• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drawer Box Question

7 posts in this topic

i have a bunch of drawer boxes. really like them, but they've never been wide enough for the thick Mylars (thinking of getting Gerber Mylites2's or Mylites4's) i would like to use on my comics. Now i see they have Magazine/CGC Drawer Boxes, but the width isn't listed. Does anyone have one, or know what the width is?

http://collection.powweb.com/images/Page3.html

I don't know if these are the same size and it only lists exterior dimension but it may give an idea.

Exterior Dimensions: 17 3/4" long x 10 5/8" wide x 13 1/8" high

http://www.tcbulk.com/scripts/prodview.asp?idproduct=652

I ordered some short boxes some time ago from this group. The transaction went fine. I don't if there is a size or quality difference between the ones reference though.

With all the caveats I laid - I'm guessing my post is fairly useless. :facepalm:

The inside clearance (height) of the magazine/CGC DrawerBox is 13". The inside width of the drawer is 9 3/4". Subtract just under 1/2" from the width if the BoxSort Upright Divider system is used.

But I'm not sure why your Mylars do not fit in the comic size since they were specifically designed to accept Mylars. I believe they are the only long or short comic box that takes the height of the tabs on Mylars into consideration. Any Modern Age or Silver Age Mylar should fit just fine. The only size Mylars that won't fit are Golden Age or Silver/Gold Mylars. Silver/Gold Mylars are specifically sized for '50's Dells, among other '50's publishers, and because they are wider, shouldn't be used on newer comics since the comics may rotate in the bag and the corners become blunted.

There are a big differences between true DrawerBoxes and the ones linked to from TCBulk. Those are actually made by BCW. Note that they use "250# test" corrugated, which is actually a standard grade with an ECT (Edge Crush Test-the correct industry test for stacking strength) rating of 33#. Magazine/CGC DrawerBoxes uses a support sleeve with an ECT rating over 100# and counting the shell, actually employ a triple wall construction. Additionally, the support sleeve in DrawerBoxes not only covers the top but also reach completely to the front of the shell. Others do not go across the top and are about 3-4" short of extending to the front. This is critical because when a drawer hangs open the weight is concentrated on the front of the unit. If there is no support in that area the shell (or house as BCW/TCBulk calls it) will fail.

Rich

The Collection Drawer Co.