• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story

184 posts in this topic

I'm almost done with this book (I'm currently reading about the great demise of comics in the 90s).

One of the things I keep asking myself as I read this is whether or not comics have ever been any good. Reading the behind-the-scenes action makes me think everything sucked. The Marvel Method of drawing and then adding word balloons to editorial dictating everything to the making of gimmick covers...seems like all the creators always thought they were churning out garbage. Which in turn, to some degree, makes me feel like a sucker for continually wanting to read any of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Comics-The-Untold-Story/dp/0061992100/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352608203&sr=8-1&keywords=story+of+marvel

Noticed it in the Stanford bookstore New and Popular Section. Looks like a good read. Has anyone here read it yet?

A couple years back (actually many years ago), there was a book called 'Comic Wars' that dealt with the comic speculation boom and how Marvel Comics was driven to ruin. It is also well worth the read. That being said, I would gladly order this and I thank you for pointing it out!

Regards,

'mint'

I read it. It was a very good book.

Initially, it reminded me of a precise of all the articles I read in The Comics Journal over the years. As it went on though, I realized that the author had talked to people on the inside who had details which were far beyond what I had previously had access too.

The book portrays Jim Shooter as a micro-manager and worse, but also puts him in the context of a series of men who wouldn't or couldn't manage at all.

Also, I grew up reading Marvel. It is no exaggeration to say that Marvel comics molded my life (and don't worry, things turned out just fine). All that Marvel Bullpen Bulletin News and chummy writing from Stan the Man has meant something to me. I suppose it has been almost like a religion that a person is inculcated into in their youth; even after learning that it is based on lies it is hard to shake it.

This book depicts Marvel as a researcher might depict Imperial Oil, Dow Chemical or Reynold's Tobacco. It is very hard to feel a tie to the incredible Hulk when those who control him treat him not like a work of art or a creation of a very small committee, but like a product, plain and simple. The people in control have been interested only in promotion, profit, and price. That old Stan Lee canard, "Take care of the comics and the business will take care of itself," may have made sense when cousin Marty owned the company, but now it's just a way of justifying the latest promotion.

Read it.

Anybody read this Marvel Comics In The 1970s: An Issue-By-Issue Field Guide and the previous volume about the 1960's?

Was thinking about getting both volumes and was wondering what they are like.

I ordered both re-offerings from DCBS based on the U.S. Amazon site reviews which are very positive. Looking forward to it.

Normally, I like to buy hard copy books so I can place them in my library after reading them, but after reading some of the comments here, I bought a Kindle edition and downloaded it to my iPad, just so I could get it faster. This book is great, and that is coming from someone who grew up on DC Comics and is still a DC fan. I read it in 2 days, and highly recommend it to everyone interested in how comics really work! And yes, I will still buy a hard copy! :banana::banana:

I started reading the book and I think that it's good but not great. Yes, its very interesting but its not as insightful as I had hoped. It's more like you are sitting down with the guy over dinner and he's telling you stories.

As returner noted, it is "funny" to read a quote from one creator about how he created a character from scratch and then read a counter quote from the co-creator basically contradicting what the other creator said.

The fact is that everyone got screwed except for the publisher.

I'm up to the point where Roy Thomas has resigned as Editor in Chief. Its interesting, but I've come across several errors, i believe. The timelines seem wrong in a few instances, and I don't recall The Inhumans ever being a back up feature in Thor.

Honestly, its not nearly as compelling as I thought it would be.

I started reading the book and I think that it's good but not great. Yes, its very interesting but its not as insightful as I had hoped. It's more like you are sitting down with the guy over dinner and he's telling you stories.

As returner noted, it is "funny" to read a quote from one creator about how he created a character from scratch and then read a counter quote from the co-creator basically contradicting what the other creator said.

Martin Goodman was really the genuis. For a multimillionaire he sure doesn`t ever get talked about as being the one who bankrolled the Marvel empire.

Martingoodman.jpg

I don't recall The Inhumans ever being a back up feature in Thor.

The Inhumans were a 5-page back-up feature in Thor # 146 - 152 back in 1967 - 1968.

Really? I stand corrected. I don't remember that at all.Thanks.

BTW- Have those stories ever been reprinted?

I don't recall The Inhumans ever being a back up feature in Thor.

The Inhumans were a 5-page back-up feature in Thor # 146 - 152 back in 1967 - 1968.

Really? I stand corrected. I don't remember that at all.Thanks.

BTW- Have those stories ever been reprinted?

(thumbs u

675028.jpg

Thanks for the link. I have learned more from that one article than from the first 100 pages of this book.

Thanks indeed. I haven’t read the book, but his review is what suspected it would be like. I’ll just wait and read a library copy.

Martin Goodman was really the genuis. For a multimillionaire he sure doesn`t ever get talked about as being the one who bankrolled the Marvel empire.

Martingoodman.jpg

Goodman was no genius.

His philosophy was to find out what was being published that was popular, copy it, and glut the market with the same kind of product.

He had no respect for artists, and yet Kirby essentially saved Marvel when Goodman told Stan to try and copy the success DC was having with a return to superheroes. Despite that, he'd go out of his way to screw Kirby from getting the credit and compensation he deserved.

That's not a genius, that's a scoundrel.

Four years before that Goodman practically had to shut down the company because of a poor business decision to use American News as a distributor who shut down a year later. (They were under investigation for shady dealings)

He then had to sign a distribution deal with DC Comics(!) that limited his output to 8 titles a month.

He left so much money on the table by not finding the right deal to market his properties, a true sign that he never had the vision to see just how valuable they were.

Stan Lee is more qualified to be called a 'genius' than Goodman ever could. He at least appreciated the talent that worked for him and had the vision to see they were creating something lasting and special.

Lee, Kirby and Ditko saved that company, DESPITE Goodman.