• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel reboot on cnn.com

63 posts in this topic

Oh, and here come the variant covers. :facepalm:

CAPTAIN AMERICA #1

1) RICK REMENDER (W) • JOHN ROMITA JR (A&C)

2) variant cover by JOE QUESADA

3) Sketch variant cover by JOE QUESADA

4) BABY VARIANT cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG

5) ARTIST VARIANT COVER BY Ryan Meinerding

6) Design Variant by JEROME OPEñA

7) Blank Cover Also Available

I don't know what to think. I hated the DC 52 idea when they announced it and swore I wouldn't buy it but it turned out very good.

I am thinking I will buy all of these and read them and then decide if I am still collecting or cancelling all of these titles.

It's a shame really, JR Jr used to be good. His style has gotten more and more jarring over the years. :(

Kick was a fun read, but man his art was terrible.

JR JR's talent still shines through his layouts but I really don't like the way his linework has changed through the years.

He's trying to do this gritty, edgy "Frank Miller" style thing but he's a clean artist and his work looks better clean.

He's trying to do this gritty, edgy "Frank Miller" style thing but he's a clean artist and his work looks better clean.

Jr should stop doing Miller.

Miller should stop too.

I actually don't think it's all that bad.

He's very consistent in the way he draws characters. I can remember him drawing Spidey like that back in the 80's.

meh, this sort of stuff happens all the time I don't even bat an eye anymore.

My favourite title DD has been rebooted a couple times now, had the whole "revert back to old numbering" thing happen and even had a different character entirely take over the title! (Black Panther for a year or so).

meh, whatever.... It's expected now so why fight it?

I actually don't think it's all that bad.

He's very consistent in the way he draws characters. I can remember him drawing Spidey like that back in the 80's.

Hi, Roy,

My formative years in this hobby took place during Romita Jr's initial run on ASM, during the Roger Stern scripted years.

As a Spidey collector for 30 years and an OA collector for 10 years with focus on Romita Jr Spidey, I have to disagree with your statement regarding his consistency in the way he draws characters. Its simply not so.

Over the years, John's art has become much more raw and a lot less polished, perhaps due to work on two monthly titles or movie work or change in inkers.

I'm not certain how much of a difference can be attributed specifically to the inker, but what I do know is when Romita Sr or Al Williamson provided inks, Jr's artwork was excellent.

There are specific storylines where a specific inker was a perfect compliment to John's pencils, and I think the first 8 issue storyarc of Punisher War Zone highlights the wonderful addition of Klaus Janson's inks to the dark n gritty maffia story.

His work with other inkers has been hit-or-miss for several years now.

I'm not certain how much of a difference can be attributed specifically to the inker, but what I do know is when Romita Sr or Al Williamson provided inks, Jr's artwork was excellent.

Go back farther to Iron Man when he was inked by Bob Layton. Romita/Layton is one of the best penciler/inker teams of all time.