• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to Canada From USA

8 posts in this topic

I know, sorry guys...another shipping thread. Bottom line is I haven't shipped to Canada in like forever and just did a quick quote to ship something from USPS and it was upwards of $50. Can someone give me the skinny on the various levels of shipping/costs. Ideally I'd like end to end tracking of the transaction, but when I last shipped that wasn't 100% possible. Trying to weigh cost options and mitigate as much risk as possible.

I'm talking about CGC books, and insurance/tracking.

Thanks!

Nice, I also would like some more info... I live in Canada, and recently had books shipped to me from the states using USPS and was curious of the options... the process seems pretty complicated going through customs and stuff. (Fedex seems so much easier)

Using USPS I see the basic breakdown for items as this:

Up to 4 lbs - First Class - cheapest @ $10-14 ??? or so but tracking isn't great and insurance may not be an option - this would be non-boxed or very small boxes presumably. I'm not that well versed on this option.

Boxed Options

Up to 20 lbs - Priority Med $33/Large $39 - tracking with customs number works, can be insured - I think there's adequate POD evidence in their tracing to satisfy ebay/paypal.

I think Express is pretty costly (over $60) but gives you all the bells & whistles that you might want & it's quicker.

http://ircalc.usps.com/

You may need to re-add the destination country in this link, also USPS rates are increasing in Jan 2013.

In general when it comes via USPS/Canada Post - here's the customs outline:

- anything over $20 Cdn should be taxable (comics are duty free)

- in most cases the customs/postal people won't prepare an entry unless the tax to be collected meets whatever "tax outlay threshold" they deem is worth their time to process and it's usually based on how busy/backlogged they are.

When an entry is created you pay tax based on GST plus whatever your provincial % is and you pay a $9.95 customs clearance fee to the post office.

For BC & Ontario destined comics they'll generally give you the 'point of sale book rebate' on provincial tax if your shipper describes your item as "books" or "comic books" even though I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply.

(thumbs u

Using USPS I see the basic breakdown for items as this:

Up to 4 lbs - First Class - cheapest @ $10-14 ??? or so but tracking isn't great and insurance may not be an option - this would be non-boxed or very small boxes presumably. I'm not that well versed on this option.

Boxed Options

Up to 20 lbs - Priority Med $33/Large $39 - tracking with customs number works, can be insured - I think there's adequate POD evidence in their tracing to satisfy ebay/paypal.

I think Express is pretty costly (over $60) but gives you all the bells & whistles that you might want & it's quicker.

http://ircalc.usps.com/

You may need to re-add the destination country in this link, also USPS rates are increasing in Jan 2013.

In general when it comes via USPS/Canada Post - here's the customs outline:

- anything over $20 Cdn should be taxable (comics are duty free)

- in most cases the customs/postal people won't prepare an entry unless the tax to be collected meets whatever "tax outlay threshold" they deem is worth their time to process and it's usually based on how busy/backlogged they are.

When an entry is created you pay tax based on GST plus whatever your provincial % is and you pay a $9.95 customs clearance fee to the post office.

For BC & Ontario destined comics they'll generally give you the 'point of sale book rebate' on provincial tax if your shipper describes your item as "books" or "comic books" even though I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply.

(thumbs u

I must be missing something, because when I look at shipping options, I only see the more expensive options. Does that insurance cover door to door or only to border?

If you go to the link, select Canada in the drop down then there is a sideways scroll for service options - here's a sample of what I see for Med Priority from last post.

Click on the size you want and it brings you to a screen with the postage rate calculator.

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10054&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=12

On that screen click Customs forms and extra services, that's where you can see what your coverage is for insurance etc.. on that next page click the "?" by insurance.

http://ircalc.usps.com/ExtraServices.aspx?country=10054&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=12

I must be missing something, because when I look at shipping options, I only see the more expensive options. Does that insurance cover door to door or only to border?

You need to click on the options boxes for first class and priority. Those sneaky postal weasels always show you the most expensive options first, like global express or whatever.