• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead – Celebrity Signatures Questions

18 posts in this topic

I purchased some early walking dead issues including WD #3 & WD #19 and wanted to see if it was worth getting the actors signatures on these issues or could it devalue the books.

I notice that a majority of the actors attend the conventions like Norman Reedus, Chandler Riggs, Etc. I figured that CGC board members would have a better idea if Cast member signatures would help or if I should just focus on Kirkman, Adlard and Moore.

You’re Thoughts

I purchased some early walking dead issues including WD #3 & WD #19 and wanted to see if it was worth getting the actors signatures on these issues or could it devalue the books.

I notice that a majority of the actors attend the conventions like Norman Reedus, Chandler Riggs, Etc. I figured that CGC board members would have a better idea if Cast member signatures would help or if I should just focus on Kirkman, Adlard and Moore.

You’re Thoughts

I love celebrity signed books, but I would not have random celebrities signing keys. There may be someone that would really like to have the Michonne actress on a 19 or the Governor on a 27, but I wouldn't. I feel like it would limit your market on resale. If you want to do it for yourself, great, but when you use words like "worth it" it makes me think there is a resale value aspect to the question.

I like to have the creators on keys and celebs on non-keys.

You’re Thoughts

I love celebrity signed books, but I would not have random celebrities signing keys. There may be someone that would really like to have the Michonne actress on a 19 or the Governor on a 27, but I wouldn't. I feel like it would limit your market on resale. If you want to do it for yourself, great, but when you use words like "worth it" it makes me think there is a resale value aspect to the question.

I agree, if its a personal want, go for it but for resale, not so much.

You’re Thoughts

I agree, if its a personal want, go for it but for resale, not so much.

+1

Get one of the photo variants and use that to get signed. The zombie face one or the zombies behind the fence photo cover are great for cast signed stuff. Don't waste keys unless it Kirkman and Moore and/or Adlard signatures only

I will go against the grain on this one, I think getting someone like Michonne along with the creators to sign the #19 or with #27 getting the Governor along with the creators to sign it that it would be a pretty rare Sig Series book and may get you more overall than less. How much more who knows.

I wouldn't recommend getting just the actor though on such a key book because yeah that would limit your market for resale.

I will go against the grain on this one, I think getting someone like Michonne along with the creators to sign the #19 or with #27 getting the Governor along with the creators to sign it that it would be a pretty rare Sig Series book and may get you more overall than less. How much more who knows.

I agree with this, but why roll the dice and incur the extra expense? If an SS 19 is going to get you $1250 in 9.8 and you can maybe squeeze another $150-200 if you have the Michonne actress on it, why incur the expense ($30 signing fee + resub + shipping) and the risk of a downgrade (catastrophic to resale) for the small bump?

I agree with this, but why roll the dice and incur the extra expense? If an SS 19 is going to get you $1250 in 9.8 and you can maybe squeeze another $150-200 if you have the Michonne actress on it, why incur the expense ($30 signing fee + resub + shipping) and the risk of a downgrade (catastrophic to resale) for the small bump?

Because I want someone to get this type of setup on the #19 and #27 and sell them to me at cost.

lol

You are right, it is huge risk, best bet would be to get lucky to have them all at the same con and get it all done at once.

I see no problem getting the cast to sign a key issue. When the cast did their first SDCC signing I got a #1 signed and it did very well for me. In the case of 19 or 27 I would think the biggest pop would be getting the WD Weekly 19 or 27 signed, that way the buyer can really value the sig. Percentage speaking, I don't think a Gurira or Morrisey sig would raise the sales price as dramatically on a 1st print the way it would on a Weekly. I wouldn't mind though even though I've struck out on the AMC signings since that first year...

I see no problem getting the cast to sign a key issue. When the cast did their first SDCC signing I got a #1 signed and it did very well for me. In the case of 19 or 27 I would think the biggest pop would be getting the WD Weekly 19 or 27 signed, that way the buyer can really value the sig. Percentage speaking, I don't think a Gurira or Morrisey sig would raise the sales price as dramatically on a 1st print the way it would on a Weekly. I wouldn't mind though even though I've struck out on the AMC signings since that first year...

I feel the same way. I picked up the #19 Weekly 9.9 with the intention of possibly rolling the dice on cracking it and getting a yellow label at some point. I would be doing it for my own collection, but it'd be interesting if the grade is preserved hm

I feel the same way. I picked up the #19 Weekly 9.9 with the intention of possibly rolling the dice on cracking it and getting a yellow label at some point. I would be doing it for my own collection, but it'd be interesting if the grade is preserved hm

If you paid any sort of premium to get it as an already graded 9.9 I wouldn't do it. I would say the chances of it coming back a 9.8 far outweigh it keeping the 9.9 grade.

I am a big advocate of cast signed books. However, just realize that they can get really expensive. There will always be a need to add more sigs to the book, especially with the Walking Dead cast. I say, get books done when there is a large gathering of WD cast members. It won't help on autograph fee costs, but will help on future slabbing and re-slabbing fee costs. Also, try to target cast members who rarely make con apperances.

I look at it this way. I wouldn't get Emma Stone to sign the first appearance of Gwen Stacy, but I'd get her to sign a movie tie in comic. The actress who plays Maggie is making a local Tampa appearance, I may get a photo with her or her to sign a Walking Dead book but def not a key book. Just my 2 cents though

My #3 is my cast signed book. It has been a 9.6 since the beginning and after 2 diffrent crackings its still a 9.6 I may press it some day but I enjoy all the white space with the characters on that one.

Do you guys think Chandler Riggs would be worth it on a Walking Dead #3 1st Print - 1st Apperance of Carl? Or would it down grade it since he is not a fan favorite. Both him and Tony Moore will be at ECCC.

I look at it this way. I wouldn't get Emma Stone to sign the first appearance of Gwen Stacy, but I'd get her to sign a movie tie in comic. The actress who plays Maggie is making a local Tampa appearance, I may get a photo with her or her to sign a Walking Dead book but def not a key book. Just my 2 cents though

I agree with this. I love TWD cast books, but the only ones I would not get cast sigs on are #1, #2, #3, #19 and #27. That being said, if I had a lower grade copy of #3 it'd be cool to get it signed by Chandler. I would not do that with a 9.8 though.