• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February Heritage Auctions (holy cow)!

107 posts in this topic

The description of the JO 133 cover lays it on pretty think. "Perfection"? The page is inked by Colletta and features redrawn faces by Plastino. Sorry, that falls short of perfection in my book. On the other hand, it IS the first Fourth World cover, & that ain't chopped liver. Looking forward to the picture.

Between #121 and #122, the former is the more important issue of the two. That said, the #122 cover has the money shot of Gwen dead in Spidey's arms with the GG bearing down on him and the #121 does not. The #121 cover gets an A+ for nostalgia, but as for the content/aesthetics...well, personally, I'd much rather have the #122 cover or the #121 complete story (or, heck, even just the last several pages of the book) over the #121 cover when it comes to the best content featuring Gwen's death. When the #121 complete story sold 5-6 years ago, I don't think anybody thought the cover was worth as much as the story; probably not even half as much judging from conversations I had with people at the time (heck, some here still don't think the cover is worth as much as what the #121 story sold for back then!)

I have to say, the #121 cover has really grown on me over the past several weeks. I mean, I still think the #122 cover has the better content/aesthetics, as I said above, but the #121 just seems to tug harder on the nostalgia strings than I thought. And, more often than not, nostalgia trumps aesthetics when it comes to this hobby.

That said, I still think $300-$500K+ would be pretty :screwy: Not to say it couldn't happen in the current environment, though.

http://dialbforblog.com/archives/391/

Scroll about halfway down on that one. And this:

http://dialbforblog.com/archives/389/

kane_swipe.jpg

Very cool. Had not seen that.

As I recall the blogger seemed so anti-Kane that Captain Ahab seems wishy-washy by comparison. Kane was not just bad in this guy's view but evil incarnate.

He called the art swiping unforgivable even as he acknowledged that Kane freely admitted copying poses, and so did virtually every other artist of the day.

As I recall, the blogger is so anti-Kane that he goes completelyoff the rails at points. Daming Kane for plagiarizing other scripts and then, a few breaths later, offering proof that Finger wrote Detective 27 by pointing out that Finger, not Kane, plagiarized the story from a recent issue of a pulp series. Completely missing the giant contadiction in his writings.

He also called Kane despicable for claiming credit for Robin, even though Robinson and Bill Finger disputed not just Kane but each other -- with all three men saying they created Robin and the other two were wrong, or even liars. So the blogger actually uses the three-way claim to villify Kane for taking credit from both men, and doesn't fault either Robinson or Finger for taking claim from each other.

If you want to take sides in a dispute and villify people, fine, And maybe Kane was despicable in other ways. But it completely undercuts a guy's position and shines a harsh light on his pre-conceived agenda when he embraces any claim against Kane, even when the claims themselves are contradictory and/or point to similar behavior in others who are not criticized.