• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

Worldwide I'd bet that 75% or better of comic collectors aren't interested in graded books at all.

I continue to be surprised at the low percentage of graded books at most smallish to mid-sized shows. The thousands of slabs that are for sale on ebay any given week always give me the impression that the market for slabs is far larger. But I still routinely hear dealers explaining to prospective buyers terms like CGC, slabbing, resto checks, etc.

So yeah, there is a big percentage of the hobby that has never got on the carousel.

Look at the cost of getting a Bronze Age or earlier graded - $25 give or take after discount, including sh/ins, etc. I suspect the vast majority of books at most shows are worth $50 or less, so slabbing these books doesn't make financial sense. As such, I imagine the vast majority of books in this hobby are not affected by CGC, slabbing, or pressing. Likewise, I suspect the vast majority of money made by dealers and collectors in this hobby is affected by CGC, slabbing, pressing, and this wonderful (d)evolution in our hobby. Follow the $$!

Actually, I will get into this type of discussion several times of years with collectors who want to know why I don't have more of my inventory graded. If you have seen what I carry, most of my raw SA stuff (probably 90%) is in the 8.0 to 9.4 range. People ask why I don't get more of that stuff graded.

It is simple math. If you take a $100.00 book, for which you (hopefully) paid $50. By the time you press it, grade it, then you are into the book for $80. Right there tells you it leaves little profit. Then, if you figure a 6 month grading time, and the buyer asking for a discount, it is pretty evident it doesn't make any sense.

Worldwide I'd bet that 75% or better of comic collectors aren't interested in graded books at all.

I continue to be surprised at the low percentage of graded books at most smallish to mid-sized shows. The thousands of slabs that are for sale on ebay any given week always give me the impression that the market for slabs is far larger. But I still routinely hear dealers explaining to prospective buyers terms like CGC, slabbing, resto checks, etc.

So yeah, there is a big percentage of the hobby that has never got on the carousel.

Look at the cost of getting a Bronze Age or earlier graded - $25 give or take after discount, including sh/ins, etc. I suspect the vast majority of books at most shows are worth $50 or less, so slabbing these books doesn't make financial sense. As such, I imagine the vast majority of books in this hobby are not affected by CGC, slabbing, or pressing. Likewise, I suspect the vast majority of money made by dealers and collectors in this hobby is affected by CGC, slabbing, pressing, and this wonderful (d)evolution in our hobby. Follow the $$!

Actually, I will get into this type of discussion several times of years with collectors who want to know why I don't have more of my inventory graded. If you have seen what I carry, most of my raw SA stuff (probably 90%) is in the 8.0 to 9.4 range. People ask why I don't get more of that stuff graded.

It is simple math. If you take a $100.00 book, for which you (hopefully) paid $50. By the time you press it, grade it, then you are into the book for $80. Right there tells you it leaves little profit. Then, if you figure a 6 month grading time, and the buyer asking for a discount, it is pretty evident it doesn't make any sense.

For the majority of your raw SA stock, you pay 50% of what you think you can get for a comic? I would have thought that would be a lot lower.

Main take away; none of my posts are ever about being 'right or wrong.' It is always about the sharing of knowledge

lol Are you saying this with a straight face? You're the guy who disparaged comics as not even being in the realm of true collectibles, and then you wouldn't even post the list that comics didn't make. Do you have any self-awareness?

I said that comics are not 'true collectibles' yet I spend thousands on each one and have been collecting since 2008?

Wow, since 2008? Tell me about the old days grandpa...

Really? I believe you are referring to a list I did post; albeit NOT in the same hour the forum requested it. If you would recall that thread and 'bump' it you will see that post is credited as being posted by me at a much earlier date.

Yes, I am aware that you had posted it earlier. It still doesn't change the fact that you refused to post the list in the subsequent thread(s), which would've taken 2 seconds. Your attitude betrayed your disdain for the posters who were asking (and some were asking nicely). I thought it was all about the sharing of knowledge? This is just one example of why your statement above is bulle.

Again, may I ask your point?

You're a hypocrite?

I don't know how many books you have had pressed, but as has often been said, you can't get a little bit pregnant.

Strange analogy.

There are many collectors uneasy with the prevalence of pressing or other aspects of its impact on the hobby who are unwilling to have all their candidates pressed, or in some cases like mine any more than a few.

And you do know how many books I've had pressed.

Main take away; none of my posts are ever about being 'right or wrong.' It is always about the sharing of knowledge

lol Are you saying this with a straight face? You're the guy who disparaged comics as not even being in the realm of true collectibles, and then you wouldn't even post the list that comics didn't make. Do you have any self-awareness?

I said that comics are not 'true collectibles' yet I spend thousands on each one and have been collecting since 2008?

