• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

Well, most threads bashing Matt Nelson have mysteriously disappeared. :o

Only because they were stupid.

Yes, multiple instances of solid 'shilling' evidence by a major hobby player is stupid.

Yes, stupid.

Your moral compass is wound too loosely.

compass' get wound?

u don't know bedrock very well, do you?

Yes, multiple instances of solid 'shilling' evidence by a major hobby player is stupid.

Yes, stupid.

compass' get wound?

I get the joke. But Richard is such a good guy.

Yes, stupid.

compass' get wound?

You don't know that post was a parody of Matt Nelson's classic "your moral compass is wound too tight" do you?

CGC has given me a bump before.. Mark H .. from a 9.8 to 9.9 on two books... and I am as average as you can get.. (granted..it was for Will to Power..but still)

I brought them in... told them I respectfully disagreed with their grade...asked them to point out the flaws..etc.. after looking at the book again..they agreed with me.. (two others did not get bumped.

I'm glad your books got the grade (you think) they deserved, but being able to talk to CGC face-to-face to lobby for a grade change (and succeeding!) is sort of scary. :eek:

I remember the AF 15 episode mentioned above, and recall a similar discussion concerning one of Doug's HG FF 1's, maybe even one of the pedigree copies? If you can do it, Doug can do it, the AF 15 guy can do it, then dagnabbit, so can I! But Matt or Kenny walking down the hallway and banging on the door yelling "Haspel, get out here!"? No, 'cause that would be a conflict of interest, right? lol

CGC has always allowed for reviews of individual books - I'm sure if you tried to do it with every single book you subbed, they'd politely tell you to *spoon* off after a while, but I've also had a reviewed book that was bumped up (and another one that was left as is). Sometimes CGC screws up on the grade :shrug:

Yes.

They are human and admit it. They do make mistakes. I've argued with them on grades that I thought they were incorrect and they wouldn't budge on the grade no matter how much I yelled (and I am an above average submitter). I've also had books reviewed and the grade did change - sometimes up and sometimes down.

While I am not 100% sure how the review process goes (we did discuss on here a year or two ago) I believe that the book is passed to several graders who have not seen the book and asked for their opinions - so it's not like you are talking to the head grader, convince him it should be a certain grade and they print out a new label.

Individually every news article and press release can be spun away. But it takes some serious mental-gymnastics not to see a potential conflict of interest when they're taken as a whole.

If you have money invested in a company but have no say in how that company is run (or in this case are not a grader or have influence on the grades), can you be accused of having a conflict of interest?

It's not mental gymnastics, it's simple business.

Wiki description of a Chinese Wall

In business, a Chinese wall is an information barrier implemented within a firm to separate and isolate persons who make investment decisions from persons who are privy to undisclosed material information which may influence those decisions. This is a way of avoiding conflict of interest problems.

In general, all firms are required to develop, implement, and enforce reasonable policies and procedures to safeguard insider information and to ensure that no improper trading occurs. Although specific procedures are not mandated, adopted practices must be formalized in writing and be appropriate and sufficient. Procedures should address the following areas: education of employees, containment of inside information, restriction of transactions, and trading surveillance.

I have no idea. Matt was already pretty good at reverse engineering CGC's grading model (as many people are who handle a lot of books). I'm assuming they might learn more about the system.

I'm more curious as to why a thread stops dead when I post in it.

:insane:

Reading this stuff gets to be a bit much. :facepalm:

Okay, conflict of interest...

Heritage/ Jim Halperin ever have troubles involving collectibles-grading shenanigans? The answer's not hard to find:.FTC and Forbes article

Is he an investor in a comic book grading company? Apparently.

Who was used for the Heritage/Parrino 2002 Nic Cage auction? google books link

When PCS was nixed, who stepped in as CGC's marketing partner, filling the void? Scoop

What became of CGC's head grader? Senior Consignment Director at Heritage

And who's moving to Sarasota? Wall Street Journal

Individually every news article and press release can be spun away. But it takes some serious mental-gymnastics not to see a potential conflict of interest when they're taken as a whole.

Fantastic post!

I like the part about halperin having to pay back 100k in scammed money at the age of 13. lol Hobbies are sweet.

And that's just the obvious surface realities. Not even getting into ewert, disbarred lawyers, pedigree drops, manufactured gold, slow revelations, etc., ad nauseum.

This far in, people either know what they're getting, refuse to know, or are new to the playing field.

Is it presumed that Classics won't "learn anything new" when they get a peek at CGC's secret grading criteria?

(shrug)

I have no idea. Matt was already pretty good at reverse engineering CGC's grading model (as many people are who handle a lot of books). I'm assuming they might learn more about the system.

I'm more curious as to why a thread stops dead when I post in it.

:insane:

Reading this stuff gets to be a bit much. :facepalm:

Okay, conflict of interest...

Heritage/ Jim Halperin ever have troubles involving collectibles-grading shenanigans? The answer's not hard to find:.FTC and Forbes article

Is he an investor in a comic book grading company? Apparently.

Who was used for the Heritage/Parrino 2002 Nic Cage auction? google books link

When PCS was nixed, who stepped in as CGC's marketing partner, filling the void? Scoop

And who's moving to Sarasota? Wall Street Journal

Fantastic post!

+1. Lots of interesting info linked in one spot. Thanks!

They are human and admit it

That's always good.

That's a stretch for some people.

I prefer to lead with the premise that I'm a screw up. It's easier to impress and satisfy people that way.

That's always good.

I prefer to lead with the premise that I'm a screw up. It's easier to impress and satisfy people that way.

Managing expectations. It's the way to roll.

(thumbs u

That's always good.

(thumbs u

We should integrate this theme into every thread on the first page of CG,

That's always good.

(thumbs u

We should integrate this theme into every thread on the first page of CG,

I'm always eager to please.

"CGC's Head Grader"??? You forgot Steve Borock's name or are you shooting for a National Enquirer vibe?

My question to you, Davenport, is: What did "CGC's Head Grader" do that compromised CGC or Heritage or created a "conflict of interest?" Please detail what you know, since you brought this up under the "conflict of interest" umbrella..

I first met Steve in 1999 at a Boston Primate Productions show put on by Dave Cummings. Smallish but the best comic show I was ever at, and I went to all of them until I moved to CA.

Steve was there as a CGC Ambassador, canvassing dealers for submissions, explaining the goals of CGC etc. When I met him the first time I was selling a restored GA book of some value. He happened to be at the same booth I was and, from about three feet away he said "Who worked on the spine?"

I glared at him and pulled from the book the worksheet provided by Susan Ciccone outlining the resto done. I said to him (paraphrasing) "You could have given me a chance to show this."

We both ended up laughing and talking. We spent some time at the show and he explained CGC to me. I told him I could see this as a viable venue for the sale of books but I fully expected collectors to remove them form the slab. We went back and forth, talking about resto, grading issues etc.

Steve is a good friend and we see each other whenever he is in the area. It would be nice to know what you know.

Thanks!