• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee

27 posts in this topic

I obviously understand getting Stan Lee to sign a comic book that he wrote, but I see a lot of comic books that he didn't personally work on, but he created the characters. I don't see any other comic creator doing the same. Do people really appreciate him signing comics like that, or is it misguided?

i think some people appreciate it. Just depends on a person's individual tastes. Some people just have him sign any Marvel book, as they think of him as Marvel personified. Its not a small amount of money, so its up to them what they'll get signed. He seems willing enough to take the money.

Everyone who collects has different goals or preferences, some people would look down on a Stan Lee Star Wars book. Others look down on getting a sig on a Stan lee created character book, even if he didn't write it.

I look at it this way: If my 12 year old son only owns 5 comics, and he chooses his favorite modern Fantastic Four or Spiderman, and he saves up his hard earned money to get that favorite book signed by Stan Lee, who am I or anyone else to look down on him for it? This hobby (for most) is about fun, and most of it got into it as kids. So its your money, do what you like, you don't have to agree with what everyone else likes.

Well I understand that the value of a thing is determined by those who want to buy it, and if people want Stan Lee's signatures on any Marvel book, then so be it. But whereas I can understand Stan Lee signing any Silver Age Marvel book, getting him to sign something more recent baffles me. Do people care if he signs X-23 #1?

Well, look at it this way.

Lets say you were a huge Celtics fan. You loved Larry Bird like he was your brother. You spent your whole life telling your son and then later your grandson about Larry Bird, who is a legend in Boston, obviously.

One day you take your grandson to a game, you get him a Rajon Rondo jersey, and you're having a great time. And you somehow run into Larry Bird in line for a beer. Is it ok if your grandson wants Larry Bird to sign his Rondo jersey? What if you're wearing a Robert Parish jersey? Do you ask Larry to sign it? This is your one and only chance. What if Larry came to your house by accident to ask for directions? Wouldn't you grab any and all Celtics gear in your house and have him sign it, regardless of what the item was?

Does it make that much sense? Maybe, maybe not. But if you're a huge Larry Bird fan it seems like the most natural thing in the world.

Either way, I don't think I'd care anyone else walking around wearing a Robert Parish jersey signed by Larry Bird.

I do believe I've seen Jim Lee SS Gambit books that he didn't directly work on, but signed since it's his character. I cannot for the life of me remember which thread it was here though, just that it was a month or two ago.

I don't see it as being something misguided if you have a creator (or co-creator) sign a later issue they didn't directly work on, or anyone else for whatever reason. I got what a of folks consider to be the "wrong" books signed by Stan Lee. My 10 year old self who busted his to get the cash to buy most expensive comic he had ever purchased (a $25 Wolverine #1) was quite thrilled when many years later it was signed by Stan Lee. My young self pretty much was of the conclusion that Stan was the man to thank for EVERYTHING in the Marvel Universe. Without him none of it would exist. Same reason why my Iron Man #1 was signed by him even though he was just the editor on the issue. My young self was in the back of me head saying without Stan it might not exist or be quite different.

For me, it's not about making the most strategic moves to assure fat wads of cash down the road. It's about being a hobby and having fun and maybe keeping a couple promises I made to myself when I was younger. I can't really complain about checking off an item from my bucket list when I was 10. They are much easier to achieve than the ones on it now and they seemed nearly impossible when I was 10.

i always get creators or co creators of characters to sign any book with that character.

thats just me. i am an autograph collector as much as a comic book collector so the ss thing is perfect for me.

collect what you want to collect. have someone sign what you want them to sign.

i guess the big question i would ask is why does it matter what someone else gets signed or who they get to sign it? this is a hobby and it is about collecting what you want and having fun. so why does it matter?

I do believe I've seen Jim Lee SS Gambit books that he didn't directly work on, but signed since it's his character.

+1. I have always wanted a 9.8 Xmen 266 SS by Jim Lee. He created the character. But I do not care about Stan Lee signed books. But I can see both sides and why someone would think it is awesome to have.

Ex. Stan Lee SS on any spidey book maybe cool to someone else but not me. But they may have the same opinion about my Xmen SS Jim Lee book.

Stan just signs any Marvel book. I've seen a few issues featuring Deadpool and Ghost Rider signed by him... a little odd, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I've also seen a Tony Moore signed Walking Dead 100, so yeah... :facepalm:

Having worked with Stan Lee on some signings at San Diego and New York, I have seen my fair share of weird and wonderful things people bring to sign.

Some people even turn up with nothing, and want it signed on scrap paper. I politely ask are you serious?

Buy a spiderman print, a comic or have a autograph book. Dont just get a scrap piece of paper signed.

I have seen various comics ranging to AF 15 to brand new comcis, Capt America shields, bases of models.

Having worked with Stan Lee on some signings at San Diego and New York, I have seen my fair share of weird and wonderful things people bring to sign.

Some people even turn up with nothing, and want it signed on scrap paper. I politely ask are you serious?

Buy a spiderman print, a comic or have a autograph book. Dont just get a scrap piece of paper signed.

I have seen various comics ranging to AF 15 to brand new comcis, Capt America shields, bases of models.

In London, some dude brought a painting to get signed....it was good, but I didnt get it...to each his own...

It's all a matter of personal preference really. I usually don't have people sign books they didn't work on but have been known to make exceptions. It certainly makes more sense to have Stan sign a book he wrote but depending on the book and what it means to the individual having it signed. Here's pics of my Stan SS books, as you can see there's only one that's a book he didn't contribute to but I still wanted to have him on there anyway.

th_Avengers1Mexico.jpgth_Avengers4.jpgth_Avengers4Germany.jpgth_Avengers4Mexico.jpgth_Avengers4UnitedKingdom.jpg

th_CaptainAmerica4.jpg

th_FantasticFour5UnitedKingdom.jpgth_StrangeTales114.jpgth_TalesofSuspense58.jpgth_TalesofSuspense59.jpgth_TalesofSuspense63.jpg

I obviously understand getting Stan Lee to sign a comic book that he wrote, but I see a lot of comic books that he didn't personally work on, but he created the characters. I don't see any other comic creator doing the same. Do people really appreciate him signing comics like that, or is it misguided?

Hi and welcome to the boards!

Actually several creators sign books that they have not worked on, but created or co-created the character(s) on the cover... Herb Trimpe for one...

But to each his own...

I have to admit that I swing both ways depending on the book...

Joe Simon is another example of a character creator signing a book he didnt work on but features a character he created (Captain America).

And I cant remember, but at some point I think I saw a Romita Sr. signing of a IH181 since he provided some design input to Wolverine's costume?

It's your book, so you get to decide.

If my favorite character was Deadpool, and I had a chance to meet the "Godfather of Marvel" I could imagine being hyped at a Stan Lee signature on my Deadpool #1

I prefer a direct connection to the book in most cases, but have a few exceptions. This is an example of an exception:

th_AmazingSpider-Man657.jpg

Stan didn't actually work on the book, but the cover features two of his biggest creations (symbol anyway) on it and there was some great space to sign, so I thought it was a no-brainer.

I prefer a direct connection to the book in most cases, but have a few exceptions. This is an example of an exception:

th_AmazingSpider-Man657.jpg

Stan didn't actually work on the book, but the cover features two of his biggest creations (symbol anyway) on it and there was some great space to sign, so I thought it was a no-brainer.

Great cover for sigs... wish they didnt put the UPC box right in the middle of the cover! :facepalm: