• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditch Fahrenheit's Journal
7 7

17,386 posts in this topic

Very nice.

I once played in the pit in marching band. Sophomore year, and we were doing a "Scheherazade" suite (Rimsky-Korsakov)...(I think, it's been 30 years)...I was the drum major (conductor), but during the percussion solo, I had convinced the band director that I could play the glock (the metal keyboard instrument on the far left in the video) and so I got down off the podium and did. My first, last, and only time as a percussionist.

:D

I was ok with one pair of mallets, and that's all that was needed, but I don't think I could have ever gotten the hang of doubles. Those guys are fierce.

Here's some incredible pit action from my days in drum corps...no good shots of them, but you can hear the keyboard instruments, who were...pun intended...instrumental to this show:

3:01 to 3:08 is an example of the madness.

Percussion won the caption that year.

I'm in there somewhere, but I was playing baritone bugle.

You should see Santa Clara now.

There's so much construction going on everywhere, you wouldn't recognize it.

Can we get a followup on this tool? Being fired is probably too good for him.

i read some comments somewhere that he wasn't fired and he's always saying dumb stuff like this

at the end he chuckles because he said the weather high was '69'

I think he's 12

Very nice.

I once played in the pit in marching band. Sophomore year, and we were doing a "Scheherazade" suite (Rimsky-Korsakov)...(I think, it's been 30 years)...I was the drum major (conductor), but during the percussion solo, I had convinced the band director that I could play the glock (the metal keyboard instrument on the far left in the video) and so I got down off the podium and did. My first, last, and only time as a percussionist.

:D

I was ok with one pair of mallets, and that's all that was needed, but I don't think I could have ever gotten the hang of doubles. Those guys are fierce.

Here's some incredible pit action from my days in drum corps...no good shots of them, but you can hear the keyboard instruments, who were...pun intended...instrumental to this show:

3:01 to 3:08 is an example of the madness.

Percussion won the caption that year.

I'm in there somewhere, but I was playing baritone bugle.

You should see Santa Clara now.

There's so much construction going on everywhere, you wouldn't recognize it.

I was at the last Big Wow show in April of last year, and I try to drive by the old field where we used to practice, which was an unused Mission College field....

...it's now condos.

:(

The town I lived in for 22 years is now being built up quite a lot. Most of it housing developments. Lots of old wooded acreage and former farmland, gone. It's depressing to drive through there these days. I get really annoyed when people try to justify it on the basis of increased tax base. Sucks to see houses in so much area we used to play in as kids. There is a land trust in town but they can only save so much.

I was at the last Big Wow show in April of last year, and I try to drive by the old field where we used to practice, which was an unused Mission College field....

...it's now condos.

:(

Did you know that Mission College was also designed to be a mall in case the college failed?

True factoid.

Didn't know that.

Is Tom Hanks from Hayward?

Apparently, he's from just up the road in Concord, but he ended up going to Chabot...he must have moved to Hayward at some point. If he went to Chabot in the mid-70's, that would have been around the time my father was there, I think.