• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital lines added after pencils...buying the pencils

3 posts in this topic

What do you think is the right approach between timing of pencil and digital work on a piece of original art?

Here is the scenario:

The artist does a cover on pencil, then scans it in to do the lines digitally rather than with an inker. He prints it out to look at it, and realizes that he would prefer to add some large scale design element like a building or the moon. He decides to then add it in digitally, and sends it off to the colorist.

In the discussion with the buyer of the OA, directly from the artist, the artist offers to draw in the design element from the printed cover onto the original pencils so that the pencils can be displayed with the printed cover.

What do you do?

Do you accept the after-submission addition on the pencils that makes it closer (if not indistinguishable) to the printed version, knowing that it was done by the same hand, while running the risk that it might not match up?

Or do you request the pencils without that extra work done post submission, even though you know that the cover will never display well, since you can explain why the moon is missing (added digitally post-pencils) but you never have to explain why the moon isn't a perfect match to the printed copy (added after it went to the printers).

Would appreciate your thoughts...I am leaning toward asking for the pencils to have the design element added.

You do have other choices...stats, overlays, etc. Just saying.

I have had similar experiences but never know what to do. It is a very personal decision and my thoughts may differ piece to piece depending on art and artist.