• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlas Comics

17 posts in this topic

Anyone collect these books from the bronze age.

I collected all the #1 books

I dont know much info about them . Are they scarce print runs and are they collectible.

I remember reading an article about them in Comic Book Market place a few years ago.

Just a little curious about these.

They seemed to just copy marvel heroes They had a werewolf & a Sgt Fury type character. A vampire like Tomb of Dracula and such

I dont know much info about them . Are they scarce print runs and are they collectible.

The #1 issues are everywhere. The last issue of each series, while still pretty easy to find, are much more difficult than the 1st issues. Plus, the last issues of most of the series they totally revamped the characters trying to save the company. Amazing how bad some of the revamps were.

The #1 issues are everywhere. The last issue of each series, while still pretty easy to find, are much more difficult than the 1st issues. Plus, the last issues of most of the series they totally revamped the characters trying to save the company. Amazing how bad some of the revamps were.

Eventually, everything becomes collectible. Atlas/Seaboard was a short run, so it's at least affordable & quickly compeleted. I guess the real question is: Did you like/enjoy the characters? If you like the books, your collecting them for the right reason! "Buy what you like!" Please, don't get me started on Beanie Babies again, that's a whole 'nother story! thumbsup2.gif

Anyone collect these books from the bronze age.

I remember reading an article about them in Comic Book Market place a few years ago.

Just a little curious about these.

They seemed to just copy marvel heroes They had a werewolf & a Sgt Fury type character. A vampire like Tomb of Dracula and such

And Yes, they are not scarce, they are not currently "In Vogue" as a collectible. They were out to capitalize on the Marvel market. Martin Godman, previous owner of Atlas/Marvel was the "Captain of the Ship". If you are looking for a monetary return on your investment on these books, you better have a 200 year life span. Not trying to give you grief, it's just the reality of these books. Mediocre art and writting. Martin's main motto was "let's do what that guy's doing well, maybe sell some books ourselves!" He just happened to say that around 1940 and, POOF!, Marvel Comics #1 came out. I think Stan Lee worked along these lines too until a couple of VERY inventive guys named Jack & Steve came along and dragged him into the Silver Age! Agian, just MHO. Anyway, keep collecting what you like/enjoy!

Best of luck. flowerred.gif

And let me say this: I absolutely love what Stan "The Man" Lee did once Jack & Steve were around; some of the best pre-hero monster/horror stuff around. And his scripts on Silver Age Superheros were the best; I mean the "lost years" as I put them, around 1947 to 1958, 1959. Even he would say these weren't the best of years. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

Did I mention that: I AM FUELMAN! 27_laughing.gif

The hardest issue to find, without question, is Gothic Romances # 1. This magazine has ended up in the $350.00 range on eBay when it does show.

I'll keep that in mind! Sometimes scarcity of an issue in High Grade makes for a collectible. Good point! I sit corrected (as I am not currently standing!) devil.gif

Never really found the facination with these. Nothing special. I guess here, if you like them, collect them. Long term does not look good.

I agree, as an investment, not a good choice. The story of what happened to this company is very interesting. It rounded up all the high priced talent it could find (Adams, Ditko, Goodwin, Wood, Broderick, Hama, Chaykin and others) yet still flopped due to a meddling publisher. And 30 years later, not one character has seen the light of day.

Never really found the facination with these. Nothing special. I guess here, if you like them, collect them. Long term does not look good.

I agree, as an investment, not a good choice. The story of what happened to this company is very interesting. It rounded up all the high priced talent it could find (Adams, Ditko, Goodwin, Wood, Broderick, Hama, Chaykin and others) yet still flopped due to a meddling publisher. And 30 years later, not one character has seen the light of day.

You are absolutelly correct on this, the story behind the company IS much more interesting than the actual product they produced! I have purchased Atlas/Seaboards out of dollar bins because it was so short lived (although I still scratch my head later & wonder WTF I did that!) I figure, as I said, eventully everything becomes a collectible. And for $1.00-$2.00 an issue, what the heck!

I wasnt collecting them for investment reasons .

Most of my books are not purchased for investment reasons , makes it easy since grade dosent mean as much to me . I will take a nice Fine copy of a book over am expensive copy anyday. I do like that fact that one day I can get some of my money back if I really need it.

I collect bronze age books and I just started buying them.

Was curious abut the story on these books.

Thanks for all you help.