• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Ok...now you two can't get in a fight over this...but, like yesterday, I have to go with the first correctly spelled answer.

Sorry. cry2.gif

You went with the earlier answer, though both were changed.

I could have, and did not, change my answer. The answer was clear, typo aside.

Come on, now....

Ok...now you two can't get in a fight over this...but, like yesterday, I have to go with the first correctly spelled answer.

Sorry. cry2.gif

Come on, now....

It doesn't matter to me.

Do we need a poll? lol

or just a new rule?

1st unedited right answer?

Sorry. cry2.gif

Come on, now....

It doesn't matter to me.

Do we need a poll? lol

All I can say is, had the roles been reversed, I would have insisted it go to Ken.

A poll would not be particularly fair.

or just a new rule?

Or just a rule, period?

"Spelling counts."

I actually made it clear that spelling counts several times. :sumo:

In the past it's been one of those, misspell at your own peril type deals. If there are no close time-stamp answers it isn't a problem and I just let it slide.

Again, I don't care. lol

But I do care what the majority thinks, since...you know...we're living in the world's greatest democracy and everything. :)

or just a new rule?

Or just a rule, period?

"Spelling counts."

I actually made it clear that spelling counts several times. :sumo:

If that's the case, then Ken gets it.

Like I said...I noticed the typo instantly, and could have changed it, and no one would have been the wiser. I did not, because I didn't think it mattered and editing your answer is gauche.

When you're playing against the clock, typos get made, but if precision is the answer, it should always be the answer, every time, for every answer.

So, if someone posts "Neal Adams Batamn #232" and the next person posts "Neal Adams, Batman #232", it should go to the second person. And if someone posts "Neil Adams Batman #232", that's wrong, too.

[

But I do care what the majority thinks, since...you know...we're living in the world's greatest democracy and everything. :)

Like I said, a poll isn't fair, because I am who I am. Not complaining; it's my bed, and I made it. But the results aren't going to be as accurate as if it was between, say, Person X and Person Y.

:cloud9:

My personal opinion is "don't sweat the small stuff." Meaning, if I understand that what the person meant, that's all that matters.

But, I was was looking forward to possible conflicts. We just had two answers within 1 second of each other. What happens if you have two answers submitted with the exact same time stamp and one is misspelled?

My personal opinion is "don't sweat the small stuff." Meaning, if I understand that what the person meant, that's all that matters.

But, I was was looking forward to possible conflicts. We just had two answers within 1 second of each other. What happens if you have two answers submitted with the exact same time stamp and one is misspelled?

There's no such thing. The board code automatically separates posts, even fractions of second (if possible) within each other. Two posts cannot appear at the exact same place, and exact same time. One of them will be posted after the other, according to how the program parses the code, even if they have the exact same time stamp.

But even if that was the case, the answer is to insist on absolute precision, all the time. Problems solved.

The only real problem is editing, which can be done in stealth, and then we require honor.

They both get points. (shrug)

I'm cool with that if everyone agrees.

So, the poll isn't going to help since it's currently at 50/50.

So I'm going to make an executive decision and say that spelling/typos don't matter as long as it's obvious what the person meant. Timestamps are more important. And if two people submit correct answers at the exact same time (with or without spelling problems/typos) they are both awarded the points.

Since we are modifying the rules slightly, and since there was only one second between the answers, I'm going to award both Rocky and Ken points so that no one feels cheated.

Are we good?