• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

This book was pressed. Recessed staples. 9.8

Not Silver Age. Not Marvel. Discuss.

- What did it look like before pressing?

- In my opinion, it shouldn't merit a 9.8

Most wouldn't. It was from the press, which I took directly from the presser and submitted to CGC.

So in line with what you're saying, I have to wonder, is CGC going to see recessed staples across the entire range of comics, as NOT a defect, simply because pressing can cause it? Wouldn't that be the safe business model?

Obviously it raises some questions but...

Can you imagine them pressing a book, recessing the staples, and then downgrading for it? Disastrous.

You still do not know what happened to the book from the time it left your hands to the time it was placed within the CGC holder. It would have gone through multiple hands, multiple procedures and travelled many miles.

Not saying it didn't happen during pressing (I have had damage happen during a pressing job to books - comics are fragile and personally, if I was a presser I'd never guarantee that something can't happen) but it isn't conclusive unless you were the one that put the book in the press and removed it.

Yeah, Chuck you big liar. You have no idea. Haven't you heard of staple fairies? They bang on comic staples with their tiny fairy tinker hammers until they become recessed. Plus it might be that Paul Litch rams his groin into staples until they recess. Unless you have seen him not do this, you can't be certain that it isn't Litch hump recess syndrome.

Bump for awesomeness. lol

Bumped because I'm easy going and don't mind being the butt of Sean's jokes.

And because I'm right.

This book was pressed. Recessed staples. 9.8

Not Silver Age. Not Marvel. Discuss.

- What did it look like before pressing?

- In my opinion, it shouldn't merit a 9.8

Most wouldn't. It was from the press, which I took directly from the presser and submitted to CGC.

So in line with what you're saying, I have to wonder, is CGC going to see recessed staples across the entire range of comics, as NOT a defect, simply because pressing can cause it? Wouldn't that be the safe business model?

Obviously it raises some questions but...

Can you imagine them pressing a book, recessing the staples, and then downgrading for it? Disastrous.

You still do not know what happened to the book from the time it left your hands to the time it was placed within the CGC holder. It would have gone through multiple hands, multiple procedures and travelled many miles.

Not saying it didn't happen during pressing (I have had damage happen during a pressing job to books - comics are fragile and personally, if I was a presser I'd never guarantee that something can't happen) but it isn't conclusive unless you were the one that put the book in the press and removed it.

Yeah, Chuck you big liar. You have no idea. Haven't you heard of staple fairies? They bang on comic staples with their tiny fairy tinker hammers until they become recessed. Plus it might be that Paul Litch rams his groin into staples until they recess. Unless you have seen him not do this, you can't be certain that it isn't Litch hump recess syndrome.

Bump for awesomeness. lol

Bumped because I'm easy going and don't mind being the butt of Sean's jokes.

And because I'm right.

Another epiphany. :facepalm:

Good job on contributing something you think is an original thought, but undeniably is not. Then, you follow it up with nonsense that you think is supportive of your assertion.

Keep laughing. It doesn't bother me in the least as I give your posts as much credibility as everyone else does.

Well if you look at my avatar,and name I would have thought you know I am here for fun,and don`t take myself seriously.

I think this place as Cheers.

We come here to discuss comics,and have a laugh.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On the whole, the other thing this abomination of a move by CGC is going to do is ensure there will be no more "undergraded" slabs. When CGC 1st started, there were plenty of undergraded and overgraded books. Of course no one is going to resub a gift grade book, so the overgraded books will remain.

Converserly, as undergraded books are identified and flip hands and work their way through the ringer(s) (and make no mistake, there are books out there that have been pressed, re-pressed, and post-re-pressed as the new "owners/investors" have no history that a book has already been pressed and re-pressed), the % of overgraded CGC books will increase as each book is maxed out. That, and the loosening of CGC's standards over the last few years, has resulted in an overall population of CGC graded books that lean towards the low end of the grade spectrum.

So, while the impending census explosion will make a given 9.4 or 9.6 cheaper due to the institutionalized pressing, those 9.4's and 9.6's are more like yesterday's 9.2's and 9.4's. Sucks... :cry:

Well said. (worship)

This Matt Nelson goes to Sarasota thread & the various Star Wars threads have brought new life to CG.

I was going to say the only thing better than Star Wars Nerd rage is CGC Conspiracy Nerd Rage. :cloud9:

We needed it. CG has been pretty boring lately. I like it when it's "the place to be". I've been spending too much time in the WC.

Being active and knowledgeable in all aspects in the antiques and collectibles fields

it is my exposure to the full view of the antiques and collectibles market that allows me to have this view.

Mint … I find some of the views in your posts interesting however you tend to make these comments in nearly every post you make. I’m a noob here on the forums and in the little time I’ve spent here it’s been well established by you that you collect other things (and allegedly very knowledgeable) other than comics … so do I and probably many others but do you feel it necessary to state this repetitively ?

Maybe just put these comments in your sig if it’s that relevant to every topic you post about (shrug)

I’m not trying to be disparaging at all … just pointing out something you may be overlooking when you post.

Here is a thought,and not a statement.

Does anybody see this as a last gasp hail mary by CGC?

They got competition with digital comics exploding in sales on one side,and then they got the big players now moving into OA.

