• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Outbid at Heritag live auctions?

33 posts in this topic

How often do people get out bid at the live auction?

Never bid with heritage before but they have something I like.

Would like to hear from someone who has a little more experience.

At least on the higher-end lots that I tend to pursue at Heritage, the vast majority of the time additional bids come in during the live auction. It's not uncommon for me to be the high bidder on 6-8 lots at the end of the Internet session and then come away with winning 0-2 lots (without me putting in any additional bids), and even on those winning bids, chances are that the prices still got bid up further during the live session.

Occasionally I will win a lot at my high bid prevailing at the end of the Internet session, but those are the instances where the price was already run up very high during Internet bidding. If a price looks too cheap at the end of Internet bidding, you should be prepared to encounter additional bidding in the live session.

I watched for a few hours (while working, so I didn't follow every last lot closely) and nearly everything I paid attention to got bid up during the live bidding. Very few Internet bids ended up being winners. The one book I won, I did so through live bidding.

If a price looks too cheap at the end of Internet bidding, you should be prepared to encounter additional bidding in the live session.

This !

A lot of collectors/dealers stay around for the entire event and scoop up underpriced or underperforming lots for resale just before the buzzer.

Thanks for all the responses. I have never bid with them before, and wasn't sure how active the live auctions were.

I am currently winning my auction after internet bidding closed, but I don't think I will survive the live auction.

Some real steals in this auction. I was busy most of the day yesterday, otherwise I'd have bid on a ton of stuff that went cheap.

Given that you`re a dealer, it seems bizarre to me that you`d be doing something else on a Heritage auction day. Isn`t that like a US tax accountant out running errands on April 15?

Some real steals in this auction. I was busy most of the day yesterday, otherwise I'd have bid on a ton of stuff that went cheap.

Alas no so in the original art section, there was a buzzing thread over at the OA section of the boards during the live event and the general feeling was that the craziness of the super high prices is just continuing. Heritage Live OA thread

Alas no so in the original art section, there was a buzzing thread over at the OA section of the boards during the live event and the general feeling was that the craziness of the super high prices is just continuing. Heritage Live OA thread

The general feel seems to be that comics have played out, and the fast money has moved into OA, a trend which has been fed by a lot of OA pieces coming on the market that play well to an audience that grew up collecting in the late 80s and early 90s.

The general feel seems to be that comics have played out, and the fast money has moved into OA, a trend which has been fed by a lot of OA pieces coming on the market that play well to an audience that grew up collecting in the late 80s and early 90s.

hm

I was also shocked by the prices. There was stuff that it's hard to believe anybody collects that went for serious money.

I was also shocked by the prices. There was stuff that it's hard to believe anybody collects that went for serious money.

They are the new CGC 9.8

:)