• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wait so its a Bronze or Modern age book?

23 posts in this topic

So im looking at a transformers # 6 1st printing which was released 7/85

So from what ive gathered a Bronze age book is from 1970-1985 and a Modern age book is from 1985-current.

so pretty much if a book is released in 1985 is it a Bronze or Modern?

Golden Age - 1938-1945

Atom Age - 1946-1955

Silver Age - 1956-1969

Bronze Age - 1970-1979

Copper Age - 1980-1991

Chrome Age - 1992-2003

Modern Age - 2004-Present

Your mileage may vary...

I personally reject the idea that the Bronze age went all the way to 1985.

I think that if Cgc set the "modern" cutt off at 1980 that probably is the MAXIMUM cutt off. As we all know Cgc is not adverse to charging more if they can, so it would be to their advantage to extend the bronze age further and charge more.

I think that if Cgc set the "modern" cutt off at 1980 that probably is the MAXIMUM cutt off. As we all know Cgc is not adverse to charging more if they can, so it would be to their advantage to extend the bronze age further and charge more.

CGC's pricing tiers doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what fandom considers to be the beginning and ending points of the various comic ages. For instance, CGC once considered any books starting at 1975 to be "modern."

CGC's pricing tiers doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what fandom considers to be the beginning and ending points of the various comic ages. For instance, CGC once considered any books starting at 1975 to be "modern."

I don't don't think it determines what the cut off actually is rather that it is just an indicator of the possible maximum.

If Cgc says anything >1980 = modern then a fortiori anything post 1980 probably is not bronze.

As bronze is a higher standard temporally than modern.

Pre 1950 - Golden Age

1950-59 - Atomic Age

1960-69 - Silver Age

1970-79 - Bronze Age

1980-89 - Copper Age

1990-99 - ImAge

2000-2009 - "Ultimate" Age

2010 - Present - Modern

Simple, easier to comprehend, close enough.

I don't don't think it determines what the cut off actually is rather that it is just an indicator of the possible maximum.

If Cgc says anything >1980 = modern then a fortiori anything post 1980 probably is not bronze.

As bronze is a higher standard temporally than modern.

They don't ... CGC considers books from 1980 to 1990 to be copper age books, hence the "copper age" category in the Registry.

That copper age books are graded under the "modern" tier doesn't really mean anything - "modern", in this regard, is simply a label that CGC uses to make a distinction between newer and older books.

I go more by typical prices.

10 cent, 12 cent 15 cent, 25 cent Giants= Silver Age.

20 cent, 25 cent, 30 cent, 35 cent, 40 cent, 50 cent, Dollar comics= Bronze Age.

60 cents and up are copper.

$1.50 and up are modern.

I go more by typical prices.

10 cent, 12 cent 15 cent, 25 cent Giants= Silver Age.

20 cent, 25 cent, 30 cent, 35 cent, 40 cent, 50 cent, Dollar comics= Bronze Age.

I tend to use prices, too, along with the associated later start to the Bronze Age.

I started seriously collecting with 15¢ Marvels* and I didn't notice a real difference in the feel of the books until the 20 centers: Kirby goes to DC; a dilution of artistic talent; a great (and expensive) increase in the number of titles for anyone who was a completionist; a very eclectic expansion of genres; Conan; and the death of Gwen Stacey.

And though these things above were not necessarily concurrent, they led to a change of eras in my, then, very young estimation.

*Those were good times.

If Cgc says anything >1980 = modern/copper then a fortiori anything post 1980 probably is not bronze.

As bronze is a higher standard temporally than modern/copper.

They don't ... CGC considers books from 1980 to 1990 to be copper age books, hence the "copper age" category in the Registry.

That copper age books are graded under the "modern" tier doesn't really mean anything - "modern", in this regard, is simply a label that CGC uses to make a distinction between newer and older books.

Fixed