Really? I believe you are referring to a list I did post; albeit NOT in the same hour the forum requested it. If you would recall that thread and 'bump' it you will see that post is credited as being posted by me at a much earlier date.

Yes, I am aware that you had posted it earlier. It still doesn't change the fact that you refused to post the list in the subsequent thread(s), which would've taken 2 seconds. Your attitude betrayed your disdain for the posters who were asking (and some were asking nicely). I thought it was all about the sharing of knowledge? This is just one example of why your statement above is bulle.

You're a hypocrite?

Perhaps you forget the person who started 'using foul langauage' and the fact that I was a dealer at a major antique convention that day. I do have a life outside the forums.

This isn't Burger King; you can't have it YOUR way. I want the top ten list now. Sorry, I am busy right now!

Look at the cost of getting a Bronze Age or earlier graded - $25 give or take after discount, including sh/ins, etc. I suspect the vast majority of books at most shows are worth $50 or less, so slabbing these books doesn't make financial sense. As such, I imagine the vast majority of books in this hobby are not affected by CGC, slabbing, or pressing. Likewise, I suspect the vast majority of money made by dealers and investors in this hobby is affected by CGC, slabbing, pressing, and this wonderful (d)evolution in our hobby. Follow the $$!

You've brought up another point here. Not everyone is in it for the money. Sometimes people get books graded because it's something they just want a graded copy of in their collection. I collect foreign editions, most of which aren't very expensive, and in addition to that I'm a SS collector. I've always been into autographs and used to go to cons to get books signed long before CGC ever existed. I drifted into foreign comics because, as a whole, US editions are pretty much readily available. You can get on ebay just about anytime you want and find a copy of whatever you might be looking to buy. With foreign editions it's nowhere near that simple. It can take months and in some cases years to track down a copy of a book you want. So many comic collectors out there have forgotten how much fun you can get from having to actually spend time and effort hunting for a book. The thrill of the chase is what keeps the hobby fun for me. Add to that having a book that you've put that much time into tracking down signed and slabbed for the sole purpose of authentication of the signature creates an extremely scarce if not, in most cases, unique addition to one's collection. Do I care if I ever recover the money I put into my books? Nope. I'm perfectly satisfied knowing that I've assembled a collection that would be difficult at best and probably impossible to duplicate.

You're a hypocrite?

Perhaps you forget the person who started 'using foul langauage' and the fact that I was a dealer at a major antique convention that day. I do have a life outside the forums.

This isn't Burger King; you can't have it YOUR way. I want the top ten list now. Sorry, I am busy right now!

Backpedal. If you had time to post in those threads, you had time to post the list. It would have taken you literally 10 seconds to do so.

But I'm beating a dead horse here... which are more collectible than comics damnit!!!

Edited by Lunchbox

Here is a thought,and not a statement.

Does anybody see this as a last gasp hail mary by CGC?

They got competition with digital comics exploding in sales on one side,and then they got the big players now moving into OA.

It seems getting that CGC 9.6 pressed into CGC 9.8 doesn`t seem that special anymore.

Look at all the interest this has created on the board.

CGC will slab more books this year than they ever have. Business is in no way down.

No Hail Mary needed.

You have to admit a 1966 and up cgc 9.8 really isn`t that hard or expensive to get anymore.

An example.

Somebody(dealer) does all that work(pressing and slabbing),but someone(collector) can just go on Ebay or another site, and get that 9.8 cheaper than they would pay the dealer or presser themselves.

The point I am trying to make there really isn`t that much a money incentive now to even want your 9.6 pressed up to 9.8. 3 to 5 years ago pressing and resubs was bank. It is not so anymore for most comics.

Those days are past,and it looks like the big players are moving into OA.

Just my opinion.

A) none of this has anything to do with CGC and a 'Hail Mary' business move. Business is booming for them.

B) CGC could care less what you sell your finished slab for. They are in the business of slabbing books. What anyone does with it after that isn't their concern.

C) Where you get the notion that books from 1966 on up in 9.8 are 'not expensive', is beyond me.

D) Who are these big players you're talking about who've moved to OA? Could you name one or two of them?

I will name three.

ComicConnect

Heritage Auctions

ComicLink

They would get much more excited about OA art offered for them for sale,then the dealer who offers up a bronze to copper 9.6 pressed up to a 9.8

Go check out what all the buzz has been about lately on

ComicConnect

Heritage Auctions

ComicLink

It`s been about

OA

and not the common pressed 9.6 to 9.8 slab.

CGC must realize this,and this move with Matt may have something to do with the waning interest of pressed books. Seems like they are trying to make a jumpstart.

Just my opinion.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

You're a hypocrite?

Backpedal.

First you claim I do not consider comic books true collectibles. Ask any dealer here who has done business with me, they would disagree with you. Why would I be on a comic book forum if I did not agree on the product? You may want to reread my posts. There is a difference between viewing an item as a collectible and investment. You may want to review exactly what I wrote.

