted in one of the Essential Spider-Man volumes.

The first clone saga is also a pretty good read. It starts with the introduction of the Jackal in ASM #129 (along with some guy called The Punisher -- don't think much ever happened with that character :whistle:) and ran in and out of issues before ending in ASM #149 (with a postscript of sorts in #150). Also in those issues is the first appearance of Harry Osborn as the Green Goblin.

You can't go wrong with any of these arc, IMO. (thumbs u

I just bought a bunch of the Essential Spider-Man volumes on eBay last week. I now have volumes 2, 3, 4, 5, 7 and 8. I really want volume 6 because I've always wanted to read the death of Gwen Stacy arc. I'm going to try to get volumes 1 and 6 by the time I've finished the novels I have lined up so I can just read through a huge chunk of ASM history in order. I'm looking forward to seeing the characters' progression over time and the change of writers.

As for my favorite ASM arc... I'm partial to the Ben Reilly 90's era because that's when I discovered Spider-Man. But even I'll admit the writing totally derailed with all the management changes.

But, that said, since you allowed any titles, I recommend Ultimate Spider-Man. I have the three "Ultimate Collection" volumes and the contain issues 1-33. Great stuff. Also, I liked the first half of J. Michael Straczynski's ASM vol. 2 run. The later half just seemed like JMS was struggling against the management at Marvel because they didn't agree on the direction the character should take. Which culminated in One More Day and JMS leaving the title.

All good runs listed, though I would even take that Stern run up through DeFalco taking over (with Ron Frenz art!) and MJ revealing she knows Pete is Spider-man. That was the last time I was really enjoying the book.

ASM 69-75 (the Golden Tablet Saga?) is a good read as well.

My favorites would include Kravens Last Hunt, the two parter where he fights The Juggernaut, and the whole Hobgoblin storyline. I thought Gang Wars started out blockbusters but it ended up with too many twists and crossovers as I recall.

Death of Gwen and the Goblin are pretty high on my list, as well.

Not exactly a spinoff of Spidey, I really enjoyed the Trouble mini-series, although I may be the only one who did.

I think the first couple dozen issues of Ultimate Spider-Man were awesome.

Other than your strange fixation with Ben Reilly, I agree with your picks.

As far as issues 121/122 go - reading a good chunk of the history that led up to that story is what makes the story worthwhile. Spiderman: Blue was alright.

For 'fun' reads, I also liked the six issue Spider-man Human Torch mini series written by current writer Dan Slott. Ultimate Spider-man had some ups and downs but over the whole 160 issues it was consistently fun to read.

Other than your strange fixation with Ben Reilly, I agree with your picks.

As far as issues 121/122 go - reading a good chunk of the history that led up to that story is what makes the story worthwhile. Spiderman: Blue was alright.

For 'fun' reads, I also liked the six issue Spider-man Human Torch mini series written by current writer Dan Slott. Ultimate Spider-man had some ups and downs but over the whole 160 issues it was consistently fun to read.

What is the Spidey/Torch mini you mentioned?? I enjoy Slott a lot and would like to look into this series sometime.

My favorites would include Kravens Last Hunt, the two parter where he fights The Juggernaut, and the whole Hobgoblin storyline. I thought Gang Wars started out blockbusters but it ended up with too many twists and crossovers as I recall.

Death of Gwen and the Goblin are pretty high on my list, as well.

Not exactly a spinoff of Spidey, I really enjoyed the Trouble mini-series, although I may be the only one who did.

I think the first couple dozen issues of Ultimate Spider-Man were awesome.

The Hobgoblin storyline was a lot of fun. That would make a gangbusters Omnibus.