• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 509 worth the hype?

12 posts in this topic

Well, it looks like wizard is hyping Amazing Spider-Man 509. I haven't read it yet but I was wondering is it worth the hype? It's supposedly sold out at diamond and marvel. It also supposed to feature 2 new characters. How is it in your area? Does it look like it's sold out at your local comic shop? Here's a link for more info.

wizardinsider

This is my first post in a long time; the Spidey movie has me interested in comics again.

Anyhow, in answer to your question, #509 is hard to find at comic shops in Philly. I did snag one off of eBay, but it hasn't arrived yet(I hope it does!). #510 is due out this weekend, so I'm going right to my local comics shop after work Friday to get it. A pretty big surprise is going to happen before this series ends; I'm not sure whether I'm going to be pleased by what transpires, but I have to check it out.

Only time will tell if this issue will be worthwhile as with most of the Modern books. This issue may feature 2 new characters, depending on the story, which may make it a key issue. Especially if they have an effect upon the Spidey universe.

In terms of 509 being a good reading issue, not really.

I agree with deathlok, the comic itself isn't really that special.

But it is being hyped, and has sold out locally.

Possible spoiler:

It has been discussed in another thread that the new guys are spider-babies 893whatthe.gif

I just received my copy and read it. Not a bad book, but probably not worth the hype.

Also, I can't get used to the way Aunt May is drawn these days. She doesn't even look like the same character that Ditko and Romita drew.

If those 2 new characters are Peter's kids then Marvel is doing a 180 degree turn on what Jim Shooter wanted when he was editor-in-chief. In his interview at comicbookresources.com, he had an argument with another employee. The guy wanted Peter Parker to have fathered a kid outside of wedlock and Jim didn't like that idea because it might hurt the endorsments. There is also a feature about Spider-Man on that site and it states that these 2 characters will play a major role in Peter's life. So these 2 characters will probably stick around for awhile.

If those 2 new characters are Peter's kids then Marvel is doing a 180 degree turn on what Jim Shooter wanted when he was editor-in-chief. In his interview at comicbookresources.com, he had an argument with another employee. The guy wanted Peter Parker to have fathered a kid outside of wedlock and Jim didn't like that idea because it might hurt the endorsments. There is also a feature about Spider-Man on that site and it states that these 2 characters will play a major role in Peter's life. So these 2 characters will probably stick around for awhile.

Where do you see Marvel giving a rat's [!@#%^&^] about Shooter's opinion from the 1980s, not that I would disagree with Shooter. He has been fired by pretty much every comic company he worked for, but I feel he still has more talent and savvy than 95% of the folks currently working in comics.

If they are his kids then Spider-Man is turning into the modern day Silver-Age Superman prototype with so many extended "family" members with similar "powers". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's...

Maybe these "kids"....

Ben Reilly and who knows how many clones still unaccounted for...

That spiderguy from the beginning of JMS' run (Ekiciel?)...

Venom

The future Spider-girl

Another modern Spider-girl

Spider-Man 2099 - making an appearance soon.

And I'm sure I'm missing some..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Hell all we need is Spider-dog (Arachno as a name maybe?) insane.gif

Jim

The guy wanted Peter Parker to have fathered a kid outside of wedlock and Jim didn't like that idea because it might hurt the endorsments.

Shooter was trying to protect the value of the license, rather than just taking a slash-n-burn approach to the Spider-man character.

Someone at Sony should mail Shooter a nice fat check for taking that stand.