• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Hulk vs Thing?

116 posts in this topic

Other than the single punch panel already posted, here is the rest of the Hulk/Thing fight from FF12. Battle? Skirmish? You decide.

FF12HulkThing.jpg

Uh, that looks like a fight to me...

Fight

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

This thread is exactly the sort of thread the old-timers bemoan as not happening on these boards any longer; a real nerd debate about comicbook minutiae.

Congratulations to all involved

This thread is exactly the sort of thread the old-timers bemoan as not happening on these boards any longer; a real nerd debate about comicbook minutiae.

It has been pretty awesome.

I'll take a shot.

I believe FF 112 was their next fight, then they hooked up again in an issue of Hulk- Edited- it was issue 122.

In the later Bronze age they had a battle where they reversed minds and fought in each others bodies. That was in the thirty five cent title called Marvel Super Stars or something to that effect- It was the first issue of marvels short lived Giant Sized books, and next they alternatley fought then teamed up in FF 166/ 167.

Thats from memory and could be wrong.

They fought in Marvel Feature #11, which was post Hulk #122 and pre- Giant Size Super Stars #1. Also from memory and could be wrong.

1st line of the description.

Looks like CGC read this thread and switched labels.

Looks like CGC realized they made a mistake and corrected it.

FF12HulkThing.jpg

You want nerdy? I'll give you nerdy:

Look at what happens in those 4 panels that the Thing and Hulk meet in:

a) Thing wallops Hulk and knocks him into the side of a house/barn

b) Hulk throws a cart/wagon at the thing

c) They crash into each other exchanging blows

d) Thing sends a pile driver Hulks way and just as he's about to connect the Hulk gets zapped by a "strange, atom-powered ray" (god, I love 60's sci fi lingo!).

What's real important though, is to read the word boxes at the top of each panel: Stan Lee calls this a "mind staggering battle [reaching it's final climax]" in the last panel Open and shut case.

In my opinion, the fact that this "battle" is only laid out in 4 panels simply shows how far story telling has evolved, and what they used to convey on one page, in a few panels in the early silver age what they now stretch out to cover entire story arcs. For example, we went from the Hulk entering a house/barn to fetching a carriage with no story pics in between to convey that.

Comic book story telling has evolved from children's books to adult books. We're a bunch of adults trying to interpret children's story pics without actually reading the words.

The final word should be that the word battle was used by the author, conveying that this was a monumental fight that took longer than the 4 panels alone show.

Pretty simple...if you read your comics!

lol

I completely disagree.

Roy owes me an apology.

Unwinnable debate if it boils down to apparently variable definitions of what constitutes a fight.

As for my intents and comments, my intent was never to derail a sales thread. I believe there is no better venue for comic transactions anywhere, I just saw what I believed (and continue to believe) was an error in the description, and pointed it out. Admittedly I should have handled it via pm, that just didn't occur to me at the time (and I have apologized for this, even though it has likely increased the thread's exposure).

As for the dusty comment, I was simply returning the attitude that was directed at me.

I completely disagree.

Roy owes me an apology.

It's awesome because I won.

:acclaim:

For the Thing or FF angle, let us apply simple mathematical principles.

If the FF fought the Hulk, and the Thing is a subset of the FF, then the Thing did in fact fight the Hulk.

And not to get too butt smoochy here, but I'd rather have Roy on my side vs CGC & Bob O.

It's both.

It's an FF fight and a Thing fight.

I've forever held that book in high regard as the first Hulk/Thing battle issue. It's one of the greatest single Marvel SA books of the 1960's.

First crossover (tied with ASM #1 of course).

First battle issue with the Hulk

Classic cover (top 3 SA of all time for me)

Classic story

Early FF book (FF roolz, even Spidey droolz in comparison)

I'm in your corner, Mackenzie!

:slapfight: