• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Xmen variant experts. Need your help.

62 posts in this topic

The #268 JC Penney variant is extremely sought after, I did own the only 9.8 which I sold to Beachbum/Dre for not much more than I paid for it, which I won't tell you how much, but it was in the $100 - $200 range. The collecting clamour for this book was high then and I turned down two other serious collectors as I felt Dre was the right owner for the book. The other two books not so much but you would get more if they were Signature Series'd. I have sourced another #268 and one #245 JC Penney but it took me awhile !!

They were originally I always thought, but you know how books get out. Now, could they have been overproduced and copies shipped elsewhere thats entirely possible. I have never seen them like that though shrunk wrapped together. In fact its pretty rare that I find more then a few at a time anywhere unless buying from people that got them from catalog order. Occasionally I will see a ebay seller with a nice chunk, but from memory I dont think I have ever seen an entire set for sale at once. Ive had the whole set over the years, but never at one time.

The #268 JC Penney variant is extremely sought after, I did own the only 9.8 which I sold to Beachbum/Dre for not much more than I paid for it, which I won't tell you how much, but it was in the $100 - $200 range. The collecting clamour for this book was high then and I turned down two other serious collectors as I felt Dre was the right owner for the book. The other two books not so much but you would get more if they were Signature Series'd. I have sourced another #268 and one #245 JC Penney but it took me awhile !!

:applause:

Has the OP gotten all the $.25 price variants as well. Those are a real pain to track down. I about died one day when I found a newstand variant of that $.25 book in a pile of $1 books in a store one day.

You mean the 423? I've had a chance to purchase one, but it was a tad bit more expensive than a dollar. lol

They were originally I always thought, but you know how books get out. Now, could they have been overproduced and copies shipped elsewhere thats entirely possible. I have never seen them like that though shrunk wrapped together. In fact its pretty rare that I find more then a few at a time anywhere unless buying from people that got them from catalog order. Occasionally I will see a ebay seller with a nice chunk, but from memory I dont think I have ever seen an entire set for sale at once. Ive had the whole set over the years, but never at one time.

I have heard accounts from several collectors that they did indeed see these sets in comic book shops but as to whether they came through the usual distribution process has not been confirmed. Sometime ago I did see a set of 1994 MVPs shrinkwrapped together in a tight bundle. Not sure if the 1992 or 1993 sets came this way but they were all sold as sets in the JCPenney and Sears catalog. My 1992 and 1994 sets were all bought as complete sets and it looks like they were never even read. The 1993 set I had to piece together from about 6 or 7 sources and figuring out which 20 issues came in the set was a major research-intensive task!

I was hoping you would see this and join in! (worship)

Metarog is the expert.

DG

Thanks, not so much an expert on X-Men variants although I do have all the Pressman, X-Men 423 error, 30 cent variants, 118 Whitman/Direct Sale, X-Men 221 So Much Fun, X-Men 302 logo variant and of course all the MVP issues. However, I never collected any of the X-titles although I have a fairly large Marvel Bronze/Copper collection.

I did do a lot of research on the 1992-94 MVP sets, So Much Fun editions, Shan-Lon minis and Marvel Silver-Age black circle variants so I do have some knowledge about those issues. Of course, just like everybody else I have no idea how the X-Men 302 came about. I chalk it up as an error variant although that is just my opinion but it is all I can come up with... similiar situation to the X-Factor 38 price anomaly.

The simple fact that you know what any of that means... makes you an expert. Sorry!

DG

actually, that makes metarog a nerd.

Considering I learned a lot of this from you makes you a what? Nerd trainer! hm

Got your power back I assume? I'll try to get ahold of you this weekend.