• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Be Gentle. Its My First Time. posted by bagofleas

6 posts in this topic

Popping my submitting cherry!

I have been an associate member of CGC for over three years now but never have taken advantage of being able to submit my own comics for grading...

...until now that is.

I have sent ten comics off to be graded. I am holding back on a number of comics for signing and grading when I go to Megacon in March. This includes my New Mutants 47 that Ronnylama sent me. So I will have to be patient on those.

The issues I sent off today are...

VIGILANTE 19

VIGILANTE 28

PUNISHER V2 number 1

SPAWN 1

DAREDEVIL 273

DAREDEVIL 380

ANITA BLAKE VAMPIRE HUNTER GUILTY PLEASURES 1 sketch

LONGSHOT 1

WHAT IF? 47

DAREDEVIL AND THE PUNISHER CHILDS PLAY nn

I chose these issues for a number of reasons.

The Vigilante copies are two of the issues I received from Ronnylama and I just want to get them done because CGC Vigilante issues are practically nonexistent.

The Longshot Punisher Spawn and Anita Blake number ones are because they ARE number ones.

Daredevil 380 and What If 47 are both last issues of their respective series.

The Childs Play one shot is simply to have one graded that will come in one of the thicker cases.

But one of the main reasons I am doing this is to test how my personal abilities at gauging grades lines up with CGC standards. Its also to just have gone through the experience of submitting issues this way and the whole process involved in doing so.

We will see how I fair in the grades but I am pretty sure they all have more than a reasonable shot at achieving 9.8. I wont be surprised to see the What If come back as 9.6. It is the one issue I am not 100 percent sure about.

The Daredevil 273 has a real shot at 9.9 in my opinion! That is the reason I am sending it in.

I will do updated journals on my personal experience with submitting.

MUCHO thanks again to Ronnylama for his generosity.

See more journals by bagofleas

Good luck,

My first submitting was at the Wizard World Austin with an Uncanny X-Force #1 premiere variant and a Uncanny X-Force Sketched blank by Mark Texiera. Both came in at 9.8 and since have had pretty good luck with Modern's. As for the Economy and older stuff not so much. My grading has something left to be worked on and every issue I have sent in thinking were 9.0 or higher seems to come in right on the border or lower by a hair. As an example an Astonishing Tales 25 (1st Deathlok) signed by Stan Lee, Len Wein, and George Perez which I thought was at minimum a 9.4 came in at 9.0 and an Uncanny X-Men 112 signed by George Perez which at minimum was a 9.0 came in at 8.5. Both were under graded from my perception but once I got the notes on the comics I was able to see where I went wrong or at least where some minor nit picking came in. Honestly if they weren't Signature Series I would tear them out and try again but since they are they'll be put up in the man cave.

My next Modern submission which just barely eeks by with the Modern tier is a big 15 drop with:

Daredevil 181 (Death of Elektra)

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars 8 (Spider-man Black symbiote)

New Mutants 87 (1st Cable)

New Mutants Annual 2 (1st Psylocke)

Uncanny X-Men 141 (Days of Future Past)

Uncanny X-Men 142 (Days of Future Past)

Uncanny X-Men 173 (Loved the Cover)

Uncanny X-Men 191 (1st Nimrod Sentinel)

Uncanny X-Men 210 (1st Marauders and Mutant Massacre)

Uncanny X-Men 211 (Mutant Massacre)

Uncanny X-Men 213 (Psylocke Joins the X-Men)

Uncanny X-Men 221 (1st Mr Sinister)

Uncanny X-Men 222 (Who Doesn't like seeing Sabertooth stabbed in the chest by Wolverine)

X-Factor 6 (1st Apocalypse)

X-Factor 24 (1st Archangel)

All of these based off of the notes given back on my previous economies and older moderns should be 9.0's or higher including 3 that had been previously graded but removed so to help me better understand the grading.

Again good luck to you in your first submission set.