It seems getting that CGC 9.6 pressed into CGC 9.8 doesn`t seem that special anymore.

Look at all the interest this has created on the board.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

It's Sunday. Why is this thread not at one hundred pages yet?

(shrug)

'Cuz it's boring.

Oh my heavens are you right. (thumbs u

For me it's only been boring in a few places where individuals should have PM'd their insults to one another and spared the rest of us. And considering 60+ pages, even that hasn't happened often.

Otherwise, I found the discussion interesting and informative. My opinion in reading all posted up here has even shifted some.

If one accepts as the truth that the graders and restoration checkers do not know whose books they are looking at - including if they came from the "pressing division", then the inherent conflict of interest is not an issue. If we don't accept that as the truth, we should be just as concerned about Heritage selling CGC graded comics.

There is at a minimum a hint of impropriety. One could argue that it would be best to avoid such. But it wouldn't be good business for CGC from a $$$ standpoint. Because if you are inclined to get your books cleaned and pressed before sending them to CGC, this service should be convenient. I suppose we'll find out in time the pricing structure. I'm inclined to think this move will bring with it more overhead. If it does - and since submitters could save some money on postage - they may well try to bump the prices up some.

A good portion of this thread just rehashes the pressing Vs not pressing debate. Which has been discussed countless times before. At some point one just has to accept your opinion is on the losing side. I don't think the Silver Age starts with Showcase 4. Occaionally it makes an interesting discussion. But I lost that debate long ago.

Ultimately, I wish CGC hadn't brought pressing services in house, but after reading all that has been discussed it doesn't seem the "big deal" it seemed at first.

Being active and knowledgeable in all aspects in the antiques and collectibles fields

it is my exposure to the full view of the antiques and collectibles market that allows me to have this view.

Mint … I find some of the views in your posts interesting however you tend to make these comments in nearly every post you make. I’m a noob here on the forums and in the little time I’ve spent here it’s been well established by you that you collect other things (and allegedly very knowledgeable) other than comics … so do I and probably many others but do you feel it necessary to state this repetitively ?

Maybe just put these comments in your sig if it’s that relevant to every topic you post about (shrug)

I’m not trying to be disparaging at all … just pointing out something you may be overlooking when you post.

I appreciate your comment. You are aware I already take a lot of criticism for what is already stated in my signature line now? Ironically, I never once attempted to post a link to the stated article in my signature line (I don't even know if that is allowed, per forum rules; regardless). I also do not think that my signature line is that controversial at present time; or ever was.

You bring up a great point. However, even now when I am involved in numerous discussion fellow borad members ask if they are supposed to know what I have posted about in other 'threads.' I will agree that one cannot know or possibly remember everything about what a certain member has posted about. That being said, there are underlying principles that every member here does express or 'stand for' regularly. These are generally known because they become a constant 'theme' throughtout certain individual's posts.

Again, and we seem to be visiting this topic a lot in a thread that is NOT about me; I do not mean to offend anyone in any post I make. Ironically, I really wish that the people who criticize my posts would take the time to criticize the few forum members who choose to resort to foul language and name calling when discussing any matter of interest with me that they disagree with. It is during these times that most of these members remain the most silent of all. I find this greatly disturbing (not to mention quite ironic).

In conclusion, my only discord has been that some individuals fail to see that when you look at some of these issues via the perspective of the WHOLE antiques and collecibles market; you will understand that number one, other collecting fields have and are dealing with MUCH worse issues at present time. Number two, 'pressing' is NOT as severe as what is being done in areas of great interest like the rare book collecting field, the art collecting field, and the overall auction circuit. Finally, as shown by the respectful business relationship of NCS and NGC; this has already been done and implemented quite nicely (in the coin collecting field); by the parent company of CGC; The Certified Collectibles Group.

Therefore, and forgive me if I offend, I fail to see the issue here. I think a 'wait and see' attitude is a much better prognosis then a 'dump and sell' attitude that certain individuals may adopt. This is especially true given the fact that numerous individuals have attempted to argue with me over the years that comic books are an 'excellent investment.'

Again, just my opinion.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

This Matt Nelson goes to Sarasota thread & the various Star Wars threads have brought new life to CG.

I was going to say the only thing better than Star Wars Nerd rage is CGC Conspiracy Nerd Rage. :cloud9:

We needed it. CG has been pretty boring lately. I like it when it's "the place to be". I've been spending too much time in the WC.

I love this old school CG thread. It's complete with posts so long & filled with so much jargon that I'd never even begin to read them.

I scroll right past thousands & thousands of words, skimming for craziness & find it with ease.

Love it.

The MCMiles vs namisgr throwdown was golden.

:popcorn:

The MCMiles vs namisgr throwdown was golden.

:popcorn:

What, no love for my mint smackdown? :sorry:

What if I add, "Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." :)

Here is a thought,and not a statement.

Does anybody see this as a last gasp hail mary by CGC?

They got competition with digital comics exploding in sales on one side,and then they got the big players now moving into OA.

It seems getting that CGC 9.6 pressed into CGC 9.8 doesn`t seem that special anymore.

Look at all the interest this has created on the board.

CGC will slab more books this year than they ever have. Business is in no way down.

No Hail Mary needed.