• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Certified Collectibles Group (CCG) Acquires Classics Incorporated
3 3

1,496 posts in this topic

Anyone care to sum up the last 123 pages,as it seems that most of it has been done to death so many,many times before.

It is what it is.

Nothings going to change because we whine about it.

Keep Calm and carry on slabbing.

Fixed that for ya! :grin:

I've changed my mind about two things after this thread experience.

I no longer perceive a conflict of interest in this CI acquisition.

I now believe that pressing is a profitable way to improve the grade & appearance of comics through a process that sorta damages them but not really.

Oh wait, I've always thought that way about the second point.

I no longer perceive a conflict of interest in this CI acquisition.

Really?

No.

But does it matter?

Yes. What you post matters.

(shrug)

I got one new thing out of this thread:

The theory that pressing can recess staples. MCMiles doesn't believe that's so, so neither do I.

Oh, I believe people (especially unqualified people) can do all kinds of things to damage a book with a press, including push the cover back to where it looks like the staple was recessed or sink off set staples into the book. I don't believe it happens as often as some would like everyone to believe, and I believe the examples used are examples of books manufactured with recessed staples.

I definitely don't believe CGC has adjusted their grading to allow for defects that may have been caused by pressing.

Oh, I believe people (especially unqualified people) can do all kinds of things to damage a book with a press, including push the cover back to where it looks like the staple was recessed or sink off set staples into the book. I don't believe it happens as often as some would like everyone to believe, and I believe the examples used are examples of books manufactured with recessed staples.

I don't get this either. (shrug)

Can someone explain the physics of how pressing would cause properly placed (not offset) staples to be driven into the book? How will a press create a force from the side to push a staple through the spine into the book?

I find the Litch groin bump more plausible.

Can someone explain the physics of how pressing would cause properly placed (not offset) staples to be driven into the book? How will a press create a force from the side to push a staple through the spine into the book?

The theory goes that if a cover has some bounce to it (large radius curve at the spine) and is pressed down onto the interior the spine might actually move back relative to the interior pages.

Personally, I've never seen it but I suppose it is possible.

The theory goes that if a cover has some bounce to it (large radius curve at the spine) and is pressed down onto the interior the spine might actually move back relative to the interior pages.

hm

Take any round ball. Large radius. Small radius. Soft. Hard.

Now, press down on it. WHEN are you EVER going to see the sides bow inward? The force put on the top/bottom of the rounded object cause a bowing effect of the sides, and there is nothing to stop the staple from moving with it, as far as I can theorize. 2c

Personally, I've never seen it but I suppose it is possible.

Never seen it either, and if the person doing the work is doing things correctly it should be virtually impossible. The mechanics of how the press closes actually works to prevent that from happening if the work is being done correctly.

hm

Take any round ball. Large radius. Small radius. Soft. Hard.

Now, press down on it. WHEN are you EVER going to see the sides bow inward? The force put on the top/bottom of the rounded object cause a bowing effect of the sides, and there is nothing to stop the staple from moving with it, as far as I can theorize. 2c

The sides bow outward. The interior pages are attached to the spine. The theory goes that if the interior pages don't move towards the left as the spine moves leftward (meaning the interior pages are stationary while the spine bows outward) you get your staple pull.