• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldSchoolOne ... an introduction.

50 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm John "OldschoolOne" Dancy from Primos, PA.

During my 50th Birthday celebration weekend (2012), I opened my collection after about a ten or twenty year hiatus and fell in love again.

I purchased a cataloging program and in less than a week, had all 1108 issues in a database.

Thanks to "Peter loves Gwen", I found this forum and see that I've got a BUNCH of catching up to do. The industry has changed a lot since the 80s :)

Lastly, my favorite book has to be Werewolf by Night, Vol. 1 #32; the first appearance of Moon Knight.

142f.jpg

I loved the Sienkiewicz MK as a kid, always wanted a WWBN 32, and someone was selling one here just when I was looking...

Nice.

I like Sienkiewicz work also. I collected what I liked more so than what was popular of the time. New art and story lines (for the 80s).

283f.jpg

Thank you ALL for the kind welcome.

Yes ... I ~am~ old blood but I feel and act like I'm in my 30s. I remember paying face value for about 90% of my collection, down at (Mike's) Fat Jack's Comic Crypt in Philly. I doubt if the store is still there today but the memory will always be with me.

After spending the last few hours catching up on the hobby (via reading posts and the CGC web site), I found that I'm not too out of touch. Mint is still mint and fine is still fine. Mylar bags were $0.25 each. A normal title purchase for me was two books (one to read and give away and one to collect) and one mylar bag for a total of about $1.54 I even remember bagging the bought books before leaving the store :)

I like the CGC cases. SEALED. NICE! I can see almost all of my collection in those case. I like the white IKEA CABINETS with glass doors that you Guys have in your Man-Caves. I don't plan on creating a Comic Room, but if I can match a few cabinets to existing furniture, at least ~that~ would be doable. My eldest Son drives a fork lift for Ikea. There may be a cabinet or six in my future :)

Some of you have a dozen book covers in your signature. Nice touch. For now, I'll keep my signature short and sweet but I'll splash a couple covers from my collection every now and then.

359f.jpg359b.jpg