• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny book of the year

335 posts in this topic

Seeing Richard Evans post his newly acquired and genuinely awesome CGC 9.8 Shock Suspense #6 gave me an idea for what I hope would be a fun thread to take us up to Christmas.

Here's the idea:

Reflecting on the current year, which three books you've acquired would you consider to be your books of the year?

This doesn't necessarily have to be about grade - it could be a $20 book in fair that you've searched for for 10 years.

If we say this will cover the period from 1st January to Christmas Eve, we can then by consensus agree a short list of candidates for "Funny book of the year".

Perhaps we cold agree that each boardie can propose up to three books by other boardies as candidates.

We can then vote for the top book from a shortlist between Xmas and New Year, at which point a no-prize will be awarded to universal acclaim to the proud owner of the book of the year.

I have a few modest acquisitions I might post myself - not a candle's chance of winning though!

And if anyone has ideas on improving the format that would be great!

sounds like fun to me. I would put a cap on the number of books a person can post though or you'll get one person posting 47 different things none of which will win. I know its cool to see the books anyways, but it may bog down the selection process. I would say post no more than 3 books. It will force some self-selection onto the posters and make the whole thing more manageable IMO

sounds like fun to me. I would put a cap on the number of books a person can post though or you'll get one person posting 47 different things none of which will win. I know its cool to see the books anyways, but it may bog down the selection process. I would say post no more than 3 books. It will force some self-selection onto the posters and make the whole thing more manageable IMO

Sounds like good advice. So let's modify the guidelines and say post 1 to 3 books that you are are really happy with.

Fun thread idea. :)

A recent pick-up that I'm very pleased with. Beautiful copy, presents great (love the deep green), and features my favorite of the Bat-less pre-Robin covers.

Tec34_zpsae3e639e.jpg

Some of you know that I've been chasing a Wonder Woman run for some time. I'm about 40% of the way there, and I was very thrilled to finally nab a respectable #1 earlier this year. (Some of you also know that I ran an epic trade/hardback sale in the modern forum for months. I used almost every cent of the proceeds to pay for this book in full.)

wonderwoman1-Copy.jpg

And I think it's reasonably clear that this is my big enchilada for 2012.

DSCN1021.jpg

if i get 3, i'll go with these additional 2; one doesn't belong here, but as it's my favorite pick-up of the year i'm putting it in anyway, so there.

master35-1.jpg

thanks, geek.

That is such a beautiful book, Billy. The blues are gorgeous. Some of the Captain Midnights from that period have that same intense blue background and if you can get them in good condition, they really stand out.

Awesome!

OK, here's mine. All purchased back in the spring.

Amazing Man 5

Amazing%2520Man%25205.jpg

National Comics 1

National%2520Comics%2520%25231%2520CGC%2520F%252B%25206.5.jpg

Military Comics 1

Military%2520Comics%2520%25231%2520CGC%2520VF%252B%25208.5.jpg

Great books Jeff - I'm especially impressed by the colors on that Amazing Man! I know your scans are very accurate so that one must be blinding in the hand!

if i get 3, i'll go with these additional 2; one doesn't belong here, but as it's my favorite pick-up of the year i'm putting it in anyway, so there.

master35-1.jpg

thanks, geek.

That is such a beautiful book, Billy. The blues are gorgeous. Some of the Captain Midnights from that period have that same intense blue background and if you can get them in good condition, they really stand out.

Awesome!

thanks brother. i do love it.