• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-MEN 117

10 posts in this topic

I used a combination of things to grade. Sometimes knowing the book well can play a part in my guess.

Here is my copy to compare.

CCF21112012_00000.jpg

I tend to grade "backward", in that I scan a book quickly and

a) determine what it can't be....in this case, a quick scan and I saw the corner crease. At that size, I don't recall seeing a book in a 8.5 slab or higher with a corner crease that big. I studied a lot of slabs and I can always be wrong here.

b) so now that my base is 8.0 or lower, I knock off a little for general "wears". Noticed the black area of the demon compared to Casey's copy and mine?, there are some surface wears on his along with other little flaws on the spine and edges, etc...

...and voila, that is how I arrived at 7.5

I do this to all book...I grade backward. If I see a book with a 4" crease....right away, 6.5 max since I have seen and owned many slabs with that big of a crease in a 6.5 slab. The book can have many other little flaws and still be 6.5. As we all know, the lower the grade, the more flaws are allowed so just because there is a 4" crease and 5 spine ticks, the book can still be 6.5

the little flaws matter more in 8.0 or above..once you go below that, I don't bother counting how many ticks to knock off grade(s).

and that is my "secret" of grading. :grin:

I have mental notes on many of these major flaws such as

sub crease - max 6.0

detached one staple from a cover - max 6.0

4" crease - max 6.5

1/4" corner crease - max 9.4 ( I disagree with CGC standard on this the most but it is what it is because you can find so many examples of 9.4 slabs with 1/4" corner crease)

etc...