• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Underground comic book price guide..

6 posts in this topic

I don't think there is an updated UG price guide. My recommendation is to check eBay and Heritage for recent sales and check the Internet for printing information. I know there's websites out there that will tell you which copies of what books are what printing. Extrapolate from there. Remember that first printings of books can be tricky to identify sometimes but they go for the big bux.

I don't think there is an updated UG price guide. My recommendation is to check eBay and Heritage for recent sales and check the Internet for printing information. I know there's websites out there that will tell you which copies of what books are what printing. Extrapolate from there. Remember that first printings of books can be tricky to identify sometimes but they go for the big bux.

That's pretty much what I've been doing...just figured I'd ask since I wasn't having any luck locating a guide. I actually read in the new CBG that there was one released around 1982 confused.gif..the article went on to state that it's more of a collectible than a guide now smirk.gif..Oh well..thanks anyways.

Looking for a quality updated underground comic price guide or website. Any recommendations? ....have some books I wanna check up on.

1st-and-keys

There really isn't a "quality" up-to-date guide, and unless Dan Fogel tells me differently this upcoming weekend in San Diego, I don't think that one will be printed by end of year like the folks at HippyComix have been saying (for nearly the last two years) that it would. I sure hope Dan Fogel tells me differently 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My best advice is to track down a copy of Jay Kennedy's UG Price Guide (1982). They pop-up on eBay from time to time, and run between US $25-40. This is unquestionably the single best resource to distinguish different prints. The next thing would be to get your hands on either Jerry Weists Comic/Original Art Price Guide -- in it, Weist dedicates a section on some of the higher-caliber/premium undergrounds. Although values on some books are way off, it is a decent barometer on pricing for about 60% of the comix it covers.

There is also an online resource Underground Comix.Info. You might find this useful, but when you start getting into the more obscure stuff, you'll need Kennedy's guide to pin those printings down accurately.

Finally, you can always PM me. If your entertaining the idea of selling the lot, send me a list of titles and issue numbers. If you just want to ask for info, just send me as much details about the book (front and rear cover scans would be great too). Things like cover price, page count -- oh, and most important to note is that Kennedy printed a number of errors in his guide to cover his [!@#%^&^] in the event that someone decide to lift chunks of his research and use it for their own profiteering reasons (an interview on a such a thing happening to Jay can be found in the "Mailbag" section of the above-mentioned link). On some of the more premium, really obscure stuff, might be best to get a second opinion from someone who knows about these errors.

Hope this helps. thumbsup2.gif