Number two, you then state that I refused to post a 'list.' I proved you wrong. You're comeback is 'wow, I can't belive you actually searched the fourm that fast.'

Anything else? Things are not looking up for you right now. Here is something unique. Is this a message? I wonder what it says?

'Lunchbox is not worthy of your time, mint. Put him on ignore and be done with it. This is off-topic.'

Okay...

SNIPED

You've brought up another point here. Not everyone is in it for the money. Sometimes people get books graded because it's something they just want a graded copy of in their collection. I collect foreign editions, most of which aren't very expensive, and in addition to that I'm a SS collector. I've always been into autographs and used to go to cons to get books signed long before CGC ever existed. I drifted into foreign comics because, as a whole, US editions are pretty much readily available. You can get on ebay just about anytime you want and find a copy of whatever you might be looking to buy. With foreign editions it's nowhere near that simple. It can take months and in some cases years to track down a copy of a book you want. So many comic collectors out there have forgotten how much fun you can get from having to actually spend time and effort hunting for a book. The thrill of the chase is what keeps the hobby fun for me. Add to that having a book that you've put that much time into tracking down signed and slabbed for the sole purpose of authentication of the signature creates an extremely scarce if not, in most cases, unique addition to one's collection. Do I care if I ever recover the money I put into my books? Nope. I'm perfectly satisfied knowing that I've assembled a collection that would be difficult at best and probably impossible to duplicate.

THIS THIS THIS :)

Edited by gyro-1

They got competition with digital comics exploding in sales on one side,and then they got the big players now moving into OA.

It seems getting that CGC 9.6 pressed into CGC 9.8 doesn`t seem that special anymore.

CGC will slab more books this year than they ever have. Business is in no way down.

No Hail Mary needed.

You have to admit a 1966 and up cgc 9.8 really isn`t that hard or expensive to get anymore.

An example.

Somebody(dealer) does all that work(pressing and slabbing),but someone(collector) can just go on Ebay or another site, and get that 9.8 cheaper than they would pay the dealer or presser themselves.

The point I am trying to make there really isn`t that much a money incentive now to even want your 9.6 pressed up to 9.8. 3 to 5 years ago pressing and resubs was bank. It is not so anymore for most comics.

Just my opinion.

A) none of this has anything to do with CGC and a 'Hail Mary' business move. Business is booming for them.

B) CGC could care less what you sell your finished slab for. They are in the business of slabbing books. What anyone does with it after that isn't their concern.

C) Where you get the notion that books from 1966 on up in 9.8 are 'not expensive', is beyond me.

D) Who are these big players you're talking about who've moved to OA? Could you name one or two of them?

I will name three.

ComicConnect

Heritage Auctions

ComicLink

They would get much more excited about OA art offered for them for sale,then the dealer who offers up a bronze to copper 9.6 pressed up to a 9.8

ComicConnect

Heritage Auctions

ComicLink

It`s been about

OA

CGC must realize this,and this move with Matt may have something to do with the waning interest of pressed books. Seems like they are trying to make a jumpstart.

Just my opinion.

A) none of this has anything to do with CGC and a 'Hail Mary' business move or a 'jumpstart'. Business is booming for them.

D) 'Waning interest in pressed books?' What planet are you from? There's more pressing going on now than ever before.

E) And what is this 'buzz' you speak of as a quantifiable thing? The Auction houses are just as excited about comics as they are OA. In fact, I get more e-mails from each of them about comic auctions than I do OA. So they aren't sharing the buzz.

No Hail Mary needed.

An example.

Just my opinion.

I will name three.

ComicConnect

Heritage Auctions

ComicLink

ComicConnect

Heritage Auctions

ComicLink

It`s been about

OA

Just my opinion.

A) none of this has anything to do with CGC and a 'Hail Mary' business move or a 'jumpstart'. Business is booming for them.

D) 'Waning interest in pressed books?' What planet are you from? There's more pressing going on now than ever before.

E) And what is this 'buzz' you speak of as a quantifiable thing? The Auction houses are just as excited about comics as they are OA. In fact, I get more e-mails from each of them about comic auctions than I do OA. So they aren't sharing the buzz.

I get the strong impression that CC lives in his own world where his thoughts are always reality (shrug)

No Hail Mary needed.

An example.

Just my opinion.

I will name three.

ComicConnect

Heritage Auctions

ComicLink

ComicConnect

Heritage Auctions

ComicLink

It`s been about

OA

Just my opinion.

I get the strong impression that CC lives in his own world where his thoughts are always reality (shrug)

You don`t know my style.

I ask questions conflictly so I can learn.

If I ask them boringly I will get the company robot response answer.

I mined a lot of information out of people this way. ;)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur