• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Death Is Not The End!

36 posts in this topic

Bringing back 'dead' comic back characters is really annoying - it's lame and lazy and does nothing for the book or the character. I can only think of one where it has really worked and that was Brubaker's resurrection of Bucky Barnes.

For me the worst example is Marvel's genius move of having Norman Osborn still alive - everything that has been wrong with ASM in the last 20 years, and there's been lots, can be traced back to that moment.

Name your worst examples. Or tell me I'm wrong and that it's actually a good idea.

ASM122Cover.jpg

Aunt May!

Not that I was reading ASM by then, but I understand they finally did the right thing and killed her off. She was a frail old woman on the verge in 1961 for god's sake! I hate 'frozen in time' continuity.

And then they brought her back. Like they just couldn't stand to have the title and character develop in any way, ever. So then they also annulled Peter's marriage for good measure doh!

The marriage had to go - it painted Spidey into a corner that the character didn't belong in. He had no place in the Marvel universe that wouldn't have been a retread of a number of other characters.

Keep great characters timeless. Need some new ideas? with their situation, not their basic principles of what makes them who they are.

Batman never changes that is what makes him great since 1939...

The marriage had to go - it painted Spidey into a corner that the character didn't belong in. He had no place in the Marvel universe that wouldn't have been a retread of a number of other characters.

Keep great characters timeless. Need some new ideas? with their situation, not their basic principles of what makes them who they are.

Divorce would have been simpler than that Mephisto nonsense.

And whatever happened to their kid?

Aunt May!

Not that I was reading ASM by then, but I understand they finally did the right thing and killed her off. She was a frail old woman on the verge in 1961 for god's sake! I hate 'frozen in time' continuity.

And then they brought her back. Like they just couldn't stand to have the title and character develop in any way, ever. So then they also annulled Peter's marriage for good measure doh!

I must agree - Brand New Day just killed the essence of collecting modern Spider-Man comics altogether for me. She should have stayed dead and we should have seen the characters evolve from their pain instead of rebooting them to pre-Civil War times. I just think that Marvel had a hard time to keep the post Civil War reality going because they were now known targets for the baddies and that would be the dominant theme from that point forward.

Also, I never really thought that Bucky's return was really completely unexpected. We never saw him die in comics, he just fell off into the unknown in order to explain the lost 5-6 (maybe more) years that Captain America was nowhere to be found.

Aunt May!

And now she's married and having regular sex!

spidey-400-aunt-may-dies.jpg

I understand that. That's fine I guess, essentially just treading water and repeating the same formulas over and over with little touches of originality here and there (hopefully).

But I've said before that personally, I'd love to have seen Spidey age naturally and his situation evolve accordingly. Just a personal preference. I don't want him preserved in aspic. I'd rather have seen new kinds of stories befitting his changing circumstances. Have your 'ultimate universe' or whatever titles for those who want to return to and reimagine his early days.

Bringing back 'dead' comic back characters is really annoying - it's lame and lazy and does nothing for the book or the character. I can only think of one where it has really worked and that was Brubaker's resurrection of Bucky Barnes.

For me the worst example is Marvel's genius move of having Norman Osborn still alive - everything that has been wrong with ASM in the last 20 years, and there's been lots, can be traced back to that moment.

Name your worst examples. Or tell me I'm wrong and that it's actually a good idea.

ASM122Cover.jpg

Bringing him back was nothing compared to having Gwen Stacy cheat on Peter Parker with Osborn an having twins that came and attacked Spider-Man.....

To date: Daken. They have no explanation to his re-appearance, as far as I can tell. And his character sucks. He's the comic-equivalent to a WWE villain.

Invisable Kid from the Legion was one of my favorites as a child. They killed him off in a heroic manner when I was a teenager around 1973/74. Ten years later, in one of the few times I was truly shocked by a comic they brought him back.

Or seemed to. In the end Kyle Norg remained dead, as I think he should have.

I don't read many modern books so I have no idea who is dead these days.

Aunt May!

And then they brought her back. Like they just couldn't stand to have the title and character develop in any way, ever. doh!

I did stop buying new issues of ASM after that total non-sense. As a matter of fact, I also stopped buying new issues of all Marvel titles.

Jason Todd's reappearance was pretty gash. He shoulda stayed brown bread.

It was the way they brought him back. Something about his death being an event that should never have happened, so because of a Crisis crossover the timeline could right itself and his death was completely erased. Unbelievably weak idea / excuse. I think that's the gist of it, anyway?

Aunt May!

And now she's married and having regular sex!

spidey-400-aunt-may-dies.jpg

Excuse me? Seriously? :sick:

Superman's return was bollocks as well. He wasn't dead, just in a Kryptonian healing coma and a bit winded. :facepalm:

ASM122Cover.jpg

Bringing him back was nothing compared to having Gwen Stacy cheat on Peter Parker with Osborn an having twins that came and attacked Spider-Man.....

Baby-face-shocked-749817.jpg

Jason Todd's reappearance was pretty gash. He shoulda stayed brown bread.

It was the way they brought him back. Something about his death being an event that should never have happened, so because of a Crisis crossover the timeline could right itself and his death was completely erased. Unbelievably weak idea / excuse. I think that's the gist of it, anyway?

I'm pretty hazy on it to be honest, but I thought he got put in a Lazarus Pit. Can't even remember by who now either, I just haven't liked the character since he came back and it's pretty poor service to Death in the Family.