• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The woes of a purple label

11 posts in this topic

Not a high dollar book but I always look for copies this as it was the last one I needed to finish my Wonder Comics run and I really like the cover. So now I have a few copies with my highest being 5.5 and still wouldn't mind upgrading.

I noticed it during the last CL auction where it sold for $231. I stayed away because of the trimming.

Wonder Comics #9 CL

I then noticed the Ebay listing for the same book cracked from the PLOD slab and didn't want to post until it ended as the seller did declare the trimming in the description so nothing shady other than not noting it had been in a restored 9.4 slab. It closed on at $306 so with fees not a huge flip but not bad percentage-wise.

Wonder Comics #9 Ebay

Could be auction timing, Ebay greater exposure, etc. but I assume the stigma of the PLOD plays a huge role.

i think seeing the purple label explain the trimming keeps buyers away.having it unslabbed and Ebay exposure helped boost that sale.Purple labels in its self are not all that bad for one can pick up some good deals with some minor work done.

I then noticed the Ebay listing for the same book cracked from the PLOD slab and didn't want to post until it ended as the seller did declare the trimming in the description so nothing shady other than not noting it had been in a restored 9.4 slab. It closed on at $306 so with fees not a huge flip but not bad percentage-wise.

Wonder Comics #9 Ebay

Well, yes and no... "This comic looks like a NM 9.4 at least, maybe NM+ 9.6."

Not a high dollar book but I always look for copies this as it was the last one I needed to finish my Wonder Comics run and I really like the cover. So now I have a few copies with my highest being 5.5 and still wouldn't mind upgrading.

I noticed it during the last CL auction where it sold for $231. I stayed away because of the trimming.

Wonder Comics #9 CL

Wonder Comics #9 Ebay

Could be auction timing, Ebay greater exposure, etc. but I assume the stigma of the PLOD plays a huge role.

This seller is a known scam artist that cracks out purple labels and sells them on eBay.

They also sell under all_things_comics and several other eBay names.

Wonder Comics #9 CL

Wonder Comics #9 Ebay

This seller is a known scam artist that cracks out purple labels and sells them on eBay.

They also sell under all_things_comics and several other eBay names.

Yes our buddy Bihoubaby reincarnated

Ah, so that's him now. I don't keep up as I should.

I recognized the modus operandi as soon as I saw the listing and then realized that they are also from Montrose, CA.

Bunch of scamming jerk offs.

Thanks Roy. If I would have known, I wouldn't have been hesitant and would have shared while the auction was in progress. It took me by surprise that he would mention the trimming and though as mentioned above he nudged the grade possibility, it just felt wrong that it was cracked and not disclosed.

Thanks Roy. If I would have known, I wouldn't have been hesitant and would shared while the auction was in progress. It took me by surprise that he would mention the trimming and though as mentioned above he nudged the grade possibility, it just felt wrong that it was cracked and not disclosed.

I actually don't even mind if someone disagrees with the grade if it was previously graded but these guys do it as a bad habit and not as a matter of honest opinion.

I think someone called the local cops on them a while back and that's why they changed names.