• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The most important comicbook artist...

135 posts in this topic

Kirby without hesitation. His work is the equivalent of the Church pedigree collection when comparing other artists/pedigree's.

:eyeroll:

In terms of overall importance? Who would you choose McFarlane lover... :baiting:

I've already posted, salad tosser. :baiting:

I'm a huge fan of both of the artists you named, but in terms of "importance" in comicbooks...no

My eye roll wasn't at Kirby. It was at comparing him to the Church collection.

There is zero dispute over the Church books being the single greatest comic pedigree find.

There's a lot of dispute over Kirby being the single most important comic book artist. He has his place in history, but his impact isn't as deep as the boot lickers make it out to be.

Being a DC guy I grew up not liking Kirby's comic work. As I got older I understood more about what he was doing, and have grown to appreciate his style. But there's one thing I think is indisputable. Kirby co-created nearly the entire Marvel universe. Ditko may have co-created Spider-Man, but Kirby has a much larger list of heroes he and Stan dreamed up - The Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Daredevil and god knows what else. Based on just the sheer contribution to the genre the characters he co-created, I think he wins.

Being a DC guy I grew up not liking Kirby's comic work. As I got older I understood more about what he was doing, and have grown to appreciate his style. But there's one thing I think is indisputable. Kirby co-created nearly the entire Marvel universe. Ditko may have co-created Spider-Man, but Kirby has a much larger list of heroes he and Stan dreamed up - The Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Daredevil and god knows what else. Based on just the sheer contribution to the genre the characters he co-created, I think he wins.

While I agree with you and am a Marvel zombie that he was half of the Marvel universe, there was so much going on in comics before the Marvel universe ever came to be (over 25 years worth going on) that it's difficult to measure how much was Kirby's by the time 1960 rolled around and how much of Eisner's, Kane's, Raymond's stuff (etc) that Kirby was building on.

That's why it would be interesting to try to quantify things and see what sort of results we get.

All this is good but what's perplexing to me is who would win in a fight between Muhammad Ali and Bruce Lee. :facepalm:

We know the answer to that

Chuck Norris.

zf508a7348.jpg

While I agree with you and am a Marvel zombie that he was half of the Marvel universe, there was so much going on in comics before the Marvel universe ever came to be (over 25 years worth going on) that it's difficult to measure how much was Kirby's by the time 1960 rolled around and how much of Eisner's, Kane's, Raymond's stuff (etc) that Kirby was building on.

That's why it would be interesting to try to quantify things and see what sort of results we get.

True, lots came before him, and the foundation was in place. However, the genre was dying, and he and his peers at DC revived the genre, but he and Stan really reinvented it. I think the genre as it is today, owes a lot to the guys at Marvel for changing the dynamics of comics. As much as I love sic-fi, that's primarily what DC stories were based on, whereas Marvel super-heros dealt with social issues and challenges, which spurred a new generation of older fans. Granted, I think DC held it's own, but even a die-hard DC guy like me recognizes that I have Marvel to thank for the health of the genre, at least during the period when Kirby worked for them.

.....Roy?

I'll do it if the OP doesn't want to.

(shrug)

Then it's yours... lol

Seriously, I was waiting to get a list together and simply do a pole from there but it seems as if this has turned a bit from where I thought it would go.

So... :shrug:

.....Roy?

I'll do it if the OP doesn't want to.

(shrug)

Then it's yours... lol

Seriously, I was waiting to get a list together and simply do a pole from there but it seems as if this has turned a bit from where I thought it would go.

So... :shrug:

So far only 2 people are interested.

Would you guys be interested in setting up some kind of poll to try and determine, through public opinion who the most important comic book artist is?

While a strip artist, Noel Sickles was a major influence on his friend Milton Caniff, and in turn dozens of great comic artists to this very day.

While not much of an influence on mainstream American artists, Herge is another comic illustrator whose impact is still being felt.