• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NC COMICON '12 - A Journey to Tobacco Road!!!

23 posts in this topic

Well it finally had to happen, Durham, NC got it first real Con in a real convention hall and the crowd responded to the tune of 4,500 people (almost triple of last year)!!!!!

Here is the Durham Convention Center/ Marriott

132056.jpg

Here is the crazy line of hundreds waiting to get in due to the fire code

(needless to say the extra large ball room will be in order next year)

132175.jpg

Set up Sat Morning...

132163.jpg

132164.jpg

132165.jpg

The Hell with the Cameron Krazies, how about these Costume Krazies!

132166.jpg

132169.jpg

132170.jpg

132168.jpg

132172.jpg

132173.jpg

132174.jpg

132176.jpg

The Boards Dinner was solid in the American Tobacco District at the Cuban Revolution!

132162.jpg

Day 2 - Yours truly working the books!

132167.jpg

BATMAN??? HELL YEAH!

132161.jpg

I can say honestly that I have no more arse (I worked it off thank you) at this crazy event...

As an overview I thought this was the set-up for more to come.

The crowd was there, but the there weren't that many comic dealers here (as a seller you don't complain about that, but a buyer can get the blues though)

The crowd focus seemed to be more on mid grade, reader, and dollar books.

So I am going to have to work on getting more GA, SA, BA prime collectors

to this show, If I want to move more of my wall books.

But over all I did well. And it doesn't really matter because either way I honestly love this work and had a blast! I can't wait until next year!

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Totally blown away by how successful this show turned out, 'grats to the organizers and promoters! :applause:

Wish I could've made it, big weekend here at the homefront kept me from venturing out this time. :(

Congrats on a successful show Wally. I think you should change your dealer name to Wally's World.

Your inventory looks pretty sweet. What was selling and what was sitting?

Thanks! Dollar books were rolling at this show.

We sold some nice IM 55, GA Bats, BA Neal Adams Tecs, Silver Surfers and Doctors Strange.

The one thing that I noticed is that my HG raws were sitting and they folks were buying up the

mid grades of the same copy left and right.

I wonder what I can do to get the HG folks into the house other than slash prices on the

HG to basically giving them away.

:P

Congrats on a successful show Wally. I think you should change your dealer name to Wally's World.

We sold some nice IM 55, GA Bats, BA Neal Adams Tecs, Silver Surfers and Doctors Strange.

The one thing that I noticed is that my HG raws were sitting and they folks were buying up the

I wonder what I can do to get the HG folks into the house other than slash prices on the

If you bring those two books we talked about over to the Raleigh show on December 2nd, I'll go ahead and take em :headbang:

Also, I wanna give a shout out to all that helped me make a great show...

A Big hats off to my partner in crime Tsp99, Golden Gurl, ComicParadox, Mellow Zack &

CrazySkirtChasin'Greg.

Capt Comics also help me keep my ducks in a row as well...

:applause::applause::applause:

If you bring those two books we talked about over to the Raleigh show on December 2nd, I'll go ahead and take em :headbang:

maybe we can work a trade with some of that avengers run you snagged ol' bean!

;)

Sold a ton of books. Both off the wall and in the boxes.

Bought a Bats #232 and a Marvel Premiere #15 Friday night and sold them both Saturday

Here are a few of the other nicer wall books I sold

FF #8

FF #18

FF #49

FF #51

FF #55

JLA #1

Logan's Run #6

TOS #52

Spidey #33

;)

If I can get em processed (thumbs u

;)

If I can get em processed (thumbs u

It's kind of funny, but that time when you stopped by late in the show I hadn't had

a chance to eat all day and my blood sugar was low, I was fading like a drank a fifth of liquor...

or maybe I did drink a fifth, I can't remember.

:/

From my experience selling at local shows there is a lot of sticker shock. Lots of people want the quality books but most of them have a budget of $100 to $200. I love taking low grade keys as they seem to fly out the door.

Don't give up on the high grade books though, every once in a while a 'whale' will come to the booth and spend big mamma money.

The one constant through all the years, Alan, has been Comic Books. America has

rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt

and erased again. But Comic Books has marked the time. This Marvel, these DCs

and Indys: it's a part of our past, Alan. It reminds us of all that once was good and

that could be again. Oh... people will come Alan. People will most definitely come.

132188.jpg

:cloud9:

From my experience selling at local shows there is a lot of sticker shock. Lots of people want the quality books but most of them have a budget of $100 to $200. I love taking low grade keys as they seem to fly out the door.

Don't give up on the high grade books though, every once in a while a 'whale' will come to the booth and spend big mamma money.

Agreed

$3-$100 books are still the staple of any comic book inventory.

Agreed

Yes, that makes sense and don't get me wrong I had a great show, I just always see room for improvement.

I'll just have to get more into the mid grade scene if I want to roll like the big dogs.

(thumbs u

Agreed

Yes, that makes sense and don't get me wrong I had a great show, I just always see room for improvement.

I'll just have to get more into the mid grade scene if I want to roll like the big dogs.

(thumbs u

Your sign says pre 1979 comics. There are so many younger collectors looking for modern books that you're essentially ignoring 50% or more of collectors. And every year that goes by results in more collectors looking for CA to Modern and less looking for the 'old' stuff.

Granted, I'm assuming that because you're not buying 1979 to current that you don't stock